Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 550 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help.

We are planning on emmigrating using the 175 Skilled Migration Visa, and we are at the start of the process, and about to get my skills assessed.

I have been working as an architect in the UK for over 5 years now. I did my Master degree in Architecture in Poland, but this is not automatically recognised by the RIBA (UK architects board).

The assessing body in Australia is the AACA, and was wondering if anyone had experience going through their recognition process? We would like to know

1. Is it possible to gain recognition with my Masters degree only.
2. They dont seem to want any details about work experience, is it wise to submit this anyway, and are there any other documents we would be reccomended to send over and above what is required?

I am taking my Polish accreditation exams in June, and this would entitle me to be offically called an Architect in both the UK and Poland. We dont know if it best to wait until I've passed the exam, or submit now as we are desperate to get to Australia before starting a family.

Does anyone have experience of going through the AACA with this Polish (or any other non-recongnised UK) qualification?

Many thanks

Kamila
:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
AACA Skills Assessment

Hi Kamila,

I'm a UK qualified architect (since 1994) who emigrated to Brisbane in June 2009, and am currently going through the AACA process. I sent my academic equivalency application in last week.

I came over on a Spouse visa as I was under the impression that architects had been dropped from the Skilled Migrant programme due to the plentiful availability of local job candidates - I hope I'm wrong!

The AACA process happens in stages, the first of which is to establish 'equivalency' of the migrant's academic qualifications to those of Australia.
They will only assess your professional experience once you've had a successful review of your academic qualifications, so there is no point in sending information on your work experience just yet - they would probably send it back & perhaps send back the whole application.
In theory it should make no difference whether your qualifications are Polish or British - they system is meant to be even handed, and UK qualifications (quite rightly) do not get any special recognition.
I would carefully go through the requirements listed on the AACA website, and make sure you provide no more or no less than they ask.

You will need to do the same registration process whether or not you are an EU/UK/Polish recognised architect, so there's no benefit in waiting, and I've been told the Aussie assessment process can take 4-6 months.

Once the academic assessment is done, the professional assessment includes 2 years of log sheets, including 1 year in Australia, so keep copies of any log sheets or timesheets you already have - the AACA logsheets have just gone online so you can start filling in (a year of) your UK experience for future use anytime.

Make sure you continue with your Polish qualifications now, otherwise you'd have to do the same process in reverse should you ever want to return to Europe - there's no mutual recognition of Architect qualifications between Australia and other countries (except New Zealand).

I hope this helps - any questions just ask....

Good luck!

Shaun M

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help.

We are planning on emmigrating using the 175 Skilled Migration Visa, and we are at the start of the process, and about to get my skills assessed.

I have been working as an architect in the UK for over 5 years now. I did my Master degree in Architecture in Poland, but this is not automatically recognised by the RIBA (UK architects board).

The assessing body in Australia is the AACA, and was wondering if anyone had experience going through their recognition process? We would like to know

1. Is it possible to gain recognition with my Masters degree only.
2. They dont seem to want any details about work experience, is it wise to submit this anyway, and are there any other documents we would be reccomended to send over and above what is required?

I am taking my Polish accreditation exams in June, and this would entitle me to be offically called an Architect in both the UK and Poland. We dont know if it best to wait until I've passed the exam, or submit now as we are desperate to get to Australia before starting a family.

Does anyone have experience of going through the AACA with this Polish (or any other non-recongnised UK) qualification?

Many thanks

Kamila
:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Shaun,

I am also an UK registered architect (qualified in 2008) and entered the country on a Temporary Spouse visa. I have been in Sydney since April 2009 and have just started looking into getting registered here.

I am wondering whether you have had to fill out Form R, and if you did, whether you know AACA recognises having a temporary spouse visa as having "a permanent residency status"; or do i need to wait for another year until I gain the full Spouse Visa?

Many thanks,
Jeanie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Jeanie,

I'm on a Class 309 Visa. From 'googling' Form R, it appears to relate to the Skilled Migrant programme, classes 475/487. My understanding is the spoue visa counts as 'permanent residency', but I've not had any feedback from AACA yet. I guess the worst case is that they'd sit on my application fr a year?

Hope you're enjoying Sydney!

Shaun

Hello Shaun,

I am also an UK registered architect (qualified in 2008) and entered the country on a Temporary Spouse visa. I have been in Sydney since April 2009 and have just started looking into getting registered here.

I am wondering whether you have had to fill out Form R, and if you did, whether you know AACA recognises having a temporary spouse visa as having "a permanent residency status"; or do i need to wait for another year until I gain the full Spouse Visa?

Many thanks,
Jeanie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Kamila...

I am in similar position. Don't know if my degree is enough to get 60 points for being an architect...

Can you let me know if you got some additional knowledge regarding australian assessment.

Regards,

Przemek

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

I would like to share my experience just recently about getting an assessment from AACA. I got my 5 year architectural bachelor degree in the Philippines and became registered there in 1995. As I am planning to migrate to Australia, I sent my formM (Provisional Assessment of Academic Qualifications in Architecture for Migration Purpose) last April together with the rest of listed requirements, all certified true copies. Just this week I received the result saying "not suitable" due to the opinion stated that my academic record does not evidence equivalence to an accredited professional course in architecture in Australia. Other than this general statement, the only specific comment was saying that my academic qualification failed to meet the minimum of 5 years full-time duration of architectural course, the core areas of study being design, technology, professional studies, history and communication. This made me shook my head for a minute and thinking where I failed on this. My credential gives it all.
Now here’s the thing, there’s an attached form called “provisional assessment appeal form” by which I could lodge an appeal stating my disagreement and the reason to justify this and send this form to AACA together with another 4 sets of all the documents I submitted initially and ofcourse with another fee of 750Aus$. I am really torn between doing this appeal or not. I could hardly imagine that AACA could fail to see the weight of my credential against what is just mentioned above. Odd as it may seem but can anyone tell me if it’s quite normal that one has to go through justifying an appeal to end and satisfy the whole process? I am also wondering if it’s because of the country where I had my education, but as far as I know, Australia has opened its gate to multi-cultured migrants, thus would not be racial bias in its evaluation process. I do not mind spending another amount of time and money to lodge my appeal but I need to gain certain level of assurance that racial bias is not really the case here. I’m seeking some information if there are East-Asian (or Filipino in particular) Architects who made it to Australia as migrants. This would give me some hint of some chance to still make it if I push through with this appeal. Any information is much appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hm, I won't be able to help you with the appeal as I was recognized without any comments. My study subject sounds the same so not sure why you weren't recognized.

Sorry I can't help mate.

·
Registered
219 Posts
any architect who has got positive skill assessment and about to apply for EOI?
hey there..got apositive skills assessment from AACA last december.

My paperwork is well underway - am only waiting for my mdes to be finalised before the Visa Grant - i applied before the new EOI kicked in place- May 2012 to be exact.

Most Indian architects clear the assesment - esp if u are following the syllabus set out by COA. Rgds,

Reactions: Jigar_Patel

·
Registered
69 Posts

My paperwork is well underway - am only waiting for my mdes to be finalised before the Visa Grant - i applied before the new EOI kicked in place- May 2012 to be exact.

Most Indian architects clear the assesment - esp if u are following the syllabus set out by COA. Rgds,
Nice to hear from you. Do we need to apply for RAE/RGE for getting job as an archiitect.
What do you plan to do? Please let me know.

·
Registered
5 Posts

hey.......
I would really appreciate if you could help me... i am Architect from mumbai and had applied for skill assessment...they have rejected mentioning "Not suitable for Architect" I have a masters degree from UK and a bachelors degree in Architecture from mumbai university... Could you please send the list of documents that you send them....or any details to aid your application...also did you go through some agent?
I would really be very gr8ful if you could help...
Thanks Alpva

·
Registered
219 Posts
hey.......
I would really appreciate if you could help me... i am Architect from mumbai and had applied for skill assessment...they have rejected mentioning "Not suitable for Architect" I have a masters degree from UK and a bachelors degree in Architecture from mumbai university... Could you please send the list of documents that you send them....or any details to aid your application...also did you go through some agent?
I would really be very gr8ful if you could help...
Thanks Alpva
Hey there- what i sent was all the 10 semester marks sheets (these outline the different subjects we learn) They were all certified.
According to the AACA it is imperative you have 5 year long undergrad programme , a thesis (which we do in the fonal year) and practical work experience(during your course) in my case that was the entire 6th semester. (6 months) - they also look for a few compulsory subjects in your syllabus - those subjects are outlined in Form M itself.

I did use an Agent - but they dont do anything extra other than forward your application.
and give you the good or bad news.

Really sorry to hear you were rejected. Maybe your Masters degree would help?
Secondly, if you were rejected they must have cited a reason....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there- what i sent was all the 10 semester marks sheets (these outline the different subjects we learn) They were all certified.
According to the AACA it is imperative you have 5 year long undergrad programme , a thesis (which we do in the fonal year) and practical work experience(during your course) in my case that was the entire 6th semester. (6 months) - they also look for a few compulsory subjects in your syllabus - those subjects are outlined in Form M itself.

I did use an Agent - but they dont do anything extra other than forward your application.
and give you the good or bad news.

Really sorry to hear you were rejected. Maybe your Masters degree would help?
Secondly, if you were rejected they must have cited a reason....
Hello,
I had submitted all my certified 10 semester mark sheets, college transcripts also.
For thesis do we need to send any extra details, as i have not added anything apart from the title and few details that was required in the form. for us the required work experience was only for 3 and half months, and i had provided all the details regarding it.
Apart from that i had send my mark sheet of my masters also.

The reason cited by AACA "NOT Suitable for the occupation Architect for the purpose of migration to Australia because in the AACA's opinion the documentation submitted does not evidence equivalence to an accredited professional course in architecture from a recognized Australian School of Architecture"

I would really appreciate if you could help me.
Do I require to send any other documents apart from my 10 sem worksheets,my transcripts.
I am thinking of applying for a review.
Had you send your detailed syllabus also? or any extra details?
Hope to hear from u soon.....Thanks a lot
Alpva

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hello,
I had submitted all my certified 10 semester mark sheets, college transcripts also.
For thesis do we need to send any extra details, as i have not added anything apart from the title and few details that was required in the form. for us the required work experience was only for 3 and half months, and i had provided all the details regarding it.
Apart from that i had send my mark sheet of my masters also.

The reason cited by AACA "NOT Suitable for the occupation Architect for the purpose of migration to Australia because in the AACA's opinion the documentation submitted does not evidence equivalence to an accredited professional course in architecture from a recognized Australian School of Architecture"

I would really appreciate if you could help me.
Do I require to send any other documents apart from my 10 sem worksheets,my transcripts.
I am thinking of applying for a review.
Had you send your detailed syllabus also? or any extra details?
Hope to hear from u soon.....Thanks a lot
Alpva

I am very sorry to hear that. what i did prior to applying, is contact all my Architect friends (also who studied with me in Uni) who were based in Australia.
I asked them about the AACA and if they got through. They replied in the affirmative.
In a way, i think if your Uni is already on their approved list 0 then it should not be a problem.

With regards to the Thesis - i gave them the name of my thesis and a one liner on what it was all about.

I think the 6 months training is a must.

Also important are subjects like History, Communications, Technology & Design

my subjects were (in no particular order) :
technical English,
History of Architecture (all sems)
Structures (all sems)
Graphics (all sems)
Design (all sems)
Priniciples of Architecture
Modern Architecture
Building Construction (all sems)
Professional Architecture
Interior Design
Climatology
Computer Programming
Computational Practice
computer applications in architecture
Applied Mathematics
Free hand drawing & rendering
Architectural Model Making
Surverying & Levelling
architectural photography
Sociology
estimation
building services
building specification
building economics
working drawings
architectural seminar
architectural acoustics
human settlements
professional practice
urban design
landscape architecture
principles of building conservation
Structures Thesis
Building Technology & Management
Architectural Theory & Research (recent trends)
Rural & Traditional Architecture
Advanced Structures

I hope this helps. Can you conatct some of your Arch friends in Oz (if any) and see how they fared?

I do hope it all works out for you....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks a lot for your advice. I do not have any friends in Australia ... :( ..... only one in New Zealand....
Anyways thanks a million...will try to get my architecture syllabus semester wise from my college and attach it with the application...maybe that will give a better description of the subjects that I had studied. And i had an impression that Mumbai university should be in their approved uni list....but guess its not... :(
Hope this time it goes well.... :)

Thanks,
Alpva

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks a lot for your advice. I do not have any friends in Australia ... :( ..... only one in New Zealand....
Anyways thanks a million...will try to get my architecture syllabus semester wise from my college and attach it with the application...maybe that will give a better description of the subjects that I had studied. And i had an impression that Mumbai university should be in their approved uni list....but guess its not... :(
Hope this time it goes well.... :)

Thanks,
Alpva
Hi alpva - can you look at the subjects i have mentioned in your marks sheets?
Hi did not send the Syllabus semester wise per se-
all these subjects are listed out in my marks sheets itself...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi alpva - can you look at the subjects i have mentioned in your marks sheets?
Hi did not send the Syllabus semester wise per se-
all these subjects are listed out in my marks sheets itself...
also, are you the main applicant? if its not going great guns for you, perhaps your spouse could apply. Once you all get in - then you should be able to find a job in architectural offices there ( i am hoping)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think the 6 months training is a must.

Also important are subjects like History, Communications, Technology & Design

my subjects were (in no particular order) :
technical English,
History of Architecture (all sems)
Structures (all sems)
Graphics (all sems)
Design (all sems)
Priniciples of Architecture
Modern Architecture
Building Construction (all sems)
Professional Architecture
Interior Design
Climatology
Computer Programming
Computational Practice
computer applications in architecture
Applied Mathematics
Free hand drawing & rendering
Architectural Model Making
Surverying & Levelling
architectural photography
Sociology
estimation
building services
building specification
building economics
working drawings
architectural seminar
architectural acoustics
human settlements
professional practice
urban design
landscape architecture
principles of building conservation
Structures Thesis
Building Technology & Management
Architectural Theory & Research (recent trends)
Rural & Traditional Architecture
Advanced Structures

I hope this helps. Can you conatct some of your Arch friends in Oz (if any) and see how they fared?

I do hope it all works out for you....
Hi! i am also an architect from mumbai; just passed 2 years back; i am planning to apply for skills assessment but have a doubt. We did not have any subject related to communication/ technical english. Will that be a reason for rejecting my form? and yes we did not require 6 months training- just 4

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi! i am also an architect from mumbai; just passed 2 years back; i am planning to apply for skills assessment but have a doubt. We did not have any subject related to communication/ technical english. Will that be a reason for rejecting my form? and yes we did not require 6 months training- just 4
Hi there - was it one full semester for training - as in did u report back with or reports and work the next semester?
or were you back during the semester itself?
If it was 1 full semester say 6 months - if not be truthful.
Surely you would have some subject on being able to communicate in the first year - maybe it was called by some other name- please check.

you need to have all four subject s they ask in form M - check if it was called by some other name. that can be an area to reject.
They have not specified everywhere you need 6 months of training - they only want you to have trained somewhere under a registered architect. all the best

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there - was it one full semester for training - as in did u report back with or reports and work the next semester?
or were you back during the semester itself?
If it was 1 full semester say 6 months - if not be truthful.
Surely you would have some subject on being able to communicate in the first year - maybe it was called by some other name- please check.

you need to have all four subject s they ask in form M - check if it was called by some other name. that can be an area to reject.
They have not specified everywhere you need 6 months of training - they only want you to have trained somewhere under a registered architect. all the best
Thanks for your prompt reply.

As per our syllabus we had to do 16 weeks of training in the 2nd term of our final year after giving our thesis. After the training we had a day allotted for (Professional practice) viva where we had to report our work to the jurors. After that i continued working in the same office professionally and not as an intern....

As far as the subject is concerned, i checked what the subject 'communication' in some Australian universities covered.....and most of it covered sketching, technical illustration, architectural computing, architectural model-making which were covered for us in different subjects like workshop, graphics, computers etc......Could you please tell me what topics were covered in technical english for you....

1 - 20 of 550 Posts