Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me hubby and 2 children moved to perth wa end of 2004 we stayed a year as i just couldnt settle from the minute we left uk i felt i had made a terrible mistake which really annoyed me as waited ages for our visas etc.i just never felt right there but i did really try i felt so lonley it was unreal some days i never spoke to any one outside family except for 10 minutes at school gates it just seemed people were all just too busy with there own lives.Hubby loved it from day one and kids seems to accept it they had school and made friends easily.we have been home in uk for 4 years now and the day i landed i felt good again but in the last year i have been having thoughts about not giving it enough time to find friends and a job after all the money we spent an time getting the visa in the first place and i keep thinking of returning but not to perth but melbourne i donnt no why but i really like the sound of the city.hubby would go back tomorrow but we would have to wait until end of june next year as eldest child is taking gcse s so couldnt take him out before then.I think what i am rambling on about is has any one been to aus then returned to u.k then gone back again and made it work 2nd time around or should i just forgot it and accept iam to much of a homebody.i am really confused any got any similar experiance!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

Yes, lots of people go back and forth until they decide where to settle and you are not alone.

They are lovingly called the Ping Pong Poms.

It's normal.

I have been in the UK for 8 years now and my experience is the same you felt in Aussie. People are kind and friendly, but they have their own lives and friends and do not have any space to make new friends.

It really did require a LOT of efford of inviting people over and finding the right ones.
Funny enough ALL my friends are either people born overseas or people who relocated from other areas of the country.

I expect to go through the same in Oz, I now someone recently arrived will probably be more willing to extent their group of friends...And it takes time and efford.

Hubby has been to Melbourne recently and absolutely LOVED it.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Busyte

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
As Busyte said we really made a lot of effort to fit in and make new friends in Oz. It's taken us maybe 2 years to say we really have friends here rather than acquaintances and we didn't know anyone in the area we moved to.

Only you know how much you miss your family and the UK. We didn't miss the UK at all although I miss family and close friends, but I talk and see my parents on a regular basis through Skype.

If you decide to leave the UK and come back to Australia how long will you give it this time before you know if it'll work? That's a genuine question and not a criticism by the way.

What would you do differently to settle in (if anything)?

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

I've come to realise that one of the main reasons a person can't settle is the location they have chosen. If they can't get used to the weather or the fauna or the remoteness etc etc etc then having to live with that on a daily basis is gruelling.

Perth and Melbourne are complete opposites. In my humble opinion the suburbs of Perth were soul-less with no character and I know the isolation would get to me eventually (we did consider Perth for ages before deciding on Melbourne mainly due to those reasons).

I don't know which visa you came over on in 2004 but if you had PR it probably would expire this year?

TBH I'd take another shot at it....you could try Melbourne. It's a great place to live in comparison to Perth (sorry those of you who are in Perth). I have said before that you either love Perth or hate Perth. My friend who moved back to the UK last week said her friends are leaving in droves. But to balance it out, some people absolutely love it. As with most things, you have to have first hand experience of things to be able to make up your own mind.

You don't mention how old your children are, but if they are pre-school then that's a great way to get to know other mums...even when they first start school waiting at the school gates for your children to come out of school is a way of chatting to other mums. It is difficult as you have to be the instigator most of the time.

I say, give Melbourne a go!

Dolly

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
i think you should give it a shot again. Perth, as they all say, gets lonely as it is away from the rest of the Au. if you dont like it, you can always come back but this time have no expectations. the moment you set expectations you are not able to settle in. No one will come to you, you will have to venture out. keep in touch with family and friends, keep telling yourself you are liking it.

you sure start a new life, its like starting form zero again.

Give it a try.

wish you luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for getting back to me we only moved to perth as fil lives there and he gave hubby a job and i think your right with perth you either love or hate it and i never felt right about it if we didnt have kids we would have travelled around and found somewhere we could settle but felt bad as they were both in school and cant keep changing them in and out of schools so felt coming home was the best option for kids.looking back 1 year was not enough time and loads of people tried to warn us i think 3 is better but still feel perth is not for us dispite that i still think perth is wonderfully clean great beaches friendly people but alittle slow and boring for us as a family personally (not knocking perth) just not right for us.i have done some research for melbourne and think this may be better for us even the weather seems better to me.any advise on visas as they do expire soon do you have to start again or can they be extended i have no idea.we cant go until end of june 2010 as eldest child doing his exams so cant take him out of school until he finishes them as not fair on him.i really want this to work and will go with a different attidtude than last time and will do alot more research in the mean time and hopefully stay on this forum to pick peoples brains who are already there if thats ok thanks Yvie x

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
yvie, u got to see the expiry of the visa, make sure you go there before that. if it expires, u will have to apply for another visa if not there already.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi Yvie,

As your visa will expire before June 2010 you will have to start the whole process again. I'd suggest contacting an agent to ask their advice. I did think of an RRV but I think you have to have resided in Australia for 2 years - so that's out.

We do have agents who post on here, Veronika (username SOMV) posts fairly regularly so you could as her advice. You can contact her via her signature.

Good luck!
Dolly

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

I've come to realise that one of the main reasons a person can't settle is the location they have chosen. If they can't get used to the weather or the fauna or the remoteness etc etc etc then having to live with that on a daily basis is gruelling.

Perth and Melbourne are complete opposites. In my humble opinion the suburbs of Perth were soul-less with no character and I know the isolation would get to me eventually (we did consider Perth for ages before deciding on Melbourne mainly due to those reasons).

I don't know which visa you came over on in 2004 but if you had PR it probably would expire this year?

TBH I'd take another shot at it....you could try Melbourne. It's a great place to live in comparison to Perth (sorry those of you who are in Perth). I have said before that you either love Perth or hate Perth. My friend who moved back to the UK last week said her friends are leaving in droves. But to balance it out, some people absolutely love it. As with most things, you have to have first hand experience of things to be able to make up your own mind.

You don't mention how old your children are, but if they are pre-school then that's a great way to get to know other mums...even when they first start school waiting at the school gates for your children to come out of school is a way of chatting to other mums. It is difficult as you have to be the instigator most of the time.

I say, give Melbourne a go!

Dolly
Dolly......
It was a very good reply. Read again and again

Regards
Hari999999
..................................................................................................................................
TRA Positive September 2007
IELTS Pased January 2008
Applied Visa 175 April 2008 (Paper visa MODL, CSL ,)
Received File no: November 2008
Got CO and Medicals July 2009
MEDICALS and PCC finalized July 30th 2009
Waiting for Visa.???
Instead of granding Visa Job verification came. So having sleepless nights

1 - 9 of 9 Posts