Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, that's what it says in this article. I can't translate it now - it's too kate and I've got to be up early, but if anyone else wants to have a go,,
https://es.finance.yahoo.com/blogs/...s-empresas-ya-tienen-problemas-195024688.html
From a quick read it's saying there aren't enough young workers who are qualified in certain sectors (without naming those sectors), and says that employers are asking Formación Profesional to get more backing, something that my husband an FP teacher has been saying for years.
It seems to me like too much university or nini's and not enough middle of the road "ordinary" training.
It's not a good article to tell the truth, but the idea is important, so if anyone can find any more on this I'd be interested.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Makes sense when you hear about how many Spaniards quit schooling to go into building homes.

However, at the same time, Veterinarians hardly earn above 2000 a month.

It's the same problem as in the UK, but the opposite of what is going on in Germany (but is changing as well now) - lack of apprenticeships.

However, I read Spaniards find it much more shameful than in the UK to have careers such as plumbers or electricians.

It's sad, such high unemployment, so little skills.

·
Registered
19,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Makes sense when you hear about how many Spaniards quit schooling to go into building homes.

However, at the same time, Veterinarians hardly earn above 2000 a month.
That was what was happening in The Good Old Days ie pre crisis. Young people haven't been able to do that for many years now as there haven't been the jobs available to do it! And don't forget it was in the construction business where this was first felt. No, this is talking about the situation now.
However low salaries have always been a problem in Spain and don't look set to change.

One of the problems has been pushing young people into university. Parents, and educators to some extent, have tended to look down on FP. As people have had no guarantee of work at the end of their school days they've been told to carry on studying, but have been guided towards university. This has resulted in a lot of reluctant university students who have come out just as unemployable at the end of their degrees as if they'd left school at 18, whereas a lot of them would have got useful training and therefore a well paid job if only they'd done something in FP.

And then there are the nini's...

·
Registered
200 Posts
One of my pet hates in Spain is how doors in bathrooms in bars and restaurants often don't close properly! The standard of carpentry is just appalling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts