Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Again I have questions. As I plan and prepare for our move to the UK I need recommendations for shipping companies from the US to the UK.

We don't plan to bring very much, mainly sentimental items such as my mothers dining room set and my grandmothers hutch.

The remainder I will purchase over in the UK.

Can you all recommend some movers in the US you have used to ship your stuff?

THANKS!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hello All,

Again I have questions. As I plan and prepare for our move to the UK I need recommendations for shipping companies from the US to the UK.

We don't plan to bring very much, mainly sentimental items such as my mothers dining room set and my grandmothers hutch.

The remainder I will purchase over in the UK.

Can you all recommend some movers in the US you have used to ship your stuff?

THANKS!
I'm waiting to ship my boxes over until we can save up enough money after all the expenses from the wedding, visa, etc. I don't have any furniture and only about 30 boxes or so, all on one pallet. I'm still looking for a company myself.

What I want to share, is the caution that living conditions here are SO different from the US. The buildings are small, rooms are small (the "larger" bedrooms are scaled to fit a double bed - queen is almost non-existent), and flats are often multistory with no lifts. If your pieces are large scale, you're going to have problems. It is very difficult to part with family pieces - I down-sized significantly before I left. If you are financially able to rent or buy a detached home, it is more possible that your furniture might fit, but those types of properties are quite expensive.

Just some perspective for you to take into account. Good luck with your move.

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I've lived there before but had no need to ship furniture last time. :) Not bringing any beds or sofa's. Most of that I will purchase when I'm there.

My items will fit in any house.

Appreciate the insight though! Congrats on the wedding! :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Our stuff just cleared customs, so should be here within the week. We got a lower quote, but have to be careful because they had some serious extra charges and were inconsistent about processing payments which could incur the charges.

I'll have more to say when we get it in.
M

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
We used Bekins. The branch we used was South Florida abut I believe they are nationwide. Their representative came and priced up the job including packing, collection, taking in to storage for almost a year, shipping to Spain and delivering to the door. The all inclusive cost was about $3,500.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.