Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I've been reading this forum for a long time, but now have decided to join and post.

I'm 25, Canadian, university educated, and want to move to Australia permanently to live and work. I've done the 1 yr WHV thing a few years ago, and I have the itch to make it my permanent home.

I did a points test online at some site, and I was over the 120 that is required to be a skilled migrant. If you are over the 120, does this guarantee that you will be admitted (obviously with medical and criminal checks, etc).

I think this is the best route for me to make my dream come true so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey all. I've been reading this forum for a long time, but now have decided to join and post.

I'm 25, Canadian, university educated, and want to move to Australia permanently to live and work. I've done the 1 yr WHV thing a few years ago, and I have the itch to make it my permanent home.

I did a points test online at some site, and I was over the 120 that is required to be a skilled migrant. If you are over the 120, does this guarantee that you will be admitted (obviously with medical and criminal checks, etc).

I think this is the best route for me to make my dream come true so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I would say no guarantees, but the odds are very good. I am currently awaiting a review of my application, and whilst I am pretty sure it will be fine, I have back up plans in place.

Maybe someone else out there has some statistics on this.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Surfbum84,

You also need to pass a skills assessment (depending on your visa type).

There is a link to the DIAC visa wizard in the 'PLEASE READ....' sticky post towards the top of the forum. If you haven't already done so try that since it'll give you an idea of the more common visas that may be suitable.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
DIAC also has a priority system for processing applications. If you are sponsored by State or Employer that has the fastest processing, after that if you are on CSL and MODL (in demand skills lists) then you get the next processing level. Finally all other applications are put into the final processing level.

The rough timeframes for processing:
1. Sponsored - 4 weeks to 4 months
2. MODL+CSL - 6 months to 9 months
3. Everything else: 12 months+ (some even at 18 months).

So it will matter what skill you have assessed for and whether you are on any of the priority lists.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all so much for your help. I will definitely do that.

It seems as though Sponsorship isn't happening as much these days so that isn't in the equation, but I think I can get skilled migrant although I'll have to wait.

Again you are all of great help to me and I truly appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts