Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bonjour a tous...
We've just arrived in Paris and my wife is really keen (not at all nagging :)) to get some UK tv like Sky or Freesat setup. Does anyone have any experience doing the same? I've heard it's possible to get both but not sure what the best option is. We had Sky in the UK and that's what we're used to. Is Freesat roughly the same? Does it work OK in France?

Thanks in advance!

Stanley

·
Administrator
49,424 Posts
Sky is pretty easy to get in France. If you google "Sky tv in France" you should get a number of sites that can provide cards, dishes and whatever else you need. If you're in Paris, there are a number of shops that offer Sky - check something like the FUSAC (English language want ad paper) or any of the give-away English publications. (Stop by WH Smiths on the rue Rivoli for a full selection.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sky/Freesat

Sky without a subscription gives roughly the same channels as Freesat. Easiest way to get a subscription is to get a friend/relative to subscribe on your behalf, Sky won't accept an address outside of the UK. They can then send you the decoder/card.

A Freesat box can be bought over the counter but I think a UK address will have to be given so that the licence authorities can check on you.

Any local installer should be able to put up a dish for you, if you get a decoder with a built in recorder, you will need an LNB with 2 outputs and two feeds to the decoder.

Which you go for depends on your tastes, most of the time I just listen to the radio

Steve

Bonjour a tous...
We've just arrived in Paris and my wife is really keen (not at all nagging :)) to get some UK tv like Sky or Freesat setup. Does anyone have any experience doing the same? I've heard it's possible to get both but not sure what the best option is. We had Sky in the UK and that's what we're used to. Is Freesat roughly the same? Does it work OK in France?

Thanks in advance!

Stanley

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies! I did a search for how to get sky tv in France as you suggested and also how to get Freesat tv in France as I want to compare the options and found a lot of info but I'm not very technical when it comes to this stuff so still not too sure which option to go for.

We brought our Sky dish and box with us to France so I think to make life simple I would like to just set it up if possible. I was hoping to stop the contract and switch to Freesat to save money but from my searches it looks like the cost of the Freesat box is more than I thought so doesn't really offset the saving from stopping Sky.

My problem is really the setting up of the dish etc. as I don't understand satellite tv very well. I really want to do it myself if possible as I rang a couple of installers (one very close, one in Paris) and they quoted me 450 and 500 euros!

Has anyone else managed to set Sky up themselves?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Setting it up is fairly easy if you have an easily accessible place to put the dish that will allow it to "see" the Astra satellite at 28.2° East. You will need a meter but these aren't that expensive. Have a Google for Satcure co uk, there is a lot of info on there.

Thanks for the replies! I did a search for how to get sky tv in France as you suggested and also how to get Freesat tv in France as I want to compare the options and found a lot of info but I'm not very technical when it comes to this stuff so still not too sure which option to go for.

We brought our Sky dish and box with us to France so I think to make life simple I would like to just set it up if possible. I was hoping to stop the contract and switch to Freesat to save money but from my searches it looks like the cost of the Freesat box is more than I thought so doesn't really offset the saving from stopping Sky.

My problem is really the setting up of the dish etc. as I don't understand satellite tv very well. I really want to do it myself if possible as I rang a couple of installers (one very close, one in Paris) and they quoted me 450 and 500 euros!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

That price is outrageous - I had my Orange dish aligned, new LNB and connected up for €150.00. I also have Freesat set up by a company called Mayenne Satellite (English company in France) - very helpful and the installation charge was very reasonable. You HAVE to have an English hosting address for Sky and the subscriptions are ridiculous - hence Freesat. If you call Sky from France for a problem they will cut you off.

If you go to mayenne satellite web site you can compare the channels available.

Cheers

·
Registered
671 Posts
Setting it up is fairly easy if you have an easily accessible place to put the dish that will allow it to "see" the Astra satellite at 28.2° East. You will need a meter but these aren't that expensive. Have a Google for Satcure co uk, there is a lot of info on there.

Hi,
It's not that difficult, and I have frequently done it without any special equipment using just a compass and the signal strength screen on the box. (and some patience). It helps if you set up a small portable tv alongside where you are working. And you don't have to put the dish on the roof or chimney. Provided you can see the part of the sky you need you can put the dish just above head hight for ease of work and future correction (after storms etc.)

·
Registered
81 Posts
hey,

if you go to this website:- Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com put in your address and look for Astra 2a/2b/2d, you can see if there will be any probs pointing your dish to pick up freeview.

If all good, there are a few free sat finding apps on both android & iphone phones, to help line your dish up.

if you already have a sky receiver, can't you use this for free sat ???

if you can't use it, take a look on the freesat website for decoders. you can pick up cheap boxes for under £50 !!

hth

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
hey,

if you go to this website:- Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com put in your address and look for Astra 2a/2b/2d, you can see if there will be any probs pointing your dish to pick up freeview.
It's easier than that - look at the direction of the sun at about 11:00am (Paris time) if you can clearly see the sky with no obstructions (trees etc) at an angle of elevation of 28 degress (approx) then you are good to go.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I also think it's daylight robbery! Nearly fell off my chair when they gave me the price!

Just out of interest, I got the bearing for Astra 28.2E but is that the only option for Sky?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Yeah I also think it's daylight robbery! Nearly fell off my chair when they gave me the price!

Just out of interest, I got the bearing for Astra 28.2E but is that the only option for Sky?
I believe so but check the website I gave you or give them a call. Tell Sami I sent you :D

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe so but check the website I gave you or give them a call. Tell Sami I sent you :D

Cheers
Thanks for that. I've done a LOT of browsing now and I'm really keen to just try doing it myself.

Had a look at dish pointer.com and satcure.co.uk and also found this link to a guidebook through greghamilton.co.uk which seems really good for advice. Some of the website stuff is a bit too technical for me but the book seems simple to follow.

I got a compass bearing from my address to Astra 28.2E using dish pointer (very useful site thanks for that) so I think I'll give it a go aligning my sky dish with a compass (not sure about using the sun!). Problem is it's about -10 outside without wind chill factor so don't really want to get up on the roof! Think I'll just order the guidebook and wait for it to warm up a bit :)

·
Administrator
49,424 Posts
Thanks for that. I've done a LOT of browsing now and I'm really keen to just try doing it myself.

Had a look at dish pointer.com and satcure.co.uk and also found this link to a guidebook through greghamilton.co.uk which seems really good for advice. Some of the website stuff is a bit too technical for me but the book seems simple to follow.

I got a compass bearing from my address to Astra 28.2E using dish pointer (very useful site thanks for that) so I think I'll give it a go aligning my sky dish with a compass (not sure about using the sun!). Problem is it's about -10 outside without wind chill factor so don't really want to get up on the roof! Think I'll just order the guidebook and wait for it to warm up a bit :)
Good move, that waiting for things to warm up a bit!

I'll confess that when we first got our satellite dish, we hung it in a tree and pointed it manually until we could determine whether it was going to work and what satellite we wanted to aim it at. Ultimately, we hung it on the outside wall of the house, just under the bedroom window - so we can make any further adjustments from there rather than getting the ladder out again.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
39,033 Posts
When travelling through France, I have set up my portable dish a number of times to find Astra 2 and it doesn't normally take too much effort to home in on it, except where there is a large tree or an overhanging building blocking the line of sight.

Satellite for caravans. (Satellite TV at home and abroad) is very good (don't worry about the caravan bit!) and gives you a step-by-step guide in layman's language.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We're we live in Nice I used a parabolic dish on a tripod on the balcony with skybox just on free view I used this mostly for the interactive sport under the red button which had a brilliant reception however I could not receive itv or channel 4 which was annoying, nowadays I have moved away from dishes and sky and using a sling catcher linked via the Internet to a sling loaded freesat box situated in a house in the UK this actually is brilliant streams full HD and is excellent quality. Now I just want Netflix to come to France as they have in uk and spain and that would be great home from home.

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum Live the dream in Nice

·
Registered
81 Posts
We're we live in Nice I used a parabolic dish on a tripod on the balcony with skybox just on free view I used this mostly for the interactive sport under the red button which had a brilliant reception however I could not receive itv or channel 4 which was annoying, nowadays I have moved away from dishes and sky and using a sling catcher linked via the Internet to a sling loaded freesat box situated in a house in the UK this actually is brilliant streams full HD and is excellent quality. Now I just want Netflix to come to France as they have in uk and spain and that would be great home from home.

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum Live the dream in Nice
If you want netflix try a wdtv live (new version), just don't upgrade the firmware to the lastest !!!

I've got one and used along side my unblock-us sub, i've got uk & us netflix here in france :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you want netflix try a wdtv live (new version), just don't upgrade the firmware to the lastest !!!

I've got one and used along side my unblock-us sub, i've got uk & us netflix here in france :)
Thanks for the info technology is moving so fast with new products all the time awesome really is this used via a VPN in France?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the info technology is moving so fast with new products all the time awesome really is this used via a VPN in France?
unblock-us isn't a vpn service, it's a dns server service. basically it's much easier (and cheaper) to use than a vpn, but it only alows you to use a number of mainly british & american online tv services.

take a look here - Unblock Us - smarter faster VPN

if you go into the support section, you can see a list of supported sites.

hth

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.