Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Can you tell me if there is UK tv in Cyprus is it SKY ?

What is the cost ?

TIA:ranger:
Yes we have Uk TV.
You can have freeview channels which costs nothing once you have the box and sky card or you can pay to have the whole sky package. I dont know how much that is as we just have freeview. We get all the ITV and BBC channels and quite a few others.

Veronica

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes we have Uk TV.
You can have freeview channels which costs nothing once you have the box and sky card or you can pay to have the whole sky package. I dont know how much that is as we just have freeview. We get all the ITV and BBC channels and quite a few others.

Veronica
Thanks so much Veronica thats a load off my mind and another tick in a box lol

:clap2:

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
How are you doing this Veronica? Are you using a UK address as the registration address for the card or did your TV aerial place 'supply' a card?

My husband says that officially Sky is only available in the UK.
You can get cards from any of the people who supply the satelite dishes, which is where we got our original card. If you want the full package they can also see to that for you at a cost.
We are not bothered about the full package but our card gets us all of the freeviews channels.
These are the channels that we get. (The ones I have found so far)

102 BBC2
103 ITV
104 Channel 4
105 Channel 5
108 Sky three
115 BBC three
116 BBC4
131 ITV2+1
135 Channel 4+1
139 More 4+1
155 Hollywood TV
157 Film24
167 InfoTV
168 Alba
174 Five US
175 Five US +1
176 Fiver
177 Fiver+1
178 Men and Motors
180 ITV4+1
186 Life
188 Showcase TV
188 True Entertainment
201 Paranormal
203 Channel M
207 Nuts TV
280 Horse and country
501 Sky news
861 Gala TV
974 BBC
994 Channel 4

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can get cards from any of the people who supply the satelite dishes, which is where we got our original card. If you want the full package they can also see to that for you at a cost.
We are not bothered about the full package but our card gets us all of the freeviews channels.
These are the channels that we get. (The ones I have found so far)

102 BBC2
103 ITV
104 Channel 4
105 Channel 5
108 Sky three
115 BBC three
116 BBC4
131 ITV2+1
135 Channel 4+1
139 More 4+1
155 Hollywood TV
157 Film24
167 InfoTV
168 Alba
174 Five US
175 Five US +1
176 Fiver
177 Fiver+1
178 Men and Motors
180 ITV4+1
186 Life
188 Showcase TV
188 True Entertainment
201 Paranormal
203 Channel M
207 Nuts TV
280 Horse and country
501 Sky news
861 Gala TV
974 BBC
994 Channel 4
Thats really good for free to view

We will have to have the full SKY package as my hubby is sky sports addict lol

I don t think he would relocate if there was no sport !!!! How sad is that lol:confused2::confused2:

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
My hubby is also a sports addict but between the sport which is available on the freeview channels and the interactive and his computer he is quite happy with what he gets.
If there is a particular big sports event that he cant get there are loads of bars that show them on huge screens. As my hubby is not a drinker that is about the only time he ever goes into a bar.

Veronica

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is it the same showtime as in Dubai as that is continual repeats and hardly any new programmes:rolleyes:
Probably, not sure

We loved it, and found it a lot better than sky. Always something on to watch. Hubby got to see every premiership game. Films released sooner than on sky, all the top dramas from usa. LOST, Desperate housewives etc etc. great programmes for the kids.

Each to there own of course, but I would recommend it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Probably, not sure

We loved it, and found it a lot better than sky. Always something on to watch. Hubby got to see every premiership game. Films released sooner than on sky, all the top dramas from usa. LOST, Desperate housewives etc etc. great programmes for the kids.

Each to there own of course, but I would recommend it.
Sounds ok to me :D

Just can t wait to relocate lol

Trying to get as much info as we can before we leave the sandpit lol:plane:

·
Registered
8 Posts
People with the freeview boxes what size dish are you using, I have a sky package in England but a freeview would be fine for me for my apartment (still adding to it ready for the time when I make the full move over).

In England freeview is not the same as you discribe you don't need a card just a box. I have heard that sat tv is expensive in Cyprus when it comes to equipment ie boxes and dishes and I am also a little confused as to what dish will give me what.

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
People with the freeview boxes what size dish are you using, I have a sky package in England but a freeview would be fine for me for my apartment (still adding to it ready for the time when I make the full move over).

In England freeview is not the same as you discribe you don't need a card just a box. I have heard that sat tv is expensive in Cyprus when it comes to equipment ie boxes and dishes and I am also a little confused as to what dish will give me what.
The size of dish depends on where you are in Cyprus. We have a 2.7 metre dish but in some place you need a 4m dish.
If you are going to be in an apartment, check first whether any other people in your block have a dish with a spare port on it. Often people will sell or rent a port as the dishes have 4 ports on t hem. That way you spread the cost.

Veronica

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Veronica sorry to be a pain ............should I get my dad to take his UK Sky box over will that work and would it be cheaper ?

I know you probably think I think you re the oracle lol !!!! But I do do the same on the Dubai forum for people relocating to Dubai lol

Thanx

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Veronica sorry to be a pain ............should I get my dad to take his UK Sky box over will that work and would it be cheaper ?

I know you probably think I think you re the oracle lol !!!! But I do do the same on the Dubai forum for people relocating to Dubai lol

Thanx
Yes his sky box will work over here and his existing card should get all the fee view programmes. So you will only need to get a dish.

Veronica

·
Registered
17 Posts
showtime tv

can anyone tell me how much a tv package like sky is over in cyprus.
and the price of any alternatives , does a freeview box from the uk work in cyprus please thanks
barbara

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.