Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a mom currently at home on maternity leave with my almost 14 mo toddler. I have an offer pending from a company in Dubai and can't decide whether to move there with the family or not. Dad works from home so he would stay home with little one. I would be working from 8:30-5:30.

I am worried that there wouldn't be much to do in Dubai with a little child. We like to be outdoors, our daughter loves to play with the grass, sand and water, but I'm worried about the heat. Any ideas? Financially it would be a good move, but other than that - I don't know. We would only stay 1-2 years.

Please give me some ideas about what to do with a small child - she crawls well but doesn't walk yet, quite active.

Also, any ideas on what to do as a family on weekends? I know eating is a big thing there but we wouldn't want to go to brunches or eat out every weekend. We'd like to explore.
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think there is plenty to do to explore. And the outdoors is beautiful many months of the year. Even yesterday was pretty nice outside!

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Most families in dubai including western expats have children. Obviously dubai is not like "back home" but 7 months a year it is quite pleasant ( obviously plesant means different things to different people" . There is the beach, a number of good parks, and swimming pools at most apartments. But obviously it is no Europe

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I think we should define "pleasant" as not everyone will find 35C "pleasant" , the fact that some reporters here report on "bad weather to continue" to mean temps will remain below 25C means tolerances vary a lot.
And the OP, if she has lived in a continental European climate, may have lower tolerance levels

May to September is really hot, temps stay between 30 and 45C.
March, April and Oct/Nov are shoulder months when temps range from 20 minimum to ~35 maximum, evenings are generally pleasant these 4 months but day time may still feel hot

Dec-Feb sees 16-28C, even daytime is nice enough

So evenings are under 30C for 7 months of the year while daytime highs are under 30C for roughly 3 months

There are plenty of parents with small kids and if your LO likes outdoors i would look at getting a place near grass playing areas, some developments have them, some dont

·
Registered
191 Posts
dubai is a great place , so many different cultures. you can do many things here and i think bringing your 14th month old daughter wouldnt be much of a problem. there are lots of nice parks out here but now that its summer, the heat is unbearable. anyways, have many malls here that im sure you can bring your daughter to kids entertainment centers in the malls here.good luck in coming to Dubai.

·
Registered
725 Posts
We have twin 7-month old girls and have only started to take them out to interact. There are numerous numerous events/activities that can be done - both indoors and outdoors. Everyone I know with children are usually "too busy" with children's activities.

I don't see how this would differ from anywhere else we choose to live.

-md000/Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.