Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm about to move out to dubs and I'm a huge ski fan but wondered what countries were the best to fly to from Dubai without spending a fortune. Austria/Italy ?

John

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
You'll always spend a small fortune on skiing holidays. I go to St Anton, Austria - but always the week pre-peak season, you get better deals. Sadly you can't fly to Innsbruck from here, so must go to either Vienna and Zurich, then head over.

Take a look at something like Snowfinders for package deals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll always spend a small fortune on skiing holidays. I go to St Anton, Austria - but always the week pre-peak season, you get better deals. Sadly you can't fly to Innsbruck from here, so must go to either Vienna and Zurich, then head over.

Take a look at something like Snowfinders for package deals.
cool, thanks for that, with the weekends falling differently do you typically go Saturday to Saturday? Do you also tend to get a second flight?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Hiya, No I try to fly on a week day - avoid Fri/Sat/Sun as all the weekend days are more expensive flight wise. I fly to Zurich, then get the train or a transport directly to St Anton. We stayed at the Hotel Arlberg, they have weekly deals that include half-board, plus ski pass for 6 days.

Basically my winter trip for a week in December breaks down like this:

Flight - Swiss Air - DXB-Zurich-DXB - just over 4,000 Dhs
Train from Zurich Airport to St Anton - 122 Euro
7 nights in the Hotel Arlberg - half board, plus 6 day ski pass - 797 Euro
Ski/Snowboard hire for 6 days - 180 Euro

So basically you're looking at aroun 10,000 Dhs give or take for one person for a week somewhere like that.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Basically my winter trip for a week in December breaks down like this:

Flight - Swiss Air - DXB-Zurich-DXB - just over 4,000 Dhs
Train from Zurich Airport to St Anton - 122 Euro
7 nights in the Hotel Arlberg - half board, plus 6 day ski pass - 797 Euro
Ski/Snowboard hire for 6 days - 180 Euro
Alternatively, we do this for Christmas this year (21-28 Dec)...

Fly to Geneva
Taxi to Trois Vallees (stay above 1800m, guaranty snow, too much last year)
7-night half-board

Similar rates, cheaper if not during X-mas / New-Year weeks.
No jet lag as if going to North America / Japan

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
That looks good ccr. We're going 13-20th - last year it was all powder/fresh snow and the resort wasn't yet busy, so it was lovely. I'm only a beginner skier so it suited me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any recommendations for the 3 Vallies? I did look at sunday-suday or sat-sat flights to Geneva but they all seemed to take forever with a change for about 800 pounds, I'm considering flying back to England and then Easyjetting to Geneva for 100 quid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts