Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skype..... Banned in the UAE

10K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Dozza 
#1 ·
Is skype banned in the UAE or where can I get it installed to my computer??

Thanks for your help

#2 ·
Why don't you visit their website and try to download it (to see if it's banned or not). It would be easier than waiting here for a reply.

I just downloaded and installed Skype, so no, it is not banned in the UAE. However, similar websites and services are.

But, you should be good to go with Skype!

#12 ·
Yes, it is called SkypeIn and allows you to use your skype to call landlines/mobiles, download it from Skype website, top up your credit and away you go.
Skype to landline is 1p a minute. I also have a local UK number from Skype (costs me about £5 month I think) so folks at home can ring me on that number and it costs them the same as a local UK call.

#20 ·
If I do not have my vpn on, it doesnt come up with the death screen but rather just does not nothing and just sits quietly, not making the dial tone nor the busy or messed up call sound when trying to use my yahoo service. If the service is not working due to a connection issue (I have slow speed that clocks at like 14 or 15 kbps most of the time) being too slow or just not right, the service provider themselves will come back with a message.

Of course vpns are not to be used here, so I am referring to when I am in other countries and using the service......................

:juggle:

#22 ·
I had heard the same that skype was banned before i moved here. But since I already had it installed in my computer, it works perfectly fine. But i have heard that u cannot use the actual skype phone in this country..

If u haven’t got it installed, try to get it on CD from someone who has... other option, is paying for VPN and accessing the skype website that way..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.