Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why don't you visit their website and try to download it (to see if it's banned or not). It would be easier than waiting here for a reply.

I just downloaded and installed Skype, so no, it is not banned in the UAE. However, similar websites and services are.

But, you should be good to go with Skype!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Skype is blocked by Etisalat, but Du haven't blocked it.

Du will allow you to make Skype to Skype calls, but not Skype to landline

·
Registered
15 Posts
If using Etislat you cannot download it from the net as it is blocked, but once you have the software on a portable drive, you can transfer it to your computer and use it without any issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is skype banned in the UAE or where can I get it installed to my computer??

Thanks for your help
Hi, you have to install it outside the UAE and should work once you come back.

I did mine in the uk and it worked when i brought my laptop back to the uae.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a laptop from Carrefour the other day and it was preloaded. Haven't checked if it's working though. Also downloaded it onto my husband's pc, just to check if it was blocked and it worked perfectly. So give it a try and see what happens.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Folks

Any help you can offer would be greatful

I have skype installed already, how do I use it to call mobiles, etc,

What I am asking is, is there a way around the block...I have read about VPN's, but I cant even download one of them as they also appear to be blocked!! :(

Thanks

Craig

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
If you are on Etislat, go to a friends house where they have DU to download it then it will work fine on Etisalat

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Yes, it is called SkypeIn and allows you to use your skype to call landlines/mobiles, download it from Skype website, top up your credit and away you go.
Skype to landline is 1p a minute. I also have a local UK number from Skype (costs me about £5 month I think) so folks at home can ring me on that number and it costs them the same as a local UK call.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes, it is called SkypeIn and allows you to use your skype to call landlines/mobiles, download it from Skype website, top up your credit and away you go.
Skype to landline is 1p a minute. I also have a local UK number from Skype (costs me about £5 month I think) so folks at home can ring me on that number and it costs them the same as a local UK call.
Thats the problem, credit is all uploaded, it just wont ring out. I can only presume this is due to the facility being blocked & I dont have a VPN in place

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
If it was blocked you would get a pop up telling you it was blocked so that is not the problem.
I am using mine perfectly without a VPN. Maybe your Internet speed is too low.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If it was blocked you would get a pop up telling you it was blocked so that is not the problem.
I am using mine perfectly without a VPN. Maybe your Internet speed is too low.
hmmmmm....The internet is rather slow...I will try tomorrow day time, seems to be quicker in the day.

You dial the number, it then just times out & hangs up...Doesnt even start the ringing tone?

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
If it is not doing anything, it is blocked and not going to work. Will have to find alternative methods...

·
Registered
868 Posts
hmmmmm....The internet is rather slow...I will try tomorrow day time, seems to be quicker in the day.

You dial the number, it then just times out & hangs up...Doesnt even start the ringing tone?
thats most likely the problem then, try to test somewhere with a better connection

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
If I do not have my vpn on, it doesnt come up with the death screen but rather just does not nothing and just sits quietly, not making the dial tone nor the busy or messed up call sound when trying to use my yahoo service. If the service is not working due to a connection issue (I have slow speed that clocks at like 14 or 15 kbps most of the time) being too slow or just not right, the service provider themselves will come back with a message.

Of course vpns are not to be used here, so I am referring to when I am in other countries and using the service......................

:juggle:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.