Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question... filling out our declaration form ahead of our shipping next month.

It asks you to list items you've owned for less than 12 months, so I've started listing key items - particularly where that item is still in it's packaging

Have a few questions if anyone has any knowledge in the area...

a) Do they treat gifts any different (eg, Christmas presents the kids received)
b) Can you 'bulk' list items - ie, list 'clothes' with an approximate value of $x?
c) Is there generally a cap below which they won't charge gst/duty? It simply states items will be 'assessed'. If there's a rough point below which we're unlikely to get a charge, we can look to sell off anything that might take us well over that - not that I think there will be, but be good to know - I've listed approx $1000 worth so far - most of which I can provide receipts for (except the 'bulk' stuff like clothes , books & gifts etc)
d) It asks if we have any items made from plant, including wood. (excl furniture, as this is covered later). We have a selection of wooden ornaments, and picture frames - is this the type of thing they're interested in? They're all 'shop-bought' & varnished etc, but is this where we should list them out?
e) I know wicker is generally a no-go. We do have a picnic hamper that was bought for us. It's painted wicker - is this going to make it any more likely to be allowed, or is it not even worth trying? (We're happy to take the risk if there's a decent chance, but if there's no way they'll allow it, we'll leave it behind - it's an anniversary present given to us, so would like to take it.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quick question... filling out our declaration form ahead of our shipping next month.

It asks you to list items you've owned for less than 12 months, so I've started listing key items - particularly where that item is still in it's packaging

Have a few questions if anyone has any knowledge in the area...

a) Do they treat gifts any different (eg, Christmas presents the kids received)
b) Can you 'bulk' list items - ie, list 'clothes' with an approximate value of $x?
c) Is there generally a cap below which they won't charge gst/duty? It simply states items will be 'assessed'. If there's a rough point below which we're unlikely to get a charge, we can look to sell off anything that might take us well over that - not that I think there will be, but be good to know - I've listed approx $1000 worth so far - most of which I can provide receipts for (except the 'bulk' stuff like clothes , books & gifts etc)
d) It asks if we have any items made from plant, including wood. (excl furniture, as this is covered later). We have a selection of wooden ornaments, and picture frames - is this the type of thing they're interested in? They're all 'shop-bought' & varnished etc, but is this where we should list them out?
e) I know wicker is generally a no-go. We do have a picnic hamper that was bought for us. It's painted wicker - is this going to make it any more likely to be allowed, or is it not even worth trying? (We're happy to take the risk if there's a decent chance, but if there's no way they'll allow it, we'll leave it behind - it's an anniversary present given to us, so would like to take it.

Thank you :)
If your a permanent resident moving to Australia for the first time (after your residency is approved) then there is an allowance by the border department to ship all your personal belongings without any duty. However, if this is not the case then, the customs officers will allow goods worth up to $900.

If your goods are less than 12 months old, then they have higher value and their value is estimated at the purchase value (or RRP) itself. Older items may be considered at lower or zero value depending on the salvage value within Australia. You ideally would want the officer to assess your goods at as much lower value as possible. A thumb of rule would be asking "how much (easily) would you be able to sell each of the items you are listing on gumtree?" Some of your goods like branded tv, electronics etc will be assessed of more value while clothes, stuffed toys, kitchen appliances will have a lower value (to zero value).
Australia is strict (and sometimes paranoid) about any biological/organic things brought into Australia. In wodden furniture, food items, items that may have soil contact etc they are more interested in seeing if there are any insects that are hiding in there which can spread to the local. ecology. So there is no need to worry about value assessed.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
If your a permanent resident moving to Australia for the first time (after your residency is approved) then there is an allowance by the border department to ship all your personal belongings without any duty. However, if this is not the case then, the customs officers will allow goods worth up to $900.

If your goods are less than 12 months old, then they have higher value and their value is estimated at the purchase value (or RRP) itself. Older items may be considered at lower or zero value depending on the salvage value within Australia. You ideally would want the officer to assess your goods at as much lower value as possible. A thumb of rule would be asking "how much (easily) would you be able to sell each of the items you are listing on gumtree?" Some of your goods like branded tv, electronics etc will be assessed of more value while clothes, stuffed toys, kitchen appliances will have a lower value (to zero value).
Australia is strict (and sometimes paranoid) about any biological/organic things brought into Australia. In wodden furniture, food items, items that may have soil contact etc they are more interested in seeing if there are any insects that are hiding in there which can spread to the local. ecology. So there is no need to worry about value assessed.
Hope this helps.
They seem pretty strict on the DIBP site regarding the 12 month requirement, even for PR moves. It seems crazy that they would look to charge on the kids Christmas presents, clothes, kitchen basics just because we got them 10 months before we move. Am I right to understand that they are looking for boxed/new items that are clearly intended for resell rather than use? What should be declared? Everything less than 12 months old? That will be the entire wardrobe of my fast growing kids as well as a ton of other stuff. Anyone have experience?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks sten.gropehn, that does help

The point that FFacs raises though is pretty much where my mind is at though on the 'list stuff you've owned for less than 12 months' requirement though - where to draw the line.

I have a few items which are still new & in their packaging - I've listed these, and have paperwork to backup the value. I have other new items which I've had for more than 12 months which I've not listed, but in some cases have the paperwork to show when they were purchased (but not all).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am sure that unless the officer strongly believes that you are trying to get your article into the country to resell and make a profit, everything should pass without a hassle. So why not open the factory seal before you ship so that it looks as if you are just getting the stuff you have been using in the UK over to here.
But that quarantine thing is a bit strict. As I told you they made a national issue out of Johnny Depp's two benign, cute dogs. So unless you really have a reason (sentimental or real value) do not get anything that can get to them. Happy journey and all the best mate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.