Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am finding myself in yet another quandry with immigration.

For those who likely don't remember my previous posts, I ended up in a very irregular situation as I was here on a tourist visa to organize housing/bank/etc. in advance of my husband receiving the passeport talent and then I got marooned with the pandemic. He got a visa (although for six months for some reason - someone on this forum mentioned that was normal enough, but the people at immigration were quite confused about it) and I was here on a tourist extension through the end of July.

In early July, we were able to get an appointment (Cité) and sat for an hour while they tried to suss out my situation (it was actually a bit funny to watch). I am not truly sure what they did, but they processed it and both my husband and I received a récépissé for the renewal. They requested that we send French translations for some of the documents, but nothing else appeared out of order. We sent the translations within four days (we were given 8) and then dead silence.

We have been periodically sending requests for updates since late July, but heard nothing. Finally, a week ago, we get a response to one of the emails from early August saying they were still waiting on documentation?

We immediately sent back a request for clarification on what documentation they're still waiting for. Then when we didn't hear back, we forwarded along the documentation they had requested in the appointment asking if there was anything else they're waiting for. Dead silence. We then emailed asking if there's a way we can start the process to renew the récépissé if they need more time. Dead silence.

At this point we're just emailing every day varying our questions. We've tried calling, but the line just rings through and hangs up. We know we can't just walk in (which would be my normal go to) since people are being turned away if they don't already have a convocation.

Our récépissés expire at the start of October. I am just not sure what else I can do. In the facebook groups dedicated to immigration issues, I am watching other people's requests lapse and their récépissés expire with silence from the préfecture.

Is there any other avenue I can try?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I have know of cases where the person submitting a request misunderstood what was wanted. In one particular case, relating to CPAM, they wanted a Relevé d'Identité Bancaire (RIB) and he thought they wanted an ID card. In another, both husband and wife submitted the same documents. But, because the family names were different, the documents for the husband (receipts, etc.) were not assosciated with the wife.

So, I'd suggest going over what you submitted in Ju;y and look for any possible case of misunderstanding. If you find soimething, regardless of how unlikely, try sending a polite letter or email, in French of course, explaining the possible misunderstanding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I hear that. Not sure how to do that though. The instructions were provided verbally two months ago. I definitely thought I was being thorough at the time, but all I have is my memory and my notes right now.

And absolutely, every email is quite polite and in French. I am just trying to get information on whether they need anything additional or if anything has been missed. As far as I can tell with everything I have at hand, they should have everything.

I have know of cases where the person submitting a request misunderstood what was wanted. In one particular case, relating to CPAM, they wanted a Relevé d'Identité Bancaire (RIB) and he thought they wanted an ID card. In another, both husband and wife submitted the same documents. But, because the family names were different, the documents for the husband (receipts, etc.) were not assosciated with the wife.

So, I'd suggest going over what you submitted in Ju;y and look for any possible case of misunderstanding. If you find soimething, regardless of how unlikely, try sending a polite letter or email, in French of course, explaining the possible misunderstanding.

·
Administrator
48,762 Posts
Other than checking the website for the prefecture on a regular basis, I suspect you may just have to sit and wait it out. There are lots of folks in "unusual" visa situations at the moment and I'm sure the office is swamped with urgent requests.

Keep your réceppisées handy and if you find any information about renewal of documents on the prefecture website, print off a copy and keep it with your réceppissées. This is one of those cases where it will take as long as it takes. Keep a record of your attempts to respond, but don't overdo it (i.e. to the point of becoming a pest). These are trying times, even for fonctionnaires.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I doubt very much this will move quickly, especially in Paris where they are experiencing significant backlogs and have multiple and increasing other priorities to deal with.

Keep evidence of all your contacts, everything you send in, etc. Eventually they will get it sorted , match up everything you have sent, and give you a decision. With a bit of luck they may perhaps issue you with a new récépissés in the meantime. But don't sweat over whether you can reamin in France, until they make a decision and inform you of that, you can remain and continue anyactivities related to your passeport talent activities (though the situation may make that more difficult in practice).

·
Registered
350 Posts
usually you would not be given a récépissé if something was missing (at leas this is how it works in the prefecture where I live) ... one time we were told to come when it is about to end to collect the titre de sejour (this was pre-pandemic) ... with a friend (pre-pandemic also) he was asked to wait for a text when the titre is ready...

One other question, how did you send the document, recommandée or not? if you have the 'avis de reception' or at least the receipt of the post office that shows you sent a document to the prefecture that date, this would be needed ...

I would prepare a complete dossier with communications and all documents (including these that were needed later) and try to walk in to the prefecture with the almost expired récépissé .. it might work?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,
I agree with mohsel advice above.
You should go in person to the Prefecture before your recépissé expires with all your documentation (even the one you think they haven't requested just in case) and a copy of all your emails.
If they request more documentation, try to reword it and ask for confirmation to make sure you got the information right. This may help to avoid any possible misunderstanding.

Hopefully you could get another recépissé the time your file is processed. It might take a while due to the backlog...
Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts