Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I plan to relocate to the UK in August.

Are we better off taking as many of our current possessions as possible and paying the associated freight charges...or, are we better off by taking only the essentials, and then buying anew on the other side?

I am curious what others have done. I am also curious what shipping methods and typical costs others may have encountered?

Thanks.

·
Registered
533 Posts
platplaas said:

Are we better off taking as many of our current possessions as possible and paying the associated freight charges...or, are we better off by taking only the essentials, and then buying anew on the other side?

I am curious what others have done. I am also curious what shipping methods and typical costs others may have encountered?

Thanks.
It depends really. Since I just moved here to be with my husband and he already had the house and furniture I just brought over my clothes of course I took 4 large suitcases and had them stuffed. I was only allowed one suitcase free so the other 3 cost around $500.

There are several post on here with really good information on shipping and using freight. Just type in search box for shipping or moving or using freight. I know one person talked about size because she had a huge house with lots of furniture but remember houses are smaller here.
Theres no way some of my furniture would had even fit if i brought it over so i just had to get rod of it. Theres another one that talks about using a freight and the cost per square foot.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some own advice that shipped their belongings over that can give you a better idea. But you can take a look at the other post I recommended in the mean time and that might help. It's still early here and its easter weekend so give it a bit.

·
Registered
756 Posts

Thanks.
It was very costly to ship our things over but my husbands contract would pay to ship anything we wanted but not pay for replacing anything. We did end up buy a lot when we arrived anyway because a lot of things would not fit or work here. Personally if we had been given a choice I would have only shipped my clothes, books and anything with sentimental value and bought the rest new when we arrived.

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts
It was very costly to ship our things over but my husbands contract would pay to ship anything we wanted but not pay for replacing anything. We did end up buy a lot when we arrived anyway because a lot of things would not fit or work here. Personally if we had been given a choice I would have only shipped my clothes, books and anything with sentimental value and bought the rest new when we arrived.
Agreed... I brought my rice cooker (it's an east Asian thing) but ended up killing it the first time I plugged her in, as she didn't like the UK voltage in spite of my use of a step down transformer.

Definitely bring your old photos... pack them in a water proof bag or container to guard against damage from damp).

In regards to books - if they're rare or sentimental copies (i.e. I have a copy of Anne of Green Gables that my Mom gave to me when I was 9 years old that I still have) then either put them into storage or bring with you, If they're newer not so cherished titles, you can always give them away before you leave and replace them as needed once you get here from Amazon.co.uk and often at a lower price than what you'd pay in Canada (before I left Vancouver, Ed brought me book 2 and book 3 of The Hunger Games from the UK as their total cost was less than the cost of one book from Chapters, even with their irewards card discount... granted they were paperback copies and only hardcover were available at the time... I thought about asking him to bring books 2 and 3 from the 50 Shades of Grey series, but just couldn't bring myself to ask him to make that purchase... also couldn't consciously admit that I read that dreck)... older and out of print titles can often be found at AbeBooks for astoundingly low prices... have bought a few titles from there (one I'd not seen in print since the mid 1980's).

·
Registered
3,808 Posts

Thanks.
We moved from California to France and shipped almost everything - cost was close to $18,000 US for a shipment of 11,000 lbs - almost a container full.

Rooms in the UK are much smaller than in North America, so be careful on what you bring furniture wise. Major appliances are not worth it, smaller appliances are OK IF you buy the right transformers (oversize by 100%) - check out this website Region Free DVD Players, MultiSystem LCD TVs, Region Free DVD Recorders, Multi-System Plasma TV, multi-system TVs, PAL LCD TV, PAL TV, Step Down transformer, Step up transformer, Chicago and also look at the TV options, unless your TV is multi-system it will NOT work in the UK. Make sure you have a region free DVD player otherwise one bought in the UK will not play DVDs bought in North America.

In hindsight we should have downsized significantly before we moved, especially now as we are planning to move to the UK and we have way too much stuff!

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts
With whom are you flying over? Air Canada offers 1 23kg checked bag per person and the 2nd bag was like CAD 75$ or so... Ed came over to take me home, so I told him to pack light because I wanted his bag allowance and I had a third bag that I happily paid the excess bag fee... it was cheaper than sending via Postes Canada surface (less than 10kg cost over CAD 80$).

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'm shipping some things, like a coffee table I love and my kitchenwares, but leaving most of it here (i.e. giving it away.) The cost to ship was $5600.

I'm leaving behind anything with a plug. I'm giving away or selling my stuff. The only thing I'm truly going to miss is my Kitchenaid mixer. I love that thing. But I'll buy a new one in England.

I'm using M Bags to send some books. I have hundreds of them and won't take them. The ones I don't take, I'm giving away.

Our plan is for my fiancé to come to the US to take me back, and we'll buy some new luggage to fit all my clothes and shoes ( ! ) and toiletries into, pay the excess baggage fee, and then buy everything else new.

So far he's bought a new house, sofa, and tv. We have a way to go. He gets here in 24 days to take me back so hopefully the house will be in order by then.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I'm shipping some things, like a coffee table I love and my kitchenwares, but leaving most of it here (i.e. giving it away.) The cost to ship was $5600.

I'm leaving behind anything with a plug. I'm giving away or selling my stuff. The only thing I'm truly going to miss is my Kitchenaid mixer. I love that thing. But I'll buy a new one in England.

I'm using M Bags to send some books. I have hundreds of them and won't take them. The ones I don't take, I'm giving away.

Our plan is for my fiancé to come to the US to take me back, and we'll buy some new luggage to fit all my clothes and shoes ( ! ) and toiletries into, pay the excess baggage fee, and then buy everything else new.

So far he's bought a new house, sofa, and tv. We have a way to go. He gets here in 24 days to take me back so hopefully the house will be in order by then.

When you say giving away I hope you mean 'donating to charity' - that way you will be able to claim the credit against next years US tax filing. We did that and got almost $5000 in credits.

If you can get the proper voltage regulating transformers (either there or in the UK) you can bring small stuff like your Kitchen Aid and use it normally. We did it the other way, took our MagiMix to California and we still have it here in France 22 years later.

Price of a new one in the UK is KitchenAid Artisan KSM150BAC Stand Mixer, Cream: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Cost of the transformer is: 2000 Watt Step UP and Down Voltage Transformer/Regulator

Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback.

I've been contacting some local shipping companies and am thinking we'll send about 6 boxes with some odds and ends like cutlery and clothing by sea.

With Air Canada (I have yet to check other airlines) it appears they charge $70 for the second bag and $225 for each bag thereafter, so I suspect the shipping option will work out better, and also won't have the 70lb limit for the bags...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.