Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm beginning the process of applying for 175 or 176 and was wondering if any experts think I should apply for a new passport to make things go more smoothly.

My passport is still in my maiden name and although I have a marriage cert to prove a name change it seemed to cause a little bit of confusion when goin for our 475. My hubby is main applicant on 475 and I am secondary applicant but I am named as my maiden name. I don't know if this was necessary or if it was just our agent.

I know Medicare did my medicals under the maiden name because they have to go by name on passport, regardless of marriage cert but all my degree parchments etc are in married name. Which I didn't have to show for 475 but will have to show for 175/76.

It's not a big deal, I can apply for one if needs be, but there's still 3 years left on it and I'd rather do it in person next Christmas when I go home, rather than do it now from Oz.

Any thoughts or experiences?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I suggest - > You MUST change your passport.
As when you go for PCC ..
You need to change it..and you need to fill Change of circumstances and give new passport details.

so Please get new passport.
You spouse name should be in each other passport.

Hope this help..read my other main thread for this.

Hi
I'm beginning the process of applying for 175 or 176 and was wondering if any experts think I should apply for a new passport to make things go more smoothly.

My passport is still in my maiden name and although I have a marriage cert to prove a name change it seemed to cause a little bit of confusion when goin for our 475. My hubby is main applicant on 475 and I am secondary applicant but I am named as my maiden name. I don't know if this was necessary or if it was just our agent.

I know Medicare did my medicals under the maiden name because they have to go by name on passport, regardless of marriage cert but all my degree parchments etc are in married name. Which I didn't have to show for 475 but will have to show for 175/76.

It's not a big deal, I can apply for one if needs be, but there's still 3 years left on it and I'd rather do it in person next Christmas when I go home, rather than do it now from Oz.

Any thoughts or experiences?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input Rakesh. I don't mind changing it as long as it's for the right reasons. I should have specified it's an Irish passport so spouse's name doesn't go in it anyway. Also I don't think it will affect PCC as they do a search under all current and past names (I had to get this for 475).

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think you will have problems if you have some documentation in your maiden name and some in marraige name. I would change the passport. As you probably know by now, the DIAC are very officacious and do everything by the book - its great.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok That's the next thing I'll look into then. I'm sure it's still straightforward to apply for overseas.

Yes it's just great how there's no grey areas with Diac- keep you on your toes ha!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok That's the next thing I'll look into then. I'm sure it's still straightforward to apply for overseas.

Yes it's just great how there's no grey areas with Diac- keep you on your toes ha!
I applied for a 176 in my name and had no problems regarding my wife being named under her own maiden name. She has always used the same name.

As for DIAC, it can sometimes be a shock just how by-the-book they are. I had a few moments with them. In Ireland we are used to a bit of grey area - that probably why the place got so screwed up. The Australians manage to do things properly by always doing things by the book.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes that's very true, lots of grey areas and backhanders in Ireland and look where that's got us! But somewhere in the middle would be nice :) I must get the skills assessment sorted tomorrow and I'll look into a new passport then.

I'll have more questions in the coming weeks no doubt!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes that's very true, lots of grey areas and backhanders in Ireland and look where that's got us! But somewhere in the middle would be nice :) I must get the skills assessment sorted tomorrow and I'll look into a new passport then.

I'll have more questions in the coming weeks no doubt!!
You said your diplomas were in your maiden name I think. In that case you might need to get your passport sorted and then go to VetAssess with your diplomas and your marriage cert. That way you'll have your new passport and ID for your sponsoring state corresponding to the name on the cert from VetAssess. It will take the Irish unis a week to get you the transcripts of your degrees etc anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.