Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I don't want to start my query with confusion but it may make a difference to your answers! My husband and I have dual citizen ship (UK & NZ) We have family in Aus. and would like to retire there rather than our earlier plan of moving back to NZ. Is it worth shipping the best of our furniture and new car (not fully paid off yet!). We plan to move to Gold Coast area (?houseboating?) and as retirees will not have the cash flow of our current dual incomes. We understand our living style will change dramatically but quality of life does not necessarily equate with disposable income, (hopefully) Thanks for your opinions, Magdaline :confused:

S

·
0 Posts
You want to look at your contract, you may not be allowed to ship your car if not fully paid off! But that said it's usually not really worth it and you'd have to pay a ton of fees in Aus to do so. Having to pay GST if the car is under a year old.

Furniture, depends on how good it is really. You need to weigh up the costs of shipping versus the cost of buying new. We are leaving most of our furniture as it just isn't cost effective. Not that the furniture we are leaving is rubbish or cheap but that the cost of shipping, customs fees, possible storage etc would far outweigh the cost of buying new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You want to look at your contract, you may not be allowed to ship your car if not fully paid off! But that said it's usually not really worth it and you'd have to pay a ton of fees in Aus to do so. Having to pay GST if the car is under a year old.

Furniture, depends on how good it is really. You need to weigh up the costs of shipping versus the cost of buying new. We are leaving most of our furniture as it just isn't cost effective. Not that the furniture we are leaving is rubbish or cheap but that the cost of shipping, customs fees, possible storage etc would far outweigh the cost of buying new.
Many thanks for quick reply. Our car will be paid off (Its on an interest free loan) and our bed is £3000 worth of orthopaedic delight so I guess, as you've said it's all depends! I need to get hold of some "quotes"...so much to do! I shall follow your progress, thanks again. Magdaline

1 - 3 of 3 Posts