Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're stuck in the situation of probably leaving next summer but our lease up in October. Does anyone know what the market is like with six to nine month leases?
Our current landlord won't budge.
TIA

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
We're stuck in the situation of probably leaving next summer but our lease up in October. Does anyone know what the market is like with six to nine month leases?
Our current landlord won't budge.
TIA
I cant comment in general but my colleague has just leased a property for 6 months while they wait for their new build to be finished. Having had no luck with rental landlords she engaged with an agent who approached owners who were selling and having difficulty shifting properties to see if they were interested in a tenant while the property was on the market. She found somewhere within a couple of days (4 Bed Villa). I guess waving 6 months rental under an owners nose was attractive.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Yup serviced apartments would be a better option. OR remind your landlord that rents are still dropping, so he can either give you a short term lease or run the risk of having to accept a lower rent from someone else.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Since my place is in a popular area (SZR) I'm not sure the LL will budge.
Serviced apts may be a good option. Ah, Dubai, the land of uncertainty! :)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Go for the nine month option on another apartment IMO, and tell the new landlord you'll extend to 12 if the job stays. Doing it now while so many are clearing out of the country due to the slowdown and its summer might get you a better deal - like 12 months for the price of nine ?

Also I'd suggest trying somewhere slightly different as it might be short term - go somewhere you might not have traditionally considered and if it doesnt work out then its not long. If it does work out then there's the experience of it all :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts