Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Friends,

I AM IN DIRE NEED OF CANDID TAKE ON THE BELOW...

My assessment as Fitter (General) by TRA came out successful. For this assessment, I used both ND and HND qualifications so that my work experience would count.

Following are my qualifications:
* National Diploma (ND) in Mechanical Engineering (2007).
* Higher National Diploma (HND) in Mechanical Engineering (2011).
* B.Eng in Mechanical Engineering (2016).

I started working in 2011 after my HND programme as an Engineering Technician (equivalent to fitter) and in 2012 I was admitted into B.Eng programme (full-time). This means that I was studying while working (I was running shift and this allowed me to have time for my studies).

As it stands, with ND/HND (10pts), work experience (10pts), age (30pts, will be reduced to 25pts by October) and IELTS (0 pt - LRWS -7, 6.5, 7.5, 6.5) I have gathered 50 points. However, with ND/HND/B.Eng (15pts), work experience (10pts), age (30pts, will be reduced to 25pts by October) and IELTS (0 pt - LRWS -7, 6.5, 7.5, 6.5) I will gather 55 points which I can support with 5 points for state nomination for Sub-class 190.

Now my question, can I use my B.Eng along with my diplomas to claim 15 points and submit EOI for 190, knowing fully well that I didn't use it for assessment.

Help me out. I've been ruminating over this for days.

Thanks and best regards.

·
Registered
23,919 Posts
Dear Friends,

My assessment as Fitter (General) by TRA came out successful. For this assessment, I used both ND and HND qualifications so that my work experience would count.

I started working in 2011 after my HND programme as an Engineering Technician (equivalent to fitter) and in 2012 I was admitted into B.Eng programme (full-time). This means that I was studying while working (I was running shift and this allowed me to have time for my studies).

As it stands, with ND/HND (10pts), work experience (10pts), age (30pts, will be reduced to 25pts by October) and IELTS (0 pt - LRWS -7, 6.5, 7.5, 6.5) I have gathered 50 points. However, with ND/HND/B.Eng (15pts), work experience (10pts), age (30pts, will be reduced to 25pts by October) and IELTS (0 pt - LRWS -7, 6.5, 7.5, 6.5) I will gather 55 points which I can support with 5 points for state nomination for Sub-class 190.

Now my question, can I use my B.Eng along with my diplomas to claim 15 points and submit EOI for 190, knowing fully well that I didn't use it for assessment.

Thanks and best regards.
Don't over claim points ever

The CO will know the moment he sees your assessment letter that you have been qualified as Diploma and entitled to only 10 points whereas you have wrongly claimed 15

Not only will you lose your visa fees of 3600AUD and maybe even more if your spouse is also included but you will also be barred from applying for 3 years

I don't think any member on the forum will advise you go down this route

Cheers

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Dear Friends,

Thanks and best regards.
I concur with newbienz do not over claim points especially for what has not been assessed already as positive this might put you in awkward situation as to withdraw the application if the CO objects or to get rejected.

further if you still wish to get 5 additional points go for re-assessment but here again you might have a question as why you did not show the B.Eng earlier.. think about it but as said do not over claim points to be safe

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Dear Friends,

Thanks and best regards.
There are issues that you need to consider. DIBP usually doesn't take work exp before your education. So, the only reason you got work exp points before 2016 is because you didn't showed them your BEng during assessment.

Now, Fitter is a fine occupation in terms of getting invited both in 189 and 190 as it is in demand and hardly anyone applies. So, the chances of 190 is also high.

But 50 points doesn't give you that. Now if HND doesn't find BEng relevant to your occupation, you won't get 15 points and you need to do your assessment again but then there is a chance you will lose 10 exp points. And you can only claim what is written in your assessment letter.

So, your only option is to try getting 10 points in English before October and get a direct invite in 189.

If you miss out October, you will need 15 more points and hence it will be difficult.

I will say try PTE as loads of people have done better in that. This might help: http://www.expatforum.com/expats/12015801-post16349.html

Reactions: solution1212

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't over claim points ever

The CO will know the moment he sees your assessment letter that you have been qualified as Diploma and entitled to only 10 points whereas you have wrongly claimed 15

Not only will you lose your visa fees of 3600AUD and maybe even more if your spouse is also included but you will also be barred from applying for 3 years

I don't think any member on the forum will advise you go down this route

Cheers

Thank you for the invaluable advice.

Can I still show that I also have a higher qualification (BEng.) in EOI even though I am not claiming point for it because I bagged the degree while working?

Thank you once again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I concur with newbienz do not over claim points especially for what has not been assessed already as positive this might put you in awkward situation as to withdraw the application if the CO objects or to get rejected.

further if you still wish to get 5 additional points go for re-assessment but here again you might have a question as why you did not show the B.Eng earlier.. think about it but as said do not over claim points to be safe

Can I still show that I also have a higher qualification (BEng.) in EOI even though I am not claiming point for it because I bagged the degree while working?

Thank you once again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are issues that you need to consider. DIBP usually doesn't take work exp before your education. So, the only reason you got work exp points before 2016 is because you didn't showed them your BEng during assessment.

Now, Fitter is a fine occupation in terms of getting invited both in 189 and 190 as it is in demand and hardly anyone applies. So, the chances of 190 is also high.

But 50 points doesn't give you that. Now if HND doesn't find BEng relevant to your occupation, you won't get 15 points and you need to do your assessment again but then there is a chance you will lose 10 exp points. And you can only claim what is written in your assessment letter.

So, your only option is to try getting 10 points in English before October and get a direct invite in 189.

If you miss out October, you will need 15 more points and hence it will be difficult.

I will say try PTE as loads of people have done better in that. This might help: http://www.expatforum.com/expats/12015801-post16349.html

Thank you once again.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts

Thank you once again.
There is a slight correction to my previous post. Apparently you can get VETASSESS Points Test Advice for your degree and claim it. I am not sure if it is relevant to your case or not, since you are already assessed for 10 points HND. But better ask others.

But my advice is still do PTE and I believe you will manage 65+ . It is different and easier to score in Writing and Speaking marks than IELTS. Spend time on PTE, get 10 marks before October and get 189 and live anywhere you like and not worry about 489 or 190 restrictions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts