Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get SkySports in Spain? Like through a digital box or perhaps even the internet (officially - as I know about 'other streaming' and generally the streams are poor quality and often very unreliable).

Currently renting a property and have PTV internet (with their freeview channels) contracted through the Spanish owners.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
You can always get a dish and a Sky box and pay for it like we do. Perfect picture, no buffering like IPTV and sort of legal...

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The only problem is - because it's " live" but of course there's an hours time difference- the players have to remember exactly where they were on the pitch 60 mins ago

Sometimes watching games can be irritating as you observe the players arguing where exactly they were on the field an hour previous

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Until we got fibre optic we too paid for the full Sky package, about 100 euros a month plus 120 euros annual 'maintenance charge'.
We switched to a package costing 30 euros a month, 150 euros one off installation fee. For that we get every sports channel under the sun....full Sky Sports package, Bein, Polsat, BT Sport as well as all BBC, ITV etc programmes, all Sky programmes, boxed sets, catchup tv and literally thousands of movies.
I have no idea whether it's legal or not and don't really care. Most people I know have it including Spanish friends. Some movies come with Greek subtitles (!) but they can be removed.
Picture quality is good, very little buffering and then only on BBC 24 News for some reason.
We've still got our BBC ITV via satellite for sport and BBC channels should there be a problem with the main setup.
Anyone living in the Marbella - Estepona -Manilva area interested can pm me.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Just for my own interest, what is on Sky Sports that is not on an equivalent Spanish provider's service?

Or is it a question of wanting the commentary in English?

Or is it that Sky is cheaper?

·
Banned
81 Posts
Hi.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get SkySports in Spain? Like through a digital box or perhaps even the internet (officially - as I know about 'other streaming' and generally the streams are poor quality and often very unreliable).
Thanks.
Have a look at getting a NOWTV Box then you can choose whatever package you wish and full HD. You'd need to get a friend or family member to buy it for you in the U.K and send it over to you (box only £15.00) and use a Smart DNS (approx €4 a moth)
What is NOW TV?

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Just for my own interest, what is on Sky Sports that is not on an equivalent Spanish provider's service?

Or is it a question of wanting the commentary in English?

Or is it that Sky is cheaper?
No, Sky is definitely not cheaper. As I said we were forking out 120 euros a month for our full package which did not come with BT Sport or Premium Sport.
Not all matches are on Sky. We used to watch on our Spanish tv but prefer the pre and post match commentaries in English.

The good thing about our 30euro a month package is the sheer number of sports channels from all over the world. All Sky Sports, with BT Sport, ESPN plus French, Dutch, German, Italian, French, Polish and other sports channels.
The 30 euro monthly fee includes callout too as well as original setup if needed for any reason. You can also ask for a series or movie in any language to be added if you can't find it on the package.
I can't imagine better vfm, frankly.

·
Banned
81 Posts
No, Sky is definitely not cheaper. As I said we were forking out 120 euros a month for our full package which did not come with BT Sport or Premium Sport.
Not all matches are on Sky. We used to watch on our Spanish tv but prefer the pre and post match commentaries in English.

The good thing about our 30euro a month package is the sheer number of sports channels from all over the world. All Sky Sports, with BT Sport, ESPN plus French, Dutch, German, Italian, French, Polish and other sports channels.
The 30 euro monthly fee includes callout too as well as original setup if needed for any reason. You can also ask for a series or movie in any language to be added if you can't find it on the package.
I can't imagine better vfm, frankly.
I can, an Amazon Firesick with Kodi + and its all FREE

·
Registered
518 Posts
Until we got fibre optic we too paid for the full Sky package, about 100 euros a month plus 120 euros annual 'maintenance charge'.

We switched to a package costing 30 euros a month, 150 euros one off installation fee. For that we get every sports channel under the sun....full Sky Sports package, Bein, Polsat, BT Sport as well as all BBC, ITV etc programmes, all Sky programmes, boxed sets, catchup tv and literally thousands of movies.

I have no idea whether it's legal or not and don't really care. Most people I know have it including Spanish friends. Some movies come with Greek subtitles (!) but they can be removed.

Picture quality is good, very little buffering and then only on BBC 24 News for some reason.

We've still got our BBC ITV via satellite for sport and BBC channels should there be a problem with the main setup.

Anyone living in the Marbella - Estepona -Manilva area interested can pm me.

These are basically IPTV mag boxes and suppliers of these vary in price but you basically get the same thing as the software is the same. Any supplier will lower their price if you ask or play one off against the other. My neighbour has changed suppliers and is now paying 120€ for the year after paying 300 last year (and they were putting it up!!). You can adapt an android box to carry the software but it's better on a mag box. The upfront cost for the box can vary too. My neighbour already had is but the new supplier did them for 75€ and then the 120€ subs.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Don't quite understand why anyone would be paying anyone a subscription for this as it's all FREE. If its films and sports + u.k tv you want why not an Amazon Firestick £30 then just install KODI and a few add ons such as Covenant - UKTURKS - Sports World and its all FREE. Then if you want use a vpn or dns changer at 3.5 euros a month and get all the legit u.k apps bbc iplayer itv hub etc

·
Registered
518 Posts
Don't quite understand why anyone would be paying anyone a subscription for this as it's all FREE. If its films and sports + u.k tv you want why not an Amazon Firestick £30 then just install KODI and a few add ons such as Covenant - UKTURKS - Sports World and its all FREE. Then if you want use a vpn or dns changer at 3.5 euros a month and get all the legit u.k apps bbc iplayer itv hub etc

From my neighbours point of view he likes the simplicity of having a TV guide like a sky TV guide and can just go from one channel to the next. Using an android box can be a bit fiddly and user unfriendly so there's a trade off between convenience and price I think. He's happy to pay a tenner a month for the simplicity of the user interface.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Frankly, I couldn't be bothered with all that fiddling about.
It's like mowing my lawn. Currently I pay a gardener to do it. When I can't afford to I'll do it myself...

·
Banned
81 Posts
I was only responding to your quote of paying €30 per month "I can't imagine better vfm." And to me FREE is better VFM nothing to do with whether one could afford it or not. But again its all personal choice.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
A lot of people in our area happily rip off gullible folk and charge them huge sums of money for a free service. My parents who live nearby used to have a Sky subscription but dropped it when they discovered they were paying €120 a year for 'maintenance'. This turned out to be a charge from the people who set up their Sky account. I have never paid a maintenance charge here or in the UK. It is more expensive but I get HDTV, no buffering (there is a lot of buffering from IPTV here) and because we have an HD box we also get catchup on demand which means I can record any UK terrestrial programmes if I want to. Works fine for me but I do hate those people who are ripping folk off.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Frankly, I couldn't be bothered with all that fiddling about.
It's like mowing my lawn. Currently I pay a gardener to do it. When I can't afford to I'll do it myself...
Exactly

I am totally the same when it comes to tough meat and tooth fillings

Currently I pay a local to chew dodgy steaks for me and attend nasty dental appointments on my behalf

Whenever my dosh runs out I will have to take on both tasks myself, but until then- let the good times roll

·
Banned
30 Posts
Even if I had money to burn I would certainly feel uncomfortable paying money for something that is available for free, especially in this context of IPTV suppliers who imo are glorified highway robbers praying on a certain section of the expat population. Also would gall me know that a proportion of the money is going to the criminal element who supply these dodgy tv streams, which when truth is told are in the main very poor 480p streams at best.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts