Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the thread about "residencia" and healthcare got me wondering about the scope of the SIP cards elsewhere in Spain than Comunidad de Valencia.

Are they universally accepted all over Spain now, for treatment whilst on holiday in other areas of Spain, or do we still need to use our new EHIC cards issued in UK.

I was also reading a thread from another national forum, some of us are members of both, from 2011 whereby you need to visit the reception in the centro de salud and declare yourself as desplazados, in order to receive treatment.

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
Reading the thread about "residencia" and healthcare got me wondering about the scope of the SIP cards elsewhere in Spain than Comunidad de Valencia.

Are they universally accepted all over Spain now, for treatment whilst on holiday in other areas of Spain, or do we still need to use our new EHIC cards issued in UK.

I was also reading a thread from another national forum, some of us are members of both, from 2011 whereby you need to visit the reception in the centro de salud and declare yourself as desplazados, in order to receive treatment.
The cards are 'supposed' to be national now, but not all the comunidades are linked up.

In our centro de salud there's still a 'desplazados' sign, so apparently you still have to do that in some places.

edit - lol .... I wrote that post in t'other place in 2011!

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
In Madrid we don't have SIP cards we have this

Without knowing anything about it, the most logical would be that you can use your card in another comunidad if you are there temporarily, but would need to replace it if you go to live in another place.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Without knowing anything about it, the most logical would be that you can use your card in another comunidad if you are there temporarily, but would need to replace it if you go to live in another place.
Yes, we think so too, but, as this is Spain, not everywhere is as joined up. We will find out when we need to visit the doctor whilst on holiday, fingers crossed that we don´t. :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
I've just remembered that my Basque MIL has visited the doctor several times here, emergency and not and has never had a problem.
Sorry, not clear... for emergency visits and not emergency, just to renew prescriptions

·
Registered
U.K.
9,113 Posts
All we have are scrappy pieces of paper. Takes two years here Spanish or not to get a proper health card!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Had not been here but a year and had to visit Urgencias in Barcelona and they accepted my Andalucía SIP with no problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts