Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To preface: I'm not looking for a job for myself, and not looking for a specific job offer, but I am curious to know if such an opportunity exists.

Has anyone heard of jobs that are for 1 month, or even 2 months. Like contract jobs for the summer. Preferably in the outdoors/service industry. I've got young relatives back in the states who'd love to spend a month or 2 during the summer in Dubai and I promised I'd ask around. Of course they'd know English and be college students. Good pay is not important - they just want a "paycation".

I'm in Egypt but have been to Dubai. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Given you have to arrange a work permit, medicals etc regardless of duration its not common with ordinary jobs as its not economical as the employer would have to shell out a lot of $$$$

That said, there's a type of working visa that is only valid for about 3 months which an employer can use to bring someone in - we use them for work experience graduates from our UK business but it costs a lot and is only good for getting someone experience. I cannot recall exactly what they are called but its something like a mission visa ?

Normally we wouldn't use them and certainly wouldn't use them for temporary roles.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
There are short term (right down to 4 days) jobs in the events industry, especially things like the Rugby 7's, Meydan etc. Organisers can and often do sort out temporary visas for foreign workers.

The downside is it's an extremely closed shop and it's preferable if people are in Dubai and on a visa already, especially for non skilled personnel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, I figured it wouldn't be cost effective for the employers to bring in a temp from overseas. Thanks for the info. Just wanted them to have something fun to do this summer. I suppose they can just come and not work.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Any very short-term casual work with or without a visa, would be aimed at anyone already based here. They can pretty much forget having anyone put them up, and they'll have to fend for themselves.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. Iggles, they're American, they don't clean...let alone do it for free :p

I wonder if there are any classes they can take. Like short term Arabic lessons or even a scuba divemaster certification. Those things last a couple weeks, at least.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts