Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know I have seen threads on this, but I am having trouble locating the information I need.

I have my passport with my French visa. My wife is French and returning to France with me.

I am shipping several large boxes DHL via a shipper, but I also am finding USPS looks even cheaper (18x18x18 box weighing 30 lbs = $103).

What do I need to do to make sure this is mailed tax and duty free? I know the shipper told me his quote included everything but taxes and duties.

From what I understand with my wife being a returning French citizen, she gets to ship items tax and duty free. But she tells me she needs to know the exact day we are going to ship to tell the consulate, but we will probably be shipping on different dates. But she also seems to have great difficulty getting things from the consulate office.

Anyone know for sure how I can safely ship tax and duty free?

Thanks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Don't know answers re tax and duty, but USPS flat rate to France is $62.50 for a box 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2 weight up to 20 lbs which is pretty reasonable. I have shipped to France via this method, it is good for last minute small things as it is about a week. You can pick up the customs form at the postoffice and see what it says.

·
Registered
358 Posts
As I moved for work, I shipped my items as air cargo via shipper excluding any expenses in france.
I had to pay handling fees in the cargoport then I took my documents to duaine(customs) and they checked that I am moving to france and no taxes were due.

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
Be very sure to indicate on the customs forms for the shipment that what you are shipping is "household goods" and that you are shipping them in connection with a move to France.

Make sure the shipper understands this. DHL, for example, simply clears a whole load of shipments through customs, pays the VAT and duties and then expects you to reimburse them on delivery. They probably have a way of excluding boxes from this process, but you have to ask them how to do it properly.

Or, try contacting one of those "mail box" stores that ships stuff for you. They generally know their way around the customs forms pretty well.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,306 Posts
i know I have seen threads on this, but I am having trouble locating the information I need. ...I am shipping several large boxes DHL via a shipper, but I also am finding USPS looks even cheaper (18x18x18 box weighing 30 lbs = $103).

What do I need to do to make sure this is mailed tax and duty free? I know the shipper told me his quote included everything but taxes and duties.

From what I understand with my wife being a returning French citizen, she gets to ship items tax and duty free. But she tells me she needs to know the exact day we are going to ship to tell the consulate, but we will probably be shipping on different dates. But she also seems to have great difficulty getting things from the consulate office.

Anyone know for sure how I can safely ship tax and duty free?...
Ken

We had our things moved by a professional moving company in the US. They, in turn, handed the shipment off to an international mover for the going across the ocean part, and in turn to a French mover for the delivery to our village. Unfortunately, our mover forgot to send our 10 - 12' Persian rug, which had to be shipped after the fact by DHL.

The International Mover provided detailed forms for us to fill out. The first asserted that we were moving to France permanently and we had to provide information from our Visa, a scan of the Visa, etc. On the second form, we provided a detailed list of each item in the shipment including the approximate date purchased and the value in Dollars & Euro.

As long as you are permanently moving to France and you have a long-stay visa, your goods will not be taxed nor will you have to pay customs feses for the year following your relocation UNLESS (1) your goods are newer than 6 months old or (2) someone makes a mistake.

We paid a minor fee for the customs search of our goods with the movers and the shipment was beautifully managed. Nothing broken, etc.

When our US mover shipped the rug they'd forgotten via DHL, it was a different story. After we discovered the rug hadn't been shipped, I told our mover they only had 12 months. I also let them know that there were forms to be filled out and sent them the blank forms we'd filled out with the International Movers. They tried to get the International Movers to take some of the responsibility (which was declined) and in the end, they shipped and paid for shipping via DHL (not cheap!)

When the rug arrived, DHL requested payment of almost $2,800 in customs fees. I declined to pay. I tried to get the mover to get DHL to file the appropriate papers so no customs fees would be due. DHL declined and said they'd already paid the duty. DHL put me into a collection process (which is a much more serious thing in France than the US) and finally, our mover agreed to pay the fee. Our US mover has an enormous amount of integrity.

Moral of the Story: Be careful shipping your goods to France. If whomever ships your goods hasn't requested detailed information about your long stay visa and provided you with a blank form on which to list every single item you're shipping, the year it was purchased, and the value in Dollars and Euro, don't ship with that shipper unless the value of your goods is so low that a 27% duty won't put a crimp into your budget.

Best of luck.

Ray

1 - 5 of 5 Posts