Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The question is do you have a Carte De Sejour? I no longer carry my passport, but always carry my CDS. I do actually carry my US passport card for identification purposes though. BUT if demanded, you have three days to provide identification.

Bev recently suggested a great idea to digitally scan your entire passport should you loose your original. If you are one of those folks who always walk around with a USB key, that might be another way to offer some proof of identity, but I honestly don't know if they would accept it. Hope it helps. Warm regards!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a Carte De Sejour, but I have multiple copies of the first page of my passport, on my laptop and on paper. Maybe I should make a copy of my visa as well?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I don't have a Carte De Sejour, but I have multiple copies of the first page of my passport, on my laptop and on paper. Maybe I should make a copy of my visa as well?
Although others will certainly disagree, before I had my CDS, I walked around for nearly three years with my original passport and my visa. Yes, make sure you have copies of your visa as well. I didn't put my passport away until I got my CDS. Then again, there is that three day rule for proof but my logic has always been, don't look for trouble. Warm regards!

·
Administrator
50,378 Posts
If you are asked for i.d. you do have from one to three days to produce it. I'm not sure if they would take a copy (whether on paper or on a USB key), but it certainly wouldn't hurt to carry that.

It sort of depends - if you are just in the area around where you live, you've always got the grace period to produce your i.d. If you're going to be out of your usual area (say, vacation or other travel) I'd carry your passport so as to avoid having to return a long distance to come up with the original document.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
794 Posts
Not a US expat so slightly different imperatives but I made a colour photocopy of the main page of my passport to carry in my wallet, if that's not good enough at a control then so be it.

I also sent scanned copies to myself by email, in the event I was abroad and lost my passport as long as I could get online somewhere at least I could recover those which might help speed up getting a replacement or a temporary travel permit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.