Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I live in Norway, but I bought a apartment in Alicante city. I am planning on staying there 3 months each year.

My current telephone provider gives me same conditions in Spain as in Norway, free calls, free sms, free mms and 3gb data each month.

I am going to buy internet, but I am wondering if I should go for phone included. Is there any reason for me to get a spanish telephone number?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hola

I think you are under a misapprehension - you provider will charge you more to phone a Spanish number - as will Spanish providers charge more to ring your Norwegian telephone number

Davexf

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hola

I think you are under a misapprehension - you provider will charge you more to phone a Spanish number - as will Spanish providers charge more to ring your Norwegian telephone number

Davexf
No. Norwegian providers gives me free calls to Spanish numbers also.

·
Registered
263 Posts
No need to get a Spanish phone number. I got one 18 month ago (pay as you go) and used it three times. I don't speak Spanish but thought it would be good to have a Spanish number. As you've got all inclusive it makes even less sense in your case.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Since Norway is an EEA/EFTA member, it may well be that the roaming requirements apply. If that is the case, then I believe the OP would have no need for a fixed phone number as he/she could be easily contact via mobile.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
When we first arrived we had a few issues until we got a Spanish number. If you ever order anything online for example you have to give your phone number and seeing as delivery companies feel the need to call you as a delivery attempt they simply wont ring a foreign number.
There can also be issues with the number not being recognised in computer systems because it is not in the Spanish format.

Even had orders rejected because of it. It was only a transition period but still annoying.
I guess it all depends on how much you are planning on doing here really but I would say it could be in your best interest to get one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When we first arrived we had a few issues until we got a Spanish number. If you ever order anything online for example you have to give your phone number and seeing as delivery companies feel the need to call you as a delivery attempt they simply wont ring a foreign number.
There can also be issues with the number not being recognised in computer systems because it is not in the Spanish format.

Even had orders rejected because of it. It was only a transition period but still annoying.
I guess it all depends on how much you are planning on doing here really but I would say it could be in your best interest to get one.
Yeah thats exactly what I am thinking about. I want a Spanish number for ease of use and I could get a phone with dual sim.

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
Yeah thats exactly what I am thinking about. I want a Spanish number for ease of use and I could get a phone with dual sim.
Is it still the case that you can't get a mobile contract if you're not a resident? So it would have to be PAYG.

If you're only in the country for three months of a year, check the terms - some companies will close the account and reallocate the number if you don't use it for a while, and you will lose the balance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it still the case that you can't get a mobile contract if you're not a resident? So it would have to be PAYG.

If you're only in the country for three months of a year, check the terms - some companies will close the account and reallocate the number if you don't use it for a while, and you will lose the balance.
Will definitly check the terms. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No need to get a Spanish number nowadays.
But if you really really want to, just buy a PAYG SIM card from any Spanish airtime provider, and top up every now and then with a few euros....Get a cheapo basic secondhand phone to use it in, or get a dual SIM phone which would take both your SIM's and operated both or either as you decide for each call.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

You don't have to be a resident at all but you do have to provide some information.
Technically a passport is all that is required but more commonly an NIE is what is asked for but each company has their own set up.

We ended up being stuck with Orange as none of the other companies could put a passport number into their computer and have it accepted but Orange would accept it.

I know Hits Movil are often recommended, their deals seem quite good and you can order it all online using just your passport and they will ship the card to your door.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,113 Posts

When we first arrived and once we had residency Movistar refused me a contract as I had no formal ID.

Showed ID card....... computer says no
Showed Passport.......computer says no
Driving license.......... computer says no

My friends son, came with me and set me up a contract on his account:rolleyes:

I've since cancelled and am now with Movistar phones TV internet.... computer says yes!

The girls who dealt with our new contract was amazed that the other shop refused me a contract.... her words..... some people just don't know anything beyond their own noses! We had to cancel the old original contract.... BUT. my friends son is now in the Navy..... he was supposed to go to the shop to CX the contract.... however nice girl in shop went on line.... I had all his info... and requested it on line for me so all sorted.

Nothing to do with OP :p but cautionary tale.... not everything is as it seems

Back to OP. Personally I find having a Spanish number more convenient for everyday life, deliveries, companies etc find it more acceptable

:tea:

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Just from my point of view....I have friends who spend chunks of time in Spain but keep their UK etc. mobiles. It pisses me off when I need to ring them, paying for foreign calls to someone who lives five minutes drive away.
Get a Spanish PAYGO. I used to have a phone that took two SIMs when I lived in Prague and made weekly UK trips, ditto when I moved to Spain. I bought a £10 card when I got to Heathrow or wherever.

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
Just from my point of view....I have friends who spend chunks of time in Spain but keep their UK etc. mobiles. It pisses me off when I need to ring them, paying for foreign calls to someone who lives five minutes drive away.
You don't have to pay higher rates to and from UK phones any more, all mobile charges are the same across the EU. As from April 2017 I think.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
You don't have to pay higher rates to and from UK phones any more, all mobile charges are the same across the EU. As from April 2017 I think.
Didn't know that...Does that mean a call to the UK is the same as an internal call. Surely not...

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hola

Unless it has changed, calls to your own country are the same from any EU country whereas calls to a different country attract a higher rate

Davexf

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
If I have to call a UK number, either fixed or mobile I have to pay for an international call. This is the same if you are using a mobile phone belonging to one country to call another country, i.e. a UK mobile to call a Spanish number, the difference is you don't also have a roaming charge on top if you not in UK.

If people can't be bothered to get a Spanish number (either fixed or mobile) to save themselves money, I'm d*mned if I am going to spend extra for an international call to save them money.

Before the usual culprits start going on about "No roaming" charges - I'm not roaming I'm where my phone is registered. The problem is most of you don't know what "roaming" is and why you were charged for it (not now)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts