Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at doing a short-term stay in France, probably 2 months or so. I will have my two boys with me, ages 14 & 9. The older one has done French for two years, the younger one is starting.

I am looking at a private Catholic school in the city I will be in. Would it make sense to enroll them for a short term (anywhere from one month to 3 months)? I am not looking for them to gain fluency, but more that they get exposure to a different culture.

I did some searches, but did not find much directly on topic. Any advice / experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Administrator
49,769 Posts
I suspect you'll have to talk to the school you're thinking of putting them in. It could very well depend on the situation of the school and possibly even the time of year. There is also the school holiday calendar to consider. (We're in the middle of the season right now where there is one two-week holiday, a bare six weeks of school and then another two week holiday.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect you'll have to talk to the school you're thinking of putting them in. It could very well depend on the situation of the school and possibly even the time of year. There is also the school holiday calendar to consider. (We're in the middle of the season right now where there is one two-week holiday, a bare six weeks of school and then another two week holiday.)
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks. The idea right now would be at the beginning of the school year this coming fall (3 september), but that could change.

·
Registered
550 Posts
No.

I think it'll just cause undue stress. They're unlikely to make any friends as your answer to "how long will you be here?" will be unsatisfactory. (And that's the #1 question we were asked when we moved here) The school day is long and it's very stressful listening to someone speak non-stop in a language you don't understand. Bullying can be bad, and a friend recently shared an article with me that stated that ex-pats were often targets because they are "different"

Get them out in the community, practice talking to the shopkeepers, maybe see if there's a sports team they can join if you want culture.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No.

I think it'll just cause undue stress. They're unlikely to make any friends as your answer to "how long will you be here?" will be unsatisfactory. (And that's the #1 question we were asked when we moved here) The school day is long and it's very stressful listening to someone speak non-stop in a language you don't understand. Bullying can be bad, and a friend recently shared an article with me that stated that ex-pats were often targets because they are "different"

Get them out in the community, practice talking to the shopkeepers, maybe see if there's a sports team they can join if you want culture.
Thanks for your reply (and thanks to Bevdeforges too).

Anyone else? Any experiences? Thank you.

G

·
What do your boys think about it? Are they used to adapting to new situations, have you moved before? Do they make friends easily?

I don't see why it shouldn't be a positive experience and it's only for a short period so it wouldn't be dramatic if they didn't settle in.

My daughters were 5 and 7 when we moved to France and they spoke very little French. Everyone at school was very kind and they had no difficulty making friends - they had novelty value for a while.

When your boys do make friends, it would be good if you could invite them home, then your sons will get return invitations. This will "cement" the friendships, as well as giving them insight into French family life.

You seem to be a dynamic, positive thinking person and I'm sure your boys will take the lead from you and enjoy the experience!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think it depends somewhat on the school as well. The local private school where I live in England takes students for short term programs so the school and the students are used to this. (i enquired for one of my kids French cousins).

I also know that where my boys father lives in France they were happy to do it for a short term period with our kids too and that was not private. Plus you didn't need to wait to be accepted as I have read on here but maybe that's because one parent is French?

I agree with the last comment that your attitude will also be a positive role model for the kids and if you just get on with it then your boys can see and learn from this approach. Joining sports or craft clubs are other good ways to.

Good luck, keep us posted with what you decide and how it turns out xx

·
Registered
594 Posts
Dear
Foor 2 months, no worries, enroll in a distance course for them that is more than adequate unless they are somhow already at ease with French.

·
Registered
564 Posts
When I was 17 I went to school in Spain for 2 months. Contrary to what others have said, it was an amazing experience and I made tons of friends. Some of us have even found each other on Facebook after all these years!

I don't know about the technicalities of the whole thing, but I would definitely try to get them in even for a short time. They won't learn anything academic! :D The experience however will be well worth it. You might just have to get their work from their home school. So they can do it while they are away. I didn't need to because it was in the spring of my senior year.... My grades were pretty much set by then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.