Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure there are quite a few Texans in Mexico. Texans typically have guns and like to shoot (ok, not all Texans). I am aware of the laws in Mexico that prevents people from having weapons to defend themselves.

For those who enjoyed target shooting as a sport, my question is, what are those folks doing to fill the void?

·
Super Moderator
8,994 Posts
I am sure there are quite a few Texans in Mexico. Texans typically have guns and like to shoot (ok, not all Texans). I am aware of the laws in Mexico that prevents people from having weapons to defend themselves.

For those who enjoyed target shooting as a sport, my question is, what are those folks doing to fill the void?
Why do you think you'll need to defend yourself once you're living in Mexico? From whom or what?

Maybe target-shooting aficionados have found other things to do to fill their idle hours.

P.S. I moved this thread to the main Mexico Forum, because it deals with life in Mexico. The Chatarrería is for off-topic threads.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Typical gun toting American way of thinking. I had several firearms when I lived in the almighty USA but sold them all before I moved here. You should do the same.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I don't know how many Texans live in Mexico, but anyway, if you are going to move here and if you are Texan, yes, there are legal ways to own guns
You will find it a heck of a lot more difficult than in the US; you will not be able to apply for a concealed gun permit, you will have to be a permanent resident in order to start thinking about gun ownership permits, there are very few shooting ranges here ( I mean it, very few) ammo is very expensive.
Contrary to what many people believes, gun ownership in Mexico is legal, you have to fill out lots of applications and maybe, just maybe, you get your permit
Once again, don't try comparing to the US, different Country, different laws
One more thing, in general, the average citizen here do not try to protect themselves with guns

·
Registered
128 Posts
I saw what appeared to be air rifles for sale last week at Wally World in Guadalajara. I have no idea of the requirements to purchase one. My nephew got one for his 7th birthday last year and we actually used it for target practice some. At 30-40' it was pretty damn accurate when pumped to full capacity. I shot both it and my 22 Remington and it was extremely close. If you have the land, you could certainly have fun playing with one of them.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Wow, it sure did not take long for the PC police to form a gang around the OP for just mentioning the word "gun". The OP did not even mention personally owning a gun, liking guns, or wanting to have a gun in Mexico.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I saw what appeared to be air rifles for sale last week at Wally World in Guadalajara. I have no idea of the requirements to purchase one. My nephew got one for his 7th birthday last year and we actually used it for target practice some. At 30-40' it was pretty damn accurate when pumped to full capacity. I shot both it and my 22 Remington and it was extremely close. If you have the land, you could certainly have fun playing with one of them.
Air guns, pellet or bb's do not require any special permit

·
Registered
2,144 Posts

Mexican laws DO NOT prevent people from having weapons for defense; you may have them , registered, up to a certain caliber, up to a certain number, and not take them out of your home.
If you hunt, there are permits for you to move them to the hunting places.

Once again, different laws; you may not carry them in a gun rack on your pick up

Hunting is by no means as popular as it is in the US

Target shooting you can practice with air rifles, or in shooting ranges, but they are not very many here

·
Registered
416 Posts
Gary, I have a question for you since I believe you have said you are a Mexican citizen.
In your opinion, what percentage of Mexican people do you believe would like to have a 2nd Amendment, or something similar that would allow personal gun ownership. I'm just curious because in Juarez, where there has been so much violence, I'd say it would be about 50/50. One man, a journalist I know, told me once that he believed that if citizens had guns the cartels violence would be over in six weeks. A lot of the other people I know thought it would make things worse. Just wondering about your opinion as to how you think the country as a whole would vote on such a question.

As you've pointed out, it can be done in Mexico with a lot of paperwork. I'm talking about much less restrictive gun laws.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Gary, I have a question for you since I believe you have said you are a Mexican citizen.
In your opinion, what percentage of Mexican people do you believe would like to have a 2nd Amendment, or something similar that would allow personal gun ownership. I'm just curious because in Juarez, where there has been so much violence, I'd say it would be about 50/50. One man, a journalist I know, told me once that he believed that if citizens had guns the cartels violence would be over in six weeks. A lot of the other people I know thought it would make things worse. Just wondering about your opinion as to how you think the country as a whole would vote on such a question.

As you've pointed out, it can be done in Mexico with a lot of paperwork. I'm talking about much less restrictive gun laws.
Wow (Hijole) That's a tough one, we need a few beers in front of us to talk about that issue!
First of all, many Mexicans are legally armed, many many are illegally armed, not counting criminals.
There are many firearms owned by regular citizens and not registered, and that is illegal.

I would agree with you, maybe 50/50 sometimes 40% in favor, 60% opposed

I am positive about having many changes to firearm laws in Mexico, BUT, having laws like in the US, I am also positive that would raise hell here. We Mexicans LIKE guns, and we go crazy with them...

I think if gun laws would be similar to the US, in no time we'd be having the same if not more gun related problems, as in the US.

About using firearms against drug dealers and finishing the job in a few weeks, I don't think so, if that was the case, the US would have cleaned the Country a long time ago.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Wow (Hijole) That's a tough one, we need a few beers in front of us to talk about that issue!
First of all, many Mexicans are legally armed, many many are illegally armed, not counting criminals.
There are many firearms owned by regular citizens and not registered, and that is illegal.

I would agree with you, maybe 50/50 sometimes 40% in favor, 60% opposed

I am positive about having many changes to firearm laws in Mexico, BUT, having laws like in the US, I am also positive that would raise hell here. We Mexicans LIKE guns, and we go crazy with them...

I think if gun laws would be similar to the US, in no time we'd be having the same if not more gun related problems, as in the US.

About using firearms against drug dealers and finishing the job in a few weeks, I don't think so, if that was the case, the US would have cleaned the Country a long time ago.
That sounds about like what I encountered in a small circle of friends, 50/50, or maybe 60/40. It's a question I like to ask intelligent people when I have the chance. My new cab driver friend in Durango's response bears out something else you said. He said the law didn't matter. People who wanted a gun in their homes had them, legal or not. He wasn't speaking personally, and I didn't ask.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
That sounds about like what I encountered in a small circle of friends, 50/50, or maybe 60/40. It's a question I like to ask intelligent people when I have the chance. My new cab driver friend in Durango's response bears out something else you said. He said the law didn't matter. People who wanted a gun in their homes had them, legal or not. He wasn't speaking personally, and I didn't ask.
Most probably he owns one or two!

It really is like that in Mexico; if you want one, you get it, period.
Down side to this is, if you get caught, you are fried, because Mexican laws are very hard on those subjects

·
Registered
706 Posts
This is true. Since I have been here I have built a cache of air-guns. The larger rifles I have are about as close to a 22 that you can get without actually using gun powder. They are pretty close to the competition style air rifles used in the Olympics and other semi-pro airgun clubs. The other ones I have are of the CO2 type (little and large bottles) that are multi shot with clips. Pretty damn fun to shoot if I do say so myself.

I shoot targets and whatnot. Cans, plastic bottles, etc. For home protection we dont have a gun here in Mexico...USA, si. Here in Mexico if you shoot someone, with a real gun, breaking into your house then you WILL go to jail. No question about it and no matter whose fault. Also the victims family will most likely come after you and do worse. Not a chance I would like to take.

PS- Just don't go walking around in your front yard with them....cops will come in a jiffy probably with their REAL guns drawn.

PS-2- Don't shoot your eye out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Wow, it sure did not take long for the PC police to form a gang around the OP for just mentioning the word "gun". The OP did not even mention personally owning a gun, liking guns, or wanting to have a gun in Mexico.
El Paso,

Thank you for your comment. I was not surprised that some people had to jump in and questions and criticize my question about gun ownership and target practice. They just can't seem to resist. So, for those that actually did answer my actual question, I thank you.

The ability to defend ones self is a God given right, not a government gifted right. I think this no matter the geography. Governments take away rights that God has given and criminals are quite pleased about that as it makes it easy for them to do their dirty work. Insofar as "typical American" thinking, I would refrain from making snap judgments about someone about whom absolutely nothing is known.

Without guns, the US would never have come into existence. We would still be under thumb of the English monarchy. This is the purpose of the Second Amendment, to protect against a tyrannical government as governments, without fail, throughout history will abuse their power, and take away all methods of resistance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mexican laws DO NOT prevent people from having weapons for defense; you may have them , registered, up to a certain caliber, up to a certain number, and not take them out of your home.
If you hunt, there are permits for you to move them to the hunting places.

Once again, different laws; you may not carry them in a gun rack on your pick up

Hunting is by no means as popular as it is in the US

Target shooting you can practice with air rifles, or in shooting ranges, but they are not very many here
As I understand it, it is a bureaucratic nightmare having to justify you desire to have a gun. Thank you as well for taking the time to actually address my question instead of criticizing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hmm, not sure I understand this. You make a statement about Texans having guns and people “having weapons to defend themselves”, then ask a question. Some people choose to comment on your statement and give their personal views on firearms.

You return a few days later, have a dig at those who made comments rather than answering your question, and then proceed to give us your own thoughts on people defending themselves with weapons (along with a self serving, and in my opinion rather silly, account of USA history.)

Tigerfox, if you throw a controversial subject out there on a public discussion board, you are going to generate discussion, even if you tack a question on the end. That’s the way discussion boards work.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.