Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm a primary school teacher from Ireland and am planning to move to France in April. I was pretty sure I'd go to Bordeaux as I spent 6 weeks there last summer and like the city. There was also another reason for going there but this is no longer the case and I was talking to a French person who has lived a few years in both of these cities and he said he would definitely recommend Toulouse more as it is friendlier and more welcoming. I have never been to Toulouse and would just like anyone's opinions on either Bordeaux or Toulouse for living in and looking for work etc... any help would be much appreciated as I need to decide for sure soon to start looking for an apartment!

Fiona

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hi - here's a little suggestion - you know Bordeaux - so why not try Toulouse? Only you can decide which one you prefer.

100,000 students there - so must be a reasonable social life if that is what you are after.

I have a contact in Toulouse who organises English classes for young children - might be just up your street - or at least a start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi contentedscot thanks for the reply... would you have contact details for that person in Toulouse or even tell me a little bit more about what they do... is it in a school setting or otherwise? I was definitely set on Bordeaux but when I think about it there's nothing tying me to there now.... and I'd like to pick the place where you would fit in quite easily :) so if work came up in either city it would sway me no doubt!!! Any more advice greatly appreciated

·
Registered
664 Posts
Try googling clicenglish - don't know how much work there would be for you but you never know - and you would have some contacts. Work might not start to the autumn but that leaves you summer months to visit the area. It's a start if nothing else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a million had a look at that website looks great :) just wondering would you have an email address I can contact the school through? Checked on website but just goes into outlook which never works on my computer - thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I live just south of Toulouse, abut 25 mins away in a little villiage. I have never been to Bordeaux as only moved to France myself 10 months ago and have not yet had the time.
I do not know anyting about jobs in Toulouse, but can say that it is an absolutely beautiful city that i would recommend deaply. There are many things to do, from visiting art galleries, gazing at the gorgeous french architecture, shopping, or just wandering along the river bank, (as well as a good night life).
My partner lived in Toulouse for 6 months a few years ago and had a great time. He made lots of friends, and never found himself without something to do. It is quite expensive, but then all cities are.

Good luck in making your decision.

Rachel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fao Contentedscot - tried emailing that school but got a delivery failure notice would you have any other contact details for them? If not no worries - thanks a million :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.