Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. Has anyone here shipped a package to Mexico or had a friend ship them a package while they are in Mexico? And if so, is there any issue with it? I'm located in playa del carmen.

I need a friend to ship me a package of contact lenses, vitamins, face creams etc. I will buy it online via amazon and have it shipped to his house back in the us. Then he would ship that along with my contacts to me. The thing is there are no mailboxes here so i believe he will have to ship it to the actual post office in playa del carmen for them to hold right? I know someone here who had used UPS and had someone ship him something to the post office here in playa del carmen and he then went and picked it up himself but it was very expensive due to that package being very big etc. He recommended it.

I heard doing usps or fedex is not good idea because many people either don't get the package or they have no clue where it is and best option is UPS or DHL. Can someone here attest to this being true if you have someone shipping a package from the us to here?

Does anyone know about how much it would cost to ship a package here? The package will probably be medium size... its contact lenses, some creams and vitamins. All these creams/vitamins are purchased from amazon... they are not expensive creams but i would have about 10 of theses vitamins/creams combined total though. I cannot get these items here so thats why. Im guessing it will be minimum $100 to $200? And how many ways is there to ship it? I guess the faster way probably isn't that much more than the regular way?

But most importantly, would there be issues at customs? I read online that people have issues with shipping vitamins and the package might get stopped at customs? Is this true? I assume there should be no issue with contact lenses right? I cannot get the brand here. What about facial creams etc? These are like 10 dollars and under for each of these creams and wondering if there would be any issue there.

Also does anyone know if i have to pay a lot in custom fees? I dont have any electronics etc. And I believe when my friend goes to UPS or DHL, he has to tell them what the declared value is worth? Its about a few hundred dollars total. But im not sure if i should go with UPS or DHL. But the other thing is of course im not sure if there would be any issues and then my package would be stuck in customs because they are vitamins etc.

Has anyone had someone ship them a package from the US and can tell me their experience? And what exactly did they get shipped to here? Thanks.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I quickly read your post.

My wife has had her contacts shipped directly to the house in Mexico from some company like LensDirect.com or such (in Columbus Ohio). But - we have since done the math and when Costco has a sale on (here in Mexico) they are cheaper for the exact same lens.

Probably once a month (or so) I place an order with Amazon (in the US) and have it delivered to Mexico. If you have a Mexican address registered with them - they will tell you up front what shipping costs/duties will be - or if they will not ship the item to Mexico. (Vitamins seems iffy to me). Often if you spend $65 US with them shipping is free. I have received shipments as quickly as 3 days.

I think our Mexican PO box costs us about 100 pesos/year. The first couple of years we had a friend collect our US mail and forward it to us. To be honest - that can be a rather pricey thing (as much as $70 US).

In five years we have almost always received whatever we were expecting. Well - I tried to order black tea from the US and they wouldn't let that in via customs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there. But could your wife get the same exact contact lenses where she is located? The thing is if i could get the contact lenses brand here, i would have no issue with it. But they do not have it here. The same with those vitamins and face creams etc.

Well the thing is where im located at, no one here has a mail box pretty much. Thus it has to be sent to either UPS or DHL office and you go pick them up etc. Im curious but is in the package that you send to your wife?

Well what happens if you have stuff in the package that are okay but then there is something they dont allow in? Do they send the item back to the us or it just stays in customs etc?

The thing is vitamins is where i read it might be a bit iffy like you mention. However what about the contact lenses or face creams etc? Those specific products... i cannot get here etc.

So i like to know if anyone here has experience with this at all with vitamins. But most importantly i want to know about face creams. Like imagine a neutrogena cleanser or a mask etc. Or like a foot cream etc.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hi there. But could your wife get the same exact contact lenses where she is located? The thing is if i could get the contact lenses brand here, i would have no issue with it. But they do not have it here. The same with those vitamins and face creams etc.

Well the thing is where im located at, no one here has a mail box pretty much. Thus it has to be sent to either UPS or DHL office and you go pick them up etc. Im curious but is in the package that you send to your wife?

Well what happens if you have stuff in the package that are okay but then there is something they dont allow in? Do they send the item back to the us or it just stays in customs etc?

The thing is vitamins is where i read it might be a bit iffy like you mention. However what about the contact lenses or face creams etc? Those specific products... i cannot get here etc.

So i like to know if anyone here has experience with this at all with vitamins. But most importantly i want to know about face creams. Like imagine a neutrogena cleanser or a mask etc. Or like a foot cream etc.

Thanks all.
Have you had a look at the Amazon web-site ? Will they ship what you want to Mexico ?

You can find Neutrogena products at Walmart Mexico.

Have you done a google search on Mexpost Playa del Carmen ? Correos de Mexico offers PO boxes there.

You (as a little person) want to avoid DHL and UPS and Fedex - or you will pay through the nose.

Have you lived in Mexico long ?

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,054 Posts

Has anyone had someone ship them a package from the US and can tell me their experience? And what exactly did they get shipped to here? Thanks.
I have had people ship stuff to me here lots of times. A few times it has been valuable, like a debit card, and they used FedEx. Other times it has been just a box of stuff, and they just took it to a US Post Office. The last box contained one sock that I forgot and a Polar wrist watch that was being passed on to me. My daughter sends me a calendar from Europe every year by regular Deutsche Post. She usually throws in a package of cookies as well. With FedEx, packages arrive in a day or two. With regular Postal service it takes a month or two. But it always arrives. The packages have clearly been opened and resealed before they arrive, but nothing has been missing.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Multiple items seem to raise a red flag at customs inspection. So lots of one product would probably result in the package being refused entry on suspicion of re-sale intentions without an import license.
I agree that you should learn to live in Mexico with what is readily available in Mexico, ie: find substitutes for your old favorite brands. That, and the use of Amazon, either US or MX, will make life a lot easier.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there. None of the products are available there. If it was, then i would just buy it off of there.

I been in Mexico for a bit but i never had anyone ship something directly to me. I have had people who come here for a short trip and was able to mule some items down for me which i appreciate. But it was usually very few items. However this time, its many more items but all these items.. vitamins, facial creams are not that big etc.

I googled Mexpost Playa del Carmen. The ratings are very bad low for this and i definitely would not want do this.

How much would it cost to ship a medium size package via DHL or UPS? I figure that was pretty much my best option because i need to get these items. Im guessing it could cost up to 200 dollars or something ridiculous like that?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had people ship stuff to me here lots of times. A few times it has been valuable, like a debit card, and they used FedEx. Other times it has been just a box of stuff, and they just took it to a US Post Office. The last box contained one sock that I forgot and a Polar wrist watch that was being passed on to me. My daughter sends me a calendar from Europe every year by regular Deutsche Post. She usually throws in a package of cookies as well. With FedEx, packages arrive in a day or two. With regular Postal service it takes a month or two. But it always arrives. The packages have clearly been opened and resealed before they arrive, but nothing has been missing.
Hey there... what do you mean by a bag of stuff? I thought a box of cookies would be very surprising etc.

Okay so you say the packages have cleared been opened and resealed. Well wouldnt that mean there is a very good chance they open my creams etc? One of the creams that im getting is actually a hygiene product so now im not sure if i would want to order that now because of it. But other items like a lotion etc is not big deal since im using it on my face etc.

Do you think they would open up my vitamins up? Because i obviously wouldnt want that opened if you know what i mean.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Multiple items seem to raise a red flag at customs inspection. So lots of one product would probably result in the package being refused entry on suspicion of re-sale intentions without an import license.
I agree that you should learn to live in Mexico with what is readily available in Mexico, ie: find substitutes for your old favorite brands. That, and the use of Amazon, either US or MX, will make life a lot easier.

Hi there. Well i was going to get 3 facial items where each of these items were 2 of the same, 2 of the same and 3 of the same. There is really no substitutes for these items and the last item, its actually a face cream for spots on the face. I cannot get this item anywhere here. And the vitamins, they do not have this vitamin here which is another issue of mine.

When you say multiple items, do you mean multiple items in general or do you mean multiple items of the same item? Because i have several items that would be 2 of the same and another one would be like i mentioned 3 of them because i use each of these creams pretty quickly etc.

I mean i could understand if someone is ordering like 24 items of the same thing but would this really make it likely i cannot receive my items? Also if it get refused at customs, what will happen to my package? Will it get sent back? Will it just stay there? I will have to pay money to get it sent back or something? This is getting pretty frustrating as i thought at first... well i probably have to pay 150 dollars to have my friend ship these items via UPS etc but if it gets refused, then i dont know what to do etc.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Oh well. It will be amazingly expensive, and you may or may not get your stuff.
If you cannot satisfy yourself with what is available in Mexico, locally or online, go for it and let us know what happened......or didn‘t.
If you have your prescription, you can get contacts.
Creams and lotions are readily available; just ask around locally.
Vitamins are less common in Mexico, since the food is so fantastically healthy. If you find them: $$$$$$

Multiple items of the same thing will raise a red flag. Packages held at customs are generally returned after a certain period of time, if you do not appear with the required import license, etc. A propar customs declaration by the shipper is required. Medical items/equipment are often refused, as they are available in Mexico.

If you are new to Mexico, please be patient and talk to others to get their advice. Being dependent upon being able to get routine supplies from the USA can be both expensive and is probably unnecessary; even if you feel devoted to a particular product. Perhaps a consultation with an estetica or dermatologo would reveal the proper remedies for your needs.

Are you able to do effective searches in Spanish, either reading labels, or online?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have no personal experience with shipping to Mexico, but the people who run a commercial mail forwarding service that I subscribe to say fedex is what they always use to Mexico. That would be for forwarding things like important mail. I think it costs about $75 for a typical fedex cardboard envelope mailer.

DHL is supposed to specialize in international package delivery, that's supposedly their special expertise, so I'd probably try them next.

If you see an office near your home for fedex or DHL or UPS I'd visit the office and discuss it with them. The least reliable part of the whole thing is the part where the local delivery agent finds your address. So if you pre-discuss your address with the shipper and find out what they need to identify it, I think you've got an advantage.

They may also recommend you have the package addressed to their office, care of you, and that you pick it up from them - but I think that would only be better if they seem to be utterly unable to figure out where your address is.

I haven't had a package delivered, by I had my mom send me a card in the mail to see if it would arrive. It did, 5 weeks after she sent it "airmail".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you cannot satisfy yourself with what is available in Mexico, locally or online, go for it and let us know what happened......or didn‘t.
Vitamins are less common in Mexico, since the food is so fantastically healthy. If you find them: $$$$$$

Multiple items of the same thing will raise a red flag. Packages held at customs are generally returned after a certain period of time, if you do not appear with the required import license, etc. A propar customs declaration by the shipper is required. Medical items/equipment are often refused, as they are available in Mexico.

If you are new to Mexico, please be patient and talk to others to get their advice. Being dependent upon being able to get routine supplies from the USA can be both expensive and is probably unnecessary; even if you feel devoted to a particular product. Perhaps a consultation with an estetica or dermatologo would reveal the proper remedies for your needs.

Are you able to do effective searches in Spanish, either reading labels, or online?

Hi there. I use a certain contact brand that they do now have it. Theres the thing. About the creams and lotions, there isn't those lotions if im looking for. I actually went to a skin doctor not that long ago and i told him i use this product which works very well and he said its not available here i mexico etc. There are vitamins here i saw but the thing it isn't the vitamins i want etc. Thus certain vitamins they do not hae.

When you say medical items/equipment are refused, what do you mean by that exactly?

This is what i need to get

https://www.amazon.com/Adult-Acnome...8&qid=1502493333&sr=8-1&keywords=acnomel&th=1

Would something like this get rejected at customs? I want to get a few of these.

I been here for a bit. No i do not speak spanish or understand spanish etc...

I called a UPS store back in the US on this. I asked them if i had a friend ship a package would that be fine. One place told me its fine but very expensive. Such as 200 dollars if its a medium package but it takes a few days only. He said there is only 2 and 3 day shipping etc. Said lowest cost is 3 day shipping on a tiny box which would be 100 dollars. My box would be either small or medium.. but im leaning towards small now. I asked him would here be issues shipping those items i mentioned such as contact lenses, vitamins and face creams. He told me my friend will need to declare the items and cost of the items. He then said they would be able to check if each item is okay by checking each item individually. And said if it does, then when it gets sent, those items will 100 percent get sent to the UPS store here. He did say make sure none of the products mention Made in China otherwise that would not work. Does anyone know if this is true or not? The guy i spoke to on the phone seem very knowledgeable about this.

I asked him how do i know how much custom fees i pay... he said when i go pick it up at the UPS office etc. He did say if it get rejected at customs, it will either stay there... or they would call UPS and tell how much it would cost to ship the package back to them etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey there. Well the thing is this package would be shipped to either the UPS or DHL location here in Mexico. Thus i would go and pick it up once i get notification it is here.

My issue is im not sure if those items im sending will have an issue. Thus if i know i could ship the contact lenses, vitamins and face creams without any issue, then i would just tell my friend to ship it via UPS or DHL even though it would cost like 200 dollars etc.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Have you considered driving to Texas every several months? Do your shopping, get new contacts and then drive back. It might even be less expensive & maybe less complicated for you.
We managed, without distress, to live in Mexico for over 13 years, and never had a single thing shipped from the USA, nor did we go shopping in the USA. We found all of our needs in Mexico, especially after we learned to read labels and search online in Spanish.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My issue is im not sure if those items im sending will have an issue. Thus if i know i could ship the contact lenses, vitamins and face creams without any issue, then i would just tell my friend to ship it via UPS or DHL even though it would cost like 200 dollars etc.
If you were willing to name the products that you want perhaps the people on this board could tell you where to find them in Mexico. The Acnomel that you are looking for is listed on Mercado Libre (think of Ebay) as are many vitamins. I am not trying to push you toward Mercado Libre but merely pointing out that the product is available from within Mexico.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you considered driving to Texas every several months? Do your shopping, get new contacts and then drive back. It might even be less expensive & maybe less complicated for you.
We managed, without distress, to live in Mexico for over 13 years, and never had a single thing shipped from the USA, nor did we go shopping in the USA. We found all of our needs in Mexico, especially after we learned to read labels and search online in Spanish.

Hi there, im not located in that part of mexico where you could drive to texas.

Yes i searched online but there is nothing i could really find that is related to the things i want to get.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you were willing to name the products that you want perhaps the people on this board could tell you where to find them in Mexico. The Acnomel that you are looking for is listed on Mercado Libre (think of Ebay) as are many vitamins. I am not trying to push you toward Mercado Libre but merely pointing out that the product is available from within Mexico.

Hi there. I actually saw that acnomel you listed on mercado libre. Is that the mexico version of ebay or argentina?

I saw the product and that person sells it for like 600 pesos or so... which is bit over 30 dollars etc. So its like 3x the amount it would cost in the us but thats no big deal.
The product shows that its in monterroy, mexico.

So i would create an account there, then pay via oxxo... then they sent the product to me? Has anyone here used mercado libre and if so, is it pretty simple? Also what address would i put when i register? Im translating the registration page in google and it ask for my name and address. But my address here in mexico... we have no mailbox here. So how would i go do this thing then? Does anyone know what shipping carrier they use? Im assuming the cheapest/slowest one. Could they ship it to a pakmail where im located at then i go and pick it up? I heard ppl here use pakmail as well but i dont know that much about it. Obviously they are not going to ship via dhl or ups where i go and pick it up there. Can someone tell me how i can do this? Also does anyone know how long it would take to receive this product? Because if i could get this product for under 600 pesos, that would be great. But most importantly im curious how long it would take to receive it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Mercado Libre is all over Mexico, Central and South America. Make sure you are on the Mexico Mercado Libre pages for starters. You don't want to order something that has to come from Argentina.
My experience with them was ordering a part for my washing machine. Once I got all registered with Mercado Libre, which was easy, I had a Mexican friend phone the guy who was advertising the part. Altho I do speak Spanish, it is not so fluent to follow when people talk fast on the phone.
The phone call satisfied me that the guy was legit and that what he had was what I needed. I paid into his account at OXO, then scanned him a copy of the receipt. Not all sellers do it like this.
It was shipped via Estafeta, a well-known Mexican shipping company from Mazatlan and the package arrived 3 days later in Sayulita. I had them ship it to a friend's place which is easy to find, as my place is out-of-town and next to impossible to find.
If you do not speak any Spanish, this whole process will be difficult for you. Hopefully you know a Spanish speaker who can help you out with it.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
When I check on the Amazon US website, it indicates it can ship the Acnomel to Canada, but when I change my country to Mexico it indicates it cannot ship it to Mexico. For me that is a huge red flag that if your friend ships it for you, it is at risk of not making it through customs and you risk losing both the product and what you paid for shipping.

In terms of a similar product in Mexico, the active ingredients are resorcinol and sulfur. Searching for resorcinol + crema + Mexico I found this pharmaceutical company which it appears actually makes Acnomel in Mexico (in Jiutepec, Morelos - essentially the southern end of the greater Cuernavaca area). Now the trick will be to find out where it is sold retail.
ACNOMEL - DARIER | PR Vademecum M?xico

If you can't find it retail in Mexico and it is three times more expensive through Mercado Libre (and that's just one of the products you are looking for), it may end up being more economical to find the cheapest spot to fly somewhere in the US, have Amazon ship it to a pickup spot there, fly in to get it and bring it back to Mexico yourself. If there is nowhere for Amazon to ship it at the most economical port of entry, Walmart.com has the same product at the same price, and Walmart will ship it to one of their stores for pickup. I don't know if Walmart would have the other products you want. Can Amazon send it to a pick-up spot for you rather than a home address?

·
Registered
700 Posts
When ordering something from the US, Amazon is my preferred method. BUT - sometimes when they will not ship to Mexico, I have a look at ebay. Sometimes they will ship it when Amazon will not. BUT - you have to be very careful that you check out the shipping costs. Sometimes an item will sell for $20 US and they want $45 US for international shipping (just an example). There is an alternative shipping method when dealing with ebay (exclusively). EstafetaMembers will let you create a shipping address in Laredo. You tell ebay to ship the item to your Laredo address. When it gets there Estafeta will send you an email saying what payment is due for shipping and duties. When payment is received they will clear the item through customs and then send it to your Mexican address. BUT - you have to be a little careful still. Some items can not be shipped into Mexico. So when I am thinking of going the route I am describing, I cut and past the URL for the item and shoot off an email to estafeta in Laredo and ask if it can be imported and what the costs will be. Last year I just took a chance and purchased black tea bags (let's say $7 US) on ebay. The seller shipped it to Laredo for free but estafeta said it would not clear customs so I was out the $7. I have used estafetaMembers perhaps 3-4 times, with varying results. Sometimes I get the shipment in a few days, sometimes two weeks. If it is your first time I would start small and see how it goes.

That Acnomel is available on ebay.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts