Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last few months, the tyres on my UK registered car have been damaged in the car park at Carrefour Benidorm (Finestrat). The first time a screw was driven into the tyre, the second was a nail and the latest was done with a knife. On each occasion, the damage was in the sidewall of the tyre and could not have been done by accidentally driving over something. A friend who also drives a UK registered car has also had his tyres damaged in the same way. :mad:

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
If you're resident in Spain (as per your profile), why are they registered in UK?????

Maybe someone objects to people breaking the law and not matriculating their vehicles?

If you are NOT Spanish resident, then maybe they think you are - is your profile correct?

·
Registered
248 Posts
chances are it's a distraction crime attempt. They will be going in one door to steel stuff whilst you are on the other side of the car fixing the spare wheel on. Happened to me in Barcelona once but I caught them out as I had to get the locking wheel nut adapter out of the glove box and found a bandit trying the passenger door. I managed to scare them off with the wheel nut wrench that was conveniently in my hand at the time.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you're resident in Spain (as per your profile), why are they registered in UK?????

Maybe someone objects to people breaking the law and not matriculating their vehicles?

If you are NOT Spanish resident, then maybe they think you are - is your profile correct?
Hi - are these supposed to be valid reasons for such criminal and potentially life-threatening activity? I wonder if we'd expect such 'excuses' to be acceptable if a Spanish registered car were to be damaged, similarly, in the UK?
I, for one, sympathise with the OP car owner and hope that such vandalism does not occur again.

Saludos,
GC

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Its a possible reason, whether its acceptable or not I guess. In certain areas, there is a "dislike" of expats arriving and taking the few jobs - no its not rational, nor is it right, but, if it is the UK registered car thats causing it to happen, the culprit would be better off informing the guardia of the car, rather than vandalising it!!

That said, are there other cars/non UK cars getting the same treatment and what do Carrefour have to say?? Altho they're not responsible financially, they may have CCTV or wardens who may offer advice or help??

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
Does that make it OK?

no of course it doesn't make it OK

but it might just explain why it keeps happening :(, although as jojo says. if that's the issue, then whoever is doing it should really just inform the Guardia

which is what you should do when it happens

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Does that make it OK?
Of course not! Just might be their reasoning.

Why are the vehicles in question not legalized? Don't forget, if they are here illegally then they might not even have valid insurance.

<begin rant>

I, and many others on this forum, can not understand why so many Brits (and other foreigners) think it's OK to break the law and keep vehicles on foreign plates despite living in Spain!

<end rant>

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Of course not! Just might be their reasoning.

Why are the vehicles in question not legalized? Don't forget, if they are here illegally then they might not even have valid insurance.

<begin rant>

I, and many others on this forum, can not understand why so many Brits (and other foreigners) think it's OK to break the law and keep vehicles on foreign plates despite living in Spain!

<end rant>
Totally agree. These people are evading tax either here or in the UK as well as breaking the law. I'm more concerned at the roadworthiness of some of these vehicles, not the insurance which is nearly always valid, despite the illegality.

I don't condone acts of vandalism but whenever I see a UK registered car which clearly belongs to a resident I do feel like leaving a note saying 'Observe Spanish law or go back to where you came from'.

It's this cavalier 'I'm a Brit, these laws don't apply to me' attitude that understandably irks the Guardia and others who deal with these offenders and often sours their attitude towards the rest of us who observe laws and don't think that Spain is a British colony and we come as conquistadores.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Totally agree. These people are evading tax either here or in the UK as well as breaking the law. I'm more concerned at the roadworthiness of some of these vehicles, not the insurance which is nearly always valid, despite the illegality.

I don't condone acts of vandalism but whenever I see a UK registered car which clearly belongs to a resident I do feel like leaving a note saying 'Observe Spanish law or go back to where you came from'.

It's this cavalier 'I'm a Brit, these laws don't apply to me' attitude that understandably irks the Guardia and others who deal with these offenders and often sours their attitude towards the rest of us who observe laws and don't think that Spain is a British colony and we come as conquistadores.

I too have thought about leaving such a note. When I'm really p*ssed off, I even contemplate removing their rear number plate. I wonder how long it would take them to get a replacement? (I wouldn't do this or condone any one else doing it, of course :rolleyes:).

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
In the last few months, the tyres on my UK registered car have been damaged in the car park at Carrefour Benidorm (Finestrat). The first time a screw was driven into the tyre, the second was a nail and the latest was done with a knife. On each occasion, the damage was in the sidewall of the tyre and could not have been done by accidentally driving over something. A friend who also drives a UK registered car has also had his tyres damaged in the same way. :mad:
Odds on it was the Roma trying it on (as has been said) and looking to rob you.
Of course a UK plated car will catch their eye as they will assume that you are new here, so in your case I would avoid shopping there on the likes of Lidl / Aldi where I have heard that they target unwary shoppers.

Doubt its another Brit though, still you never know reading some of the comments on this thread. ;)

For sure you are best to get the issue sorted at some stage (UK plates that is) and thereare a few dealers who run adds in the free press who will take a UK plated car in as a PX.

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
is it maybe a racism sign?

I have never heard if Brits are welcome in Spain...
really??

certainly I've never come across anti-Brit feeling per se

anti-foreigners of all nationalities who break the law, or don't appear to believe that the law applies them, or that they don't need to pay tax on their earnings etc., yes

I'd say it's likely to be either scenario put forward - either someone hoping to rob the newcomers, or someone angry at the foreigners who, if they live here & don't matriculate their cars to Spanish plates, are breaking the law

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I assume that you have reported it to the GC on each occasion ?
After the 2nd time I'd have been lying in wait for them ! :spy: :brick: :laser: :madgrin:

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
is it maybe a racism sign?

I have never heard if Brits are welcome in Spain...
I've not heard of Brits being UN welcome in Spain, although I wouldn't be surprised if they were in some areas due to unsocial behaviour more than taking jobs from the Spanish or illegal practices like not registering vehicles

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
I've not heard of Brits being UN welcome in Spain, although I wouldn't be surprised if they were in some areas due to unsocial behaviour more than taking jobs from the Spanish or illegal practices like not registering vehicles
Brits certainly aren't unwelcome where I live, quite the opposite. The locals are far more likely to knock on the door and tell you you've left your lights on than slash your tyres.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Brits certainly aren't unwelcome where I live, quite the opposite. The locals are far more likely to knock on the door and tell you you've left your lights on than slash your tyres.
Or bring tomatoes, oranges, chestnuts, home pressed olive oil, whatever is in season and in surplus on their fincas...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since then, I have been told that at least 2 Norwegian registered cars have also had their tyres tampered with in the same car park. Not just Anglophobia then but general xenophobia by the look of it.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Since then, I have been told that at least 2 Norwegian registered cars have also had their tyres tampered with in the same car park. Not just Anglophobia then but general xenophobia by the look of it.
I hope you all have informed the store and indeed the guardia, so that they can keep a watch

Jo xxx

1 - 20 of 75 Posts