Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Shud I mention my GF/de facto (who is not intrested inPR) in my PR application

• My application will NOT be prolonged if i do.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My application will be prolonged if i do.

• Does not matter if I do or dont

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • IT is required to mention your defacto

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be applying for my Australian PR soon,
But i will be applying as a Independent, since I have all the required points.

My girlfriend is staying with me, but she is not interested in applying for an Australian PR at all.

Therefore should I mention her as a de-facto in my application? or is it alright if I dont?

Will me application be delayed/prolonged if I do?

Please advice.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Should you both be granted the PR visa, will she at least make a short visa validation trip? If not, then both your visas will stand invalid. Do consider this too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi omkard,

I can think of the following cons.

Adding her as a partner:
  • pay additional AU$1,800 for her visa (+ her medicals, + her PCC)
  • more documents to prepare
  • possibility of prolonging the application, since CO might ask more proof of de-facto relationship

Not adding her as a partner:
  • she won't get a PR visa (she'll have to apply for a new visa. Note that Partner Visa fee will be increased by almost 50% this coming July)
  • long distance relationship

If you want to spend the rest of your life with her, convince her to migrate with you :)

My girlfriend is staying with me, but she is not interested in applying for an Australian PR at all.

Therefore should I mention her as a de-facto in my application? or is it alright if I dont?

Please advice.
Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't think omkard's visa will become invalid if only his girlfriend didn't meet the IED.

Should you both be granted the PR visa, will she at least make a short visa validation trip? If not, then both your visas will stand invalid. Do consider this too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi KeeDa,
This is an off topic qn. Would my PR be invalidated if my dependents don't travel for the validation trip?

I thought it would be invalidated only for the person who does not travel

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Hi KeeDa,
This is an off topic qn. Would my PR be invalidated if my dependents don't travel for the validation trip?

I thought it would be invalidated only for the person who does not travel
The visa grant letter should have all the conditions/ restrictions mentioned therein. From what I have read/ known, unless there have been any recent changes to the conditions on PR visas, it indeed is that all must validate their visas well in time. Ref this post/ thread:

Dependents are free to travel prior to Main applicants, there aren't any restrictions.

My Friend did the same thing in Sep 2014 without any issues/concerns.

This has also been confirmed in many threads in this forum. BUT only point is that ALL should land in Australia before the IED.

Regards,
Jeetendra
Maybe someone who has received a grant recently can comment here about these visa validation conditions.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
correction : any person who fails to enter before the first entry date loses their own visa, not the entire family

·
Registered
412 Posts
correction : any person who fails to enter before the first entry date loses their own visa, not the entire family
Well, this is an interesting point and sounds logical when main applicant is able to travel, but dependants (e.g.parent) not able to travel due to odd reasons.

If you consider the case where dependants are able to travel, but main applicant is not able to, then the main applicant loses the visa - so its illogical for dependants to continue holding the visa.

Another case where applicant completes the IED, and spouse does not. If main applicant had got 5 partner points which enabled him/her eligible for the visa. How does it make sense validating the applicant, and invalidating spouse's visa?

All these cases could (potentially) lead to visa scams, and I believe there would be provisions to stop these from happening.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Please advice.
Thanks
Why would she spend time, money and effort in gathering documents for a visa that she is not even interested in? Any lapses on her front could jeopardize your application, if included in your application.

I would really weigh the priorities - gf or visa. :)
I don't see any value in including her if she is not willing to travel (now, or any time in future).

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Well, this is an interesting point and sounds logical when main applicant is able to travel, but dependants (e.g.parent) not able to travel due to odd reasons.

If you consider the case where dependants are able to travel, but main applicant is not able to, then the main applicant loses the visa - so its illogical for dependants to continue holding the visa.

Another case where applicant completes the IED, and spouse does not. If main applicant had got 5 partner points which enabled him/her eligible for the visa. How does it make sense validating the applicant, and invalidating spouse's visa?

All these cases could (potentially) lead to visa scams, and I believe there would be provisions to stop these from happening.
well since when does everything make sense :D

There are no provisions for such cancellations due to missed IED ... Remember, after the grant even if the primary applicant dies, secondary applicants keep the visas

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your replies friends!!

Well the situation is both of us are in Australia and she is going to be in Australia for the next 3 years completing her education.

So I think I think I will apply as an independent, after 3 years I will assess the situation then and make a decision about her PR,

My only concern is if i simply mention her as a defacto (while applying independently) , will I face any problems???
or is is really necessary to mention her in the application?.

thanks again!!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Thanks for all your replies friends!!

Well the situation is both of us are in Australia and she is going to be in Australia for the next 3 years completing her education.

So I think I think I will apply as an independent, after 3 years I will assess the situation then and make a decision about her PR,

My only concern is if i simply mention her as a defacto (while applying independently) , will I face any problems???
or is is really necessary to mention her in the application?.

thanks again!!
There is no harm in applying independent. At the end of her education she can apply for one too. If you include her now, you'll have to prove your defacto relationship.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
If she's your de facto partner, you must include her as a non-migrating dependent. If you don't, and later want to apply for a partner visa, you can't count any time living together prior to your visa since you didn't declare her as a partner on your application.

Reactions: jimblrtoaus
1 - 13 of 13 Posts