Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

My husband and I are wanting to make the move down under.

I am a medical secretary working in the NHS and my husband is a tyre fitter working on performance vehicles. He did do his mechanic qualification about 10 years ago but has mainly worked in the tyre fitting trade.

I have been looking through the skilled workers list to see if we come under any of the criteria so we can get a visa but I am struggling!

I am unsure if either of us would come under any of these skills to get in? has anyone had similar jobs and got any advice.

I have spoke to an emigration agent who has suggested to get my husband working as an actual mechanic and he would have to do this job for 12 months before applying for a visa or look for a job in oz and get a sponsor? is this ever do-able and how on earth would u get everything sold and sorted in enough time to start a job over there? we also have a 1 year old little girl to consider

any help with this would be very much appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Further to my above message - my husband has spoke to his boss today as they are part of a bigger company and they are looking into a transfer option to another garage in this country. It would hopefully give him a job title of mechanical fitter as he would have be doing more than just fitting tyres.

I contacted the emigration group who gave me the earlier info and spoke to someone who was less helpful. She advised me to complete an assessment form with all the details and their charge for assessment and consultation is £120?

might sound silly but our we not about to contact someone at Oz visa office for eg and
find this sort of info out :confused:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Possible trade skills test

Hi

I have just applied for skills assessment through Engineers Australia because of my qualifications and career experience.

I'm sure that there are routes through which your husband can have his skills assessed by means of trade tests, etc. The department of immigration website should be able to help out on this one as this is how I found out about Engineers Australia.

Good luck.

Further to my above message - my husband has spoke to his boss today as they are part of a bigger company and they are looking into a transfer option to another garage in this country. It would hopefully give him a job title of mechanical fitter as he would have be doing more than just fitting tyres.

I contacted the emigration group who gave me the earlier info and spoke to someone who was less helpful. She advised me to complete an assessment form with all the details and their charge for assessment and consultation is £120?

might sound silly but our we not about to contact someone at Oz visa office for eg and
find this sort of info out :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

I have just applied for skills assessment through Engineers Australia because of my qualifications and career experience.

I'm sure that there are routes through which your husband can have his skills assessed by means of trade tests, etc. The department of immigration website should be able to help out on this one as this is how I found out about Engineers Australia.

Good luck.

thanks for this - if you don't mind me asking what was there charge?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cost for skills assessment

Hi Savvides

SKills assessment through engineers australia cost me AUD$250 and all I had to do was complete an application form and send it along with certified copies of my degree, academic transcript, photo page of passport and CV.

I've been doing a wee bit of digging on the department of immigration website and if your husband were to consider Mechanical Fitter, which I think you said he is, then have a look at this link Fitter 4112-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information which defines what they class as a fitter, they tell you if it's on the SOL or MODL (good news it's actually on the critical list so top points and jumpt to top of visa queue) and more importantly who the trade assessing body is.

Your husband will likely have to sit a trade test (think I mentioned this before) with the assessment body to ensure that his skills are what he says they are. I'm certain with the experience he had you will both be ok, but I would certainly recommend transferring into a mechanical fitters role asap so that he gets back up to speed.

Hope this has been of some help to you.

thanks for this - if you don't mind me asking what was there charge?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts