Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Fellow Expats,

I am a graduate student in the U.S. and I will be in Dubai next June for an internship. My internship will be for 2 month then I will return back to the U.S.

I am looking for an affordable short term apartment or hotel apartment to accommodate me during my stay in Dubai. I browsed many websites like dubizzle.com and airbnb but the prices are way too expensive. If anyone know a cheap studio apartment preferably in Al-Barsha then please let me know.

Thank you all in advance

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
You cam always negotiate down from Dubizzle prices but prices are going up quickly across the board and generally things get more expensive, as you move out from Downtown, until you reach Dubai Marina. Apartments come in all sizes and prices and you are not going to get a cheap hotel in an expensive area.

You say you are an intern - how much of a budget have you been provided with along with your work visa?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You cam always negotiate down from Dubizzle prices but prices are going up quickly across the board and generally things get more expensive, as you move out from Downtown, until you reach Dubai Marina. Apartments come in all sizes and prices and you are not going to get a cheap hotel in an expensive area.

You say you are an intern - how much of a budget have you been provided with along with your work visa?
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately My internship is a requirement for my program at my school so I wont get paid for my internship position.

From my understanding the month of Jun, July and August are considered low season in Dubai so the prices should be reasonable. I am only one person and looking for a small nice studio. Do you you think I can find a studio apartment for 4000 AED a month?

Thanks once again

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
4000AED Per month is 133AED per day. Short answer - nowhere you would want to stay. That's about $30 a day. You might get a bed in a shared flat but an apartment, no way. And you need a work visa to be employed in any way in Dubai, and that includes internships. You will need an employment contract with whomever you are working. Saying that it's a course requirement doesn't really answer the point though. Sounds like you have to do something as coursework and whomever has nominated Dubai has not done their due diligence on working here. It's also Ramadan during that period, half or more of the expats are on leave so hiring is unlikely

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already got the internship position and I am not looking to get hired. All I am asking is inquiring about is an affordable place that I can stay in during my internship in Dubai.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I already got the internship position and I am not looking to get hired. All I am asking is inquiring about is an affordable place that I can stay in during my internship in Dubai.
All I can add is that 4000AED isn't enough to get a half-decent apartment in Dubai - and that as a short term Intern, I am surprised that you are not provided with accommodation.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Your choices are either to call one of the numerous hotel apartments available in the city and try to negotiate something (even though is way too early but you might as well give it a try) or just stay in a hotel for a few days until you are able to rent a room in a shared flat once you get here (easy option and more in line with your budget). Rents are going up again and who knows what are they going to be like in June next year. Right now it would be difficult to get a decent long term furnished studio for the budget you mention, let alone for short term. The way things are looking is that rents will be much higher next year so chances will be even smaller.

Because of this I agree you should try to get accommodation provided. The fact that you may be able to find something affordable today doesn't mean this will still be the case in 6 or 8 months. It could very well be that by the time you make it here, 4000 dhs won't get you anything (besides possibly a room in a shared flat).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts