Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone :)

My GFs birthday is coming up in Dec (UK here btw). The rona ruined my plans to be with her :( and so I thought I'd get her something online.

Unless I'm mistaken it appears that there are two big online retailers there in the Ph. Lazada & Shopee.

Are they reliable & safe? Decent delivery times? She lives in Iloilo.

Would really appreciate some advice from those of you in the know.

Many thanks :)

·
3,239 Posts

My GFs birthday is coming up in Dec (UK here btw). The rona ruined my plans to be with her :( and so I thought I'd get her something online.

Unless I'm mistaken it appears that there are two big online retailers there in the Ph. Lazada & Shopee.

Without a doubt reliable and safe, but we use the COD option, I'm not crazy about using my Credit Card online, but we've always received our package, we've ordered so many times I've lost count and we just put in two orders yesterday... but what you need to leave is a workable phone number in the Philippines so the delivery guys can notify you they are coming or help in finding your location.

Iloilo? Oh boy that's a long way from Manila so I don't know what the shipping time for that because I live on Luzon or about 60 miles from Manila and it can take from 3 days at best to two weeks for delivery.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

I've used both and it sort of depends on what you are looking for. Delivery time depends on if it is from within the Philippines or from China. It can vary from a few days to 2-3 weeks from China. Saying that I received items from China very quickly. I have had a couple of items incorrectly delived ie completely the wrong item or not quit the same as the picture so it can be a bit hit or miss. If you want something to arrive on a certain date I think you will be pushing it. I do stick to COD which in your case is not practical and have had one large item not delivered by LBC even though they tried three times including a Sunday when their website says they don't deliver. But they didn't get the money so not my problem.

·
3,239 Posts
I have had a couple of items incorrectly delived ie completely the wrong item or not quit the same as the picture so it can be a bit hit or miss.
Good point Gary, we ordered some bed sheet comforter sets and they came in a different color and I ordered some briefs/underpants and not all came in the size that I ordered.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

M.C.A. is correct, most here use those services because COD is the norm but paying up front might be riskier, as always a gift for your better half is probably worth it. Just make sure the seller has good ratings all around and you should be ok. Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
My Asawa has bought things online and has had no trouble with shipping(we live in Mandurriao, suburb of Iloilo City). They always call to let her know they are delivering and for directions.

Just from your previous posts I would guess your lady lives out toward Janiuay if past the airport or somewhere near Santa Barbara if closer to Iloilo. As near as I know, there are no problems delivering in Iloilo Province as long as she has a phone so they can call for delivery. Also, as far as I know, there are no delays as when my Asawa orders, the goods arrive promptly within a couple days from Manila or otherwise.

Fred

·
Registered
78 Posts
Everything about Shopee is better, selection, chat, app, sellers, etc.

If you find something you like, search by "total sales" to find the most popular sellers who generally have the best ratings / lowest prices.

And in the message write "no color/size substitutions" or something like that when you order.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve really only used Lazada and have never had an issue. Searching for specific items can be a pain sometimes though. I have no worries about using my credit card. You just need to do your best to feel comfortable with the individual sellers. You will find the same products sold by many different sellers, but reviews can be wildly different. There is also a lot of cheap knockoffs trying to be passed off as the real deal (some sellers are open and honest if you ask if it is authentic). If it has the “100% Authentic” graphic you can be confident on Lazada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
We use Lazeda , looked on shopee many times and the things we wanted always out of stock !
Have bought many things from Lazeda and am very pleased with the service even next day delivery sometimes !
Recently bought a fast charger and Data cable from a Philippines company on Lazeda its a well made product and works as it says ! Today i am ordering 2 UK and US multi mains outlets six sockets and 4 usb outlets ! On lazeda the page actually shows the inside of how its made if i need mobile or usb cables etc i will buy from the same company ! I think for long distance deliveries lazeda uses LBC etc

·
Registered
604 Posts
Lazada and Shopee are both reliable. I used to use Lazada but last year they started letting the sellers set their shipping prices, and they skyrocketed. We switched to Shopee and have been very happy. Lazada shipping cost may be cheaper in Manila... but we were in Iloilo.

I lived in Iloilo and shipping was always really quick - even from China (maybe a week). But... right now it is best to look for items in Manila (you can sort by location in Shopee). I have tried adding things from China, during covid, and it automatically gets removed from my cart. Stuff from Manila comes pretty fast.

I need a couple things now, and it will be fun to see how fast (?) things get to Boracay ha ha

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We use Lazeda , looked on shopee many times and the things we wanted always out of stock !
Have bought many things from Lazeda and am very pleased with the service even next day delivery sometimes !
Recently bought a fast charger and Data cable from a Philippines company on Lazeda its a well made product and works as it says ! Today i am ordering 2 UK and US multi mains outlets six sockets and 4 usb outlets ! On lazeda the page actually shows the inside of how its made if i need mobile or usb cables etc i will buy from the same company ! I think for long distance deliveries lazeda uses LBC etc
I've had a mix of couriers with Lazada, LBC have been the most troublesome.

·
Registered
240 Posts
... Decent delivery times? She lives in Iloilo. Would really appreciate some advice from those of you in the know. Many thanks :)
Agree with all that’s been said on here. As for delivery times, after you’ve logged on and selected your item, the system tells you the estimated delivery time and cost of delivery before you make payment, so you can back out at any time. In our experience, the item has usually been delivered earlier than specified. But no, you would not be able to guarantee a specific date. The overriding issue is one of quality. Even when they specify a particular brand, there is little guarantee that that is what you'll get.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've only ordered on Lazada which has been fine considering we ship to 3 hrs outside Tacloban City.

Since once you order then you deal with the seller, my last order of four items got confusing dealing with the four different sellers on the same order. So now I'll make each item from a different seller it's own individual order so what's going on is more clear.

Have never used Shopee to know if its the same concept.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used to use Lazada, but I found that every time I bought something electrical or electronic it was faulty! I'm sure that was just coincidence, but I soon got fed up returning defective items.
I've had no problems since switching to Shopee. Coincidence again, I'm sure.
I use COD for all transactions; if something is not available COD I don't buy it.
One real bugbear with both is the very poor onsite search engine. No matter how explicit the search it returns everything with the word tea [for instance] in it. And if you search on cost: highest first basis, you will find items selling for thousands which are on the same page for P100! This must be down to carelessness, either by the vendor or by staff at Lazada and Shopee; or perhaps some vendors are relying on buyers not noticing the disparities!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whoa what happened, it all looks so different on here. I kinda miss the 90s vibe the old forum interface had! This is nice too, text doesnt run in long strips lengthwise so its easier to read. Is there a dark mode? I'll check the settings!

Anyway back onto my topic....

Thank you all very much for the useful replies :)

I have signed up to both sites. I must say they look extremely similar. Its a bit haphazard and both feel more like a giant private seller rather than like an Amazon. I think Im leaning more towards Shopee. I have however decided I will never order expensive electronic stuff from them. No laptops and such. I managed to install the Lazada app on my phone but Shopee is not available in the UK Google Play Store. Which is not a big deal as I can fire up the website instead.

I have also decided to listen to all your advice to lean towards COD rather than pay upfront using a card. So im gonna pick the stuff, let her take a look and see if all ok then wire her the $ for the COD.

My Asawa has bought things online and has had no trouble with shipping(we live in Mandurriao, suburb of Iloilo City). They always call to let her know they are delivering and for directions.

Just from your previous posts I would guess your lady lives out toward Janiuay if past the airport or somewhere near Santa Barbara if closer to Iloilo. As near as I know, there are no problems delivering in Iloilo Province as long as she has a phone so they can call for delivery. Also, as far as I know, there are no delays as when my Asawa orders, the goods arrive promptly within a couple days from Manila or otherwise.

Fred
You are right, close to Santa Barbara! Not far from the main highway leading from the airport to the city. Good to know she is still in the delivery area thank you for your reply!

·
3,239 Posts
Whoa what happened, it all looks so different on here. I kinda miss the 90s vibe the old forum interface had! This is nice too, text doesnt run in long strips lengthwise so its easier to read. Is there a dark mode? I'll check the settings!
Thank you all very much for the useful replies :)
Hi Katana... there is a Dark Mode and I use it also, it's located at the upper R/H side of the screen to the right hand side of your icon photo, the 3 vertical dots.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use both everyday, generally reliable, but Shopee will deliver things 1 by one, 5 items might mean 5 deliveries in 1 day it can be annoying. If you have a problem message the seller, they usually bend over backward to avoid a bad review and most will pay for return shipping. I use credit card with them all the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The only down side to paying by card is that some times they take weeks to deliver for some strange reason and your money is tied up. With COD you can just order again and refuse the original order.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts