Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that there is this place in Mexico City that is a place that you can purchase any and all kinds of food - like an open market? it is suppose to be huge in size. does anyone know about it.?? Where it is and what it is called?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I was told that there is this place in Mexico City that is a place that you can purchase any and all kinds of food - like an open market? it is suppose to be huge in size. does anyone know about it.?? Where it is and what it is called?
What exactly are you looking for?

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
There are several or more such mercados in the D.F. which seem to sell anything and everything.

Mercado La Merced just east of the Centro Historico district is one such, popular marketplace. Actually, it's a neighborhood of interlocking/adjacent markets.

Mercado San Juan Pugibet is another popular market, though smaller in size than La Merced. It's a magnet for foodies in the D.F.

The largest market in the D.F., and the largest in all of Mexico and a bit out of the way for people not familiar with it is principally a mercado focusing on the wholesale business, but retail customers are welcome. It's overwhelming in size: Central de Abasto.

There are mercados in the D.F. which specialize in one thing or another: at Mercado Jamaica, for example, it's flowers. At Mercado Sonora it's items a shaman might ask you to bring to a session, religious articafts, toys and domestic pets (and some endangered animals). And at Mercado Insurgentes it's silver jewelry. At La Ciudadela ... you will find artisan products from throughout Mexico.

Learn more:

La Merced Market, Mexico City

San Juan Pugibet - Mexico City

Central de Abasto, Mexico City

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am looking for really fresh fruit and spices - dill for one. I want to make Dill Pickles and I can not seem to find fresh dill anywhere.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I am looking for really fresh fruit and spices - dill for one. I want to make Dill Pickles and I can not seem to find fresh dill anywhere.
I have bought dried dill at Walmarts in case you can't find the fresh.

·
Registered
15 Posts
FWIW I've bought fresh dill at Superama but they don't carry it consistently. City Market would probably have it. (If there were a City Market near me that would easily be my preferred place to shop.)

·
Registered
929 Posts
You can get fresh herbs in pots at the Mercado de plantas in Xochimilco, on Madre Selva next to the Bosque de Nativitas. Next time I’m there (perhaps tomorrow) I’ll check and see if I find any dill.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live in Bucerias - so local would be around Banderas Bay area, however to can in large quantities I was thinking I would have to go into Mexico City.

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
A possible solution: get some seeds, and grow all the dill you want. Before going all the way to Mexico City for it, if this were a question I had I would ask at the local mercados to see what local source(s) there might be. Best of luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
surfrider said:
You can certainly get dill at the Mercardo San Juan and I go there to get spices, fresh vegetables and herbs, meat, fish etc. that I can't get elsewhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.