Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am hoping to move over the NZ from Portugal in September or October 2012. I visited NZ in January for interviews and received two job offers which is great news. I have 160 points and everything seemed great. I accepted one of the positions and kindly rejected the other. I have started to compete the EOI online and stumbled across the fact that my salary must be sustainable to the employer. This is a bit of a worry since I understand from the employer that the accounts wil not support my salary and he plans to pay me using his own personal funds, as a director loan. He is close to retiring and can see that with my input the business will grow and so he is prepared to use his own personal finance. Is this an issue for the purposes of the visa? Any help or experience please?

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Hi guys, I am hoping to move over the NZ from Portugal in September or October 2012. I visited NZ in January for interviews and received two job offers which is great news. I have 160 points and everything seemed great. I accepted one of the positions and kindly rejected the other. I have started to compete the EOI online and stumbled across the fact that my salary must be sustainable to the employer. This is a bit of a worry since I understand from the employer that the accounts wil not support my salary and he plans to pay me using his own personal funds, as a director loan. He is close to retiring and can see that with my input the business will grow and so he is prepared to use his own personal finance. Is this an issue for the purposes of the visa? Any help or experience please?
Hi there
Let's put it this way - let's hope the immigration dept doesn't ask to see his accounts!

Up to recently I wouldn't have considered it a problem when completing the EOI, but a friend's daughter has just had a problem with a job offer that Immigration didn't considered was a high enough salary for the position being offered. They weren't given a visa until the employer sent a letter through saying that it was just a starting salary and there was a guaranteed raise after a set period. So immigration obviously do take future ability to pay and to live on the salary offered into account (if they know about it).

Where did you find the information about 'must be sustainable to the employer'?
I think if I were you I'd be checking how long he can pay you for before he starts running out of funds anyway...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Morning, whilst in Auckland I met with a couple of third party Immigration Advisors and they both talked about sustainability. I have also seen it on the Dept website.
I have asked the direct question of the employer regarding the business being able to pay the wage through profits and it was resounding no at this time.
Can I really ask him about his personal finances? Can I assume from your response that it is not a guarantee that the Dept will require sight of the Account and even if they do, it may be acceptable for the owner to finance the wages personally? Presumably, the only way to find out for definite is to proceed with the application. Would you agree?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts