Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on shipping my belongings to the US. I have a storage shed in Melbourne full of clothing books and flat packed furniture that I would like to ship to my new home. My husband and I have to pay for it ourselves so Im looking for the most inexpensive and reliable way to do this. I would love to hear any advice from people who have already made a move like this.

Thanks,
Sarah

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Sarah,
I've only just joined this forum, so I'm not sure if you have already moved or still in the process of moving, but my wife and I moved to Oklahoma City in September from Melbourne and went through a mob called King and Wilson in Glen Waverley. We shipped 8 boxes of personal possessions and a TV, which cost us just on $3300 AUD. They were pretty good at the Australian end but we had a bit of a run around at the USA end getting our belongings. We sent it airfreight which was the quicker option as opposed to sea-freight which could take 2-3 months to arrive.

Don't waste your time with the likes of UPS or DHL.....the UPS call centre people told us over the phone we could palletise our stuff and drop it off, and when we got there they told us it couldn't be done with personal belongings,and had to be shipped individually, and the price went from $1800 to $4000.

Good luck with the move

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you already packed the things in boxes? I have encountered a service called UPakWeShip, and was pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive it turned out to be. As previously mentioned as well, the big shippers can take care of it for you, but you'd have to shell out around 20% or more compared to other less known services. For what I suggested, they have a website which can give you a free quote on how much it would take for you to ship with them. Just make sure to properly identify and explain what exactly it is you are shipping. They also have a weight limit for each box being shipped [around 50 lbs or so].

1 - 3 of 3 Posts