Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

I'm new to this site, but am pretty sure I will be moving to Quesada in the Summer. I am a single mum of 2 (9&10) Would be nice to see if anyone else has kids of a similar age in the area etc

I am hoping to get them into Rojales school for September start. All tips advice would be greatly received.

Oh and I have a small dog and 2 cats, can anyone recommend the best method of transportation please? x

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi folks

I'm new to this site, but am pretty sure I will be moving to Quesada in the Summer. I am a single mum of 2 (9&10) Would be nice to see if anyone else has kids of a similar age in the area etc

I am hoping to get them into Rojales school for September start. All tips advice would be greatly received.

Oh and I have a small dog and 2 cats, can anyone recommend the best method of transportation please? x

As long as they have their passports, probably the cheapest way is to drive them. Altho flying is the quickest and most expensive. There are many companies around who will do either

Jo xxx

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as they have their passports, probably the cheapest way is to drive them. Altho flying is the quickest and most expensive. There are many companies around who will do either

Jo xxx
Thanks Jo, I have been looking into the flight thing but really not happy about them being crated for 10 hours without exercise or water :confused: I was hoping someone would allow them in the cabin lol

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Thanks Jo, I have been looking into the flight thing but really not happy about them being crated for 10 hours without exercise or water :confused: I was hoping someone would allow them in the cabin lol
10 hours??? Mine had to be there two hours before the flight and then the flight which was two and half hours.

I'm pretty sure that theres no airline that flies from UK to Spain that will allow them in the cabin

Jo xxx

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10 hours??? Mine had to be there two hours before the flight and then the flight which was two and half hours.

I'm pretty sure that theres no airline that flies from UK to Spain that will allow them in the cabin

Jo xxx
The few pet travel people I've spoken to said that pets need to be checked in 4 hours before and then handling at the other end could take 3 hours, KLM does cabin but crate can ony be 20cm high, which even my chihuahua exceeds

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
The few pet travel people I've spoken to said that pets need to be checked in 4 hours before and then handling at the other end could take 3 hours, KLM does cabin but crate can ony be 20cm high, which even my chihuahua exceeds
Well thats the best you'll get I guess. I cant imagine that barking dogs would be a very popular addition to an aircraft full of people. We took ours over with BA, altho I dont think they do pets now. They were fine. How about you drive them over with a pet transport company? Or take a car over???

Jo xxx

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I may have to, although I don't relish it with 3 animals and 2 kids for 48 hours or however long it takes lol

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah think that's the route I'll probably have to go down. Just don't relish days of driving on my own with 2 kids & 3 pets lol

Thanks for your help x

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
KLM flew my dog from Hk last year, he was crated approx 5am Wednesday European time,5hrs before flight, flown to Amsterdam 13hr, then rested at their pet hotel, honest they do have one at Sciphol, then early Friday crated again, flown from Schipol to Madrid, most of the day crated at Madrid airport, he should have arrived Alicante and been delivered to our house by 6pm Friday, he didn't arrive till 8.30 pm. It was the only way we could transport our beautiful dog, as there is a 'summer embargo" for flying pets (I don't know whether this will apply to a short hop from UK), when it is very hot in the luggage hold where pets are carried, just google summer embargo flying pets-- it will give the dates involved.
I agree, only a tea cup sized dog will fit under a passenger seat, in a crate.
I think Monarch fly pets, but they will be in the hold, and should be fine on a relatively short flight, there is also certain pet transport people who will drive them here from UK, you need to google that.
Are your pets microchipped and vaccinated ready for travel?, If you look at the defra website it will tell you what to do and which forms you need.
One problem, hardly any jobs in Spain really high unemployment, no benefits, no access to healthcare as a full time resident, unless you have private insurance or a pensioner. Only as a temporary visitor will the EHIC cover you for emergency treatment only. If you are a very rich young person that is fine, no problems.

·
Registered
22,362 Posts
Have you considered driving with your pets?

We thought about flying our Rhodesian Ridgeback from Prague when we moved to Spain but the thought of perhaps tranquilising and crating such a large and much-loved dog was too awful to contemplate.

We bought a LandRover Discovery which we would have got anyway and drove down with Our Little Azor installed comfortably in the back, safely harnessed and with his bed and toys to keep him comfortable. The journey took two nights and three days and was interesting, enjoyable and not that expensive, all things considered. It was a kind of mini-holiday.

Of course this may not be practical with small children, but is it worth considering?

And yes, there's little hope of coming here and finding work unless you've got something already lined up.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Hi folks

Travelling on your own with two kids, a dog and two cats will be an experience, whichever way you choose!
And what you choose will depend as much on your children as it does on your pets.
Some 9 and 10 year-olds are helpful and cooperative, others are totally uncooperative and can be a pain in the butt.
If you are lucky enough to have the helpful and cooperative kind, travelling with them and your pets on a long journey by road sounds like the best option. But if they are not particularly cooperative, you may wish to get them here as soon as possible.
If the latter case, then Monarch for all of you, or flights for you and the kids and pet transport for your animals seem like your best bets.

Do you have anyone to assist you when you arrive in Spain?
Because that would be a bonus too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Solwriter said:
Travelling on your own with two kids, a dog and two cats will be an experience, whichever way you choose!
And what you choose will depend as much on your children as it does on your pets.
Some 9 and 10 year-olds are helpful and cooperative, others are totally uncooperative and can be a pain in the butt.
If you are lucky enough to have the helpful and cooperative kind, travelling with them and your pets on a long journey by road sounds like the best option. But if they are not particularly cooperative, you may wish to get them here as soon as possible.
If the latter case, then Monarch for all of you, or flights for you and the kids and pet transport for your animals seem like your best bets.

Do you have anyone to assist you when you arrive in Spain?
Because that would be a bonus too.
I think it will most definitely be the ferry and car. Thanks for all the advice.

My parents have a holiday home in the area but I won't know anyone other than them. It'll be fine I'm quite independent :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I think it will most definitely be the ferry and car. Thanks for all the advice.

My parents have a holiday home in the area but I won't know anyone other than them. It'll be fine I'm quite independent :)
So that's the animals sorted! What about yourself and your children?

Will you need to work in Spain? Unemployment is very, very high, much worse than in the UK.

Have you thought about the kids' schooling?They might struggle in a Spanish school - or you can send them to International school, but it's expensive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I already have a job so that won't be a problem.

I have an appointment with the school in a few weeks and I think they will take to school given the right attitude and coaching.

·
Registered
22,362 Posts

I have an appointment with the school in a few weeks and I think they will take to school given the right attitude and coaching.
You have obviously planned well and I'm sure all will go well.

If you decide to drive, don't rush. Make it a mini-holiday for yourself and your children. Find somewhere nice to stay overnight where you can relax and eat and sleep well. Take photos of your trip.

You've probably thought of all that already!!:)

When we left Prague it was minus several degrees and snowing. It was like that all through Germany, warmed up when we got to Southern France, then into Spain...then we hit ice and snow in the Sierra Nevada...then it warmed up again and we went straight to the beach with our dog when we got here...it was December 2nd, still light at half-past six in the evening..and warm .Gorgeous.:)

Good luck with your journey.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

Good luck then with your journey and your new life in Spain. :thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update

Hi ,
I was just wondering if you did get moved to quesada ? And how you and the children have settled in ?
I am thinking of moving out there next year , I'm single with 2 children 13 & 14
Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated ..

Also how is the work situation, ??

Thank you

Kerry x

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi ,
I was just wondering if you did get moved to quesada ? And how you and the children have settled in ?
I am thinking of moving out there next year , I'm single with 2 children 13 & 14
Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated ..

Also how is the work situation, ??

Thank you

Kerry x

Hhhmmm, the children would really need to go to an international school at their ages, its not fair or good for them to have to change language or curriculum at this late stage - unless they're totally bilingual - even then, its not going to be ideal. I assume the elder one is starting the two year GCSE courses?? Which state schools in Spain dont follow

Work is going to be hard too as theres massive unemployment in Spain and to become a resident in Spain, after 90 days, you need to prove an income and healthcare provision.

So its not looking too good right now??

However, if you do have an existing/independent income that can cover your living costs and school fees, then yes, its a good place to be

Jo xxx

1 - 20 of 22 Posts