Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all, this is my firs post and I would appreciate your advice.

I am present and settled in the UK, having been here for more than 10 years. I have applied for my father to join me in the UK, however, the application was turned down.

I was wondering if an appeal may be advisable or not. If the appeal fails, my father will try to visit me as a visitor, as he has always done. However, I don't know if my appeal will irritate the Home Office and someone there may 'blacklist' us, so that my family will have difficulty in applying for a visa in the future.

What do you think?

My sincere thanks,

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
I am present and settled in the UK, having been here for more than 10 years. I have applied for my father to join me in the UK, however, the application was turned down.

I was wondering if an appeal may be advisable or not. If the appeal fails, my father will try to visit me as a visitor, as he has always done. However, I don't know if my appeal will irritate the Home Office and someone there may 'blacklist' us, so that my family will have difficulty in applying for a visa in the future.
Your father is already on the watch list for failed visa applicants, and his details will show up every time he tries to apply for another visa (he will have to declare it on every future application form for UK visa) and when he arrives in UK with a visa waiver. I don't think appealing against Home Office decision will make the situation worse, but you should take professional advice before doing so, such as Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants | About JCWI | Legal Advice and Assistance and Immigration Advisory Service

As you know, there are strict criteria for bringing people other than your immediate family (spouse/partner and dependent children) into UK, and they must be on humanitarian grounds, such as they are destitute and there is nobody to look after them in their home country. Do go through these details carefully with an advisor, to see if you have a valid ground for a successful appeal. Convenience, enjoying better care and quality of life in UK, simple family reunion - such as desire for you to live together in UK etc will not ba valid grounds for appeal. In this respect, the UK is much more restrictive than, say US, where green card holders can bring their elderly parents to live with them on application.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.