Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am looking at moving to Singapore or Australia(Melbourne) with my wife. I am a business analyst with a telecom firm.

I am finding it really hard to decide on which place fits me best.

Interests - Occasional pubbing, shopping, travelling, lazing around, fitness

I have been to Singapore a couple of times and loved the place.

Factors in favour of Singapore:

- The mass transport system is excellent
- Shopping is fantastic
- Night life is brilliant.
- Very safe even in the wee hours of the night.
- Close proximity to India (3.5 hours away)

Factors against Singapore:

- Not too fond of hot and humid weather though.
- Work culture . Heard the bosses expect you to work late hours
- Stopped accpeting PRs. Not sure how easy it is finding a job
- Owning a car is close to impossible

Never been to Melbourne but it has consistently topped the list of the world's most liveable cities. Heard the weather is similar to what we have in Bangalore.

Factors in favour of Melbourne:

- Better work culture
- Ranked as the worlds most liveable city
- Weather : Pleasant throughtout the year (by Indian standards 25-28 C)
- Better IT opportunities
- Good music scene

Factors against Melbourne

- Farther from India than Singapore
- All shops shut at 5?
- Cost of living much higher than Singapore which translates to lesser disposable income
- Not as safe as Singapore

If anybody has gone through this dilemma can you please help me with this one?

Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi

I am looking at moving to Singapore or Australia(Melbourne) with my wife. I am a business analyst with a telecom firm.

- Shopping is fantastic

Never been to Melbourne but it has consistently topped the list of the world's most liveable cities. Heard the weather is similar to what we have in Bangalore.

- Better work culture
- Good music scene

- All shops shut at 5?
- Cost of living much higher than Singapore which translates to lesser disposable income

Thanks

Why you confused & tension, look nowadays you don't have choice like before. Now you have very little choice, australia will close their immigration on July2012 so you don't have much time hurry up instead of confusion and deciding. Before long time you can think where shall i go USA, Canada, australia singapore europe but now all doors closed everywhere countries don't want immigrants anymore.

Singapore also shut down permanent residence without job, so stop confusion and dreaming apply for australia ur last chance now u will lose this then for v long time.

Reactions: anj1976

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Shikharjain,

First of all, what is your intention in moving to Singapore or Australia? Is it more for working and just staying for so many years? Or is the plan of you and your wife to move to one of these countries permanently?

I have a relative who currently works and resides in Singapore. It is true that getting a permanent residency can be difficult even if you have a job already there for so many years. Housing can be expensive too. Most of expats currently working and living there are only there for a certain number of years sent by their company from abroad. Then there are workers from abroad that maybe there for a certain number of years depending on their contract.

While for Australia, major changes are happening to the skilled migration program in July 2012. Check out immi.gov.au about the different visas. The new skilled migration program will be called SkillSet. You have to apply for an Expressions of Interest filling out specific information. Only when you are invited can you apply for the visa. Right now, you can still apply for the specific skilled visa if you meet the requirements and points score. However, there are certain steps that need to be fulfilled like getting your skills assessed before to determine if your skills are recognized in Australia. Then you can apply for the visa. Or you can be employee sponsored by a company which would probably be the fastest but also not the easiest unless you have the skills and work experience a company is looking for.

In Australia, depending on the person's current visa, this person can apply for a permanent residency if they meet the residency requirements. More information found in immi.gov.au

I believe both countries have high cost of living. So that leaves you with which country has better job opportunities and an opportunity for PR. But don't think it's going to be so easy since there is now a lot of competition too. You are not going to get the perfect scenario. However, it also depends which country is the one that you and your wife will be granted a visa and how long it will take.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
when you say lower cost of living, are you considering only food and shopping or everything? cos housing, transportation etc all add to cost of living, plus in 5 years wehre do you stand.. see all these factors, it is not just nightlife or shopping that one can live on. you got to be a bit practical and think where will you be in 5 years and what would you want to do if you do not even have citizenship after slogging for 5 years, Australia gives you all that, you earn more here, you lead a better life, there is work life balance, there is lots to do being a vast country. I dont really think now anyone has the luxury to sit and decide, one has to work fast and do it now before it is too late

cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi

- Shopping is fantastic

- Better work culture
- Good music scene

- All shops shut at 5?

Thanks
Singapore is a fantastic place, no mistaking that. I've worked there for many years and I can attest to this. However, I would not like to live there permanently for a variety of reasons.

1.) As you've said, owning a car and worse, maintaining one, is very very expensive. I love going for long drives on weekends, camping and stuff. Not much scope for such outdoor activity there.

2.) Housing is very expensive also. Whether you are renting or buying a place, be prepared to shell out substantial dough.

3.) Living costs are not cheap either. Even if you are earning a good amount, living costs are not that cheap.

Lastly, I feel that tourists who visit a place and have not lived there for a while, may have the tendency to take a somewhat skewed view of the place. Its only after you've lived there for a while that you appreciate what it worth. Frankly, I still think of Singapore as a big, crowded mall : a fantastic mall but a mall nonetheless. I wouldn't want my kids to grow up in a mall like matchbox environment.

Anyways, to each his own. I wish you all the best, wherever you might go.

Cheers

·
Banned
41 Posts
Although both countries are liveable in terms of quality of life but I would suggest you to relocate to Singapore rather than Australia. This is because the economy of Singapore is on a growth stage which will ensure a longer stay for you there. The economy of countries like Australia are almost saturated and there are very less job opportunities which leads to job insecurity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.