Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking to rent somewhere near Avignon for six months (with a view to possibly extending the stay depending on work) next year. At the moment I am teaching abroad so the internet is my only method of searching for somewhere until July 2012 when I'm back in Europe.

Could someone recommend a website to search for an appropriate place? I am looking for somewhere cheap, a studio apartment/bedsit maybe. Is this possible or common?

Also if anyone happens to have information on the best way to get an English teaching job (I have experience, qualifications etc), whether it be private or not, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

·
Administrator
49,453 Posts
Websites are all well and good for flat hunting, but I think most folks here agree that the photos on a website normally hide a multitude of sins. For a six month rental, you'll be looking at "holiday properties" - gites, vacation apartments, etc. - and those tend to rent by the week (as they are fully furnished).

Use the Internet to get a feel for prices and conditions, but it would be safest to book some sort of hotel/b&b or other short-term accommodation on your arrival to give you a chance to do your apartment hunting in person.

English teaching jobs are not all that readily available and usually not terribly well paid. Start by hitting the language schools listed in the Pages Jaunes for Avignon and see what sort of response you get. Other than that, there is always the self-employment route - for which you may need to register as an auto-entrepreneur to cover taxes and social insurances.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks a mil Bev, I thought I might have to follow this route but it's good to get confirmation.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Being in a fairly similar situation, I have decent luck with lodgis which has location meublee et location saisonniere, though to be honest while I am french and my family is somewhat on site, it sounds like nothing is possible until right before and being there. I am personally looking for a rental in Paris for 2 months and then we are hoping to settle somewhere cheap in the southern part of France, January will be our exploring time, I am currently looking at pertuis and that area, close enough to six but remote enough it is kind of affordable. Vivastreet might have something, who knows. It is more like a classified site though.sorry I can't be better help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kirikara, that's more helpful than you think, I found somewhere that would be perfect through vivastreet, apart from the fact I won't be moving until next year it would be perfect anyway.
I will check again closer to the time and hopefully find something. Thanks a mill!

·
Registered
309 Posts
great! yes. vivastreet sounded like a good bet or our paris stay too, but right now it i sall for JAn-feb. so it is definitely more of a craigslist last minute type deal. good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.