Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I am a US citizen and planning to apply for French Skills and Talents permit. I have my own consulting company in US and I plan to move the consulting to France. I do a lot of cross-border innovation, strategy, business development consulting between French and American companies and my main point for application will be that I would like to move operations to France so I can help French companies tap into the US market and vice versa.

I have several patents, degrees, etc. and one of the degree is an MBA from the topmost business school in France (HEC-Grande Ecole). I studied in France for about 1.5 year.

I think I have strong chance to get the visa. But what I dont know is whether, after I get the skills and talents permit for starting an independent consulting business, I can switch to a salaried position, since it is likely that I will get several top offers from French companies once I move to France because of my French MBA degree.

If there is any feedback I can get on this forum with the actual answer or if you know any lawyers who can help me, I would appreciate it very much. I promise that in return I will post my experiences with the French consulate and, if I can move to France, my experiences with getting established there.

Good luck to everyone who is planning to move to France.

Best Regards

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
Generally, the consulates don't like to mention the notion of permanent residence in France, so you probably won't get much out of them on this. I do note, however, that they mention on several consulate sites that the Competences et Talents status is "renewable" which is, I think, the key to what you're asking about.

Once you have been in France for five years (I think it is now) on a renewable visa, you have the option of applying for a carte resident rather than just a renewal of your carte de séjour. There are other requirements, but with a carte resident, you are able to work anywhere in France. It's virtually a "permanent residence" card. Or, you can just apply for French nationality at that point.

The key thing right now is that you need a "project" to get that competences et talents visa and get started. I would strongly advise against "lawyering up" when applying for what should be a routine visa application. From personal experience I can assure you that it only hurts your case and wastes an enormous amount of money.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your reply. I never got an email about a reply so thought that no one had replied.

I got delayed for some personal reasons in preparing my application but am planning to apply in a few weeks. I will share my experience here.

Regards,

Generally, the consulates don't like to mention the notion of permanent residence in France, so you probably won't get much out of them on this. I do note, however, that they mention on several consulate sites that the Competences et Talents status is "renewable" which is, I think, the key to what you're asking about.

Once you have been in France for five years (I think it is now) on a renewable visa, you have the option of applying for a carte resident rather than just a renewal of your carte de séjour. There are other requirements, but with a carte resident, you are able to work anywhere in France. It's virtually a "permanent residence" card. Or, you can just apply for French nationality at that point.

The key thing right now is that you need a "project" to get that competences et talents visa and get started. I would strongly advise against "lawyering up" when applying for what should be a routine visa application. From personal experience I can assure you that it only hurts your case and wastes an enormous amount of money.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.