Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am awaiting my skills application so have not yet applied for the state sponsorship, however I have a few questions as my husband and I have a few dilemmas.

I have two young children who will be a part of my application along with mY husband, but is it possible to add my mother in law, who is 78?

If not, can she come on a visitor visa for 6 months? What are the requirements? The details on the immigration website are confusing and I do not want it to hinder my application, if I add my mother in law.

Any advice, suggestions would be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
You cannot add the mother in law as she would not be considered a dependent. Even if she is financially dependent on you, the fact that you are from the UK precludes the possibility of her being considered a dependent since theoretically the government could support her financially. Parents can only be classed as dependents if the applicants are from countries where there is a very weak or non-existent welfare system and if there are no other relatives that would be able to support them.

She can apply for a long stay visitor visa once you are in Australia. If granted, she would be able to stay for up to 12 months.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts