Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I am 22 years old and currently living with my mother who lives in a 2 bedroom Council flat. She gets housing benefit, but I don't. I'm under DLA. I want my girlfriend from the US to come live with me. I've been reading up a lot and I know that you need to prove that you can maintain and accommodate. I've worked out my money and my income. I will be able to afford the 483 pounds a month, due to being exempt from the requirement of 18,600. (I believe I have this right.) The main question really is if they would consider my mother's 2 bedroom council flat, where she gets housing benefit, as reasonable accommodation. She does not charge me any rent whatsoever so it makes meeting the monthly mark of 483 that much easier.
Of course we wouldn't plan to stay there forever. It'd just be for a while and for the UKBA to see that she does indeed have a place. The bedroom that we'd be able to use would be big enough for us both, as it is a double-room. And I read that a 2 bedroom flat can accommodate up to 3 people, and that's all there'd be with my girlfriend coming to join me.

I also should've mentioned that she'll be coming on a fiance visa and then we'll apply for a spouse. :)

I really need to know...

Thank you so much

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
2-bedroom council flat is fine, provided your mother gets the council's approval in writing for your fiancée to move in. To sponsor her visa. you need £112.55 per week left after housing cost and council tax. Once you get her visa and she moves in, your mother must notify the council about change in circumstance, emphasising your fiancée is subject to immigration control with no recourse to public funds. A property inspection report, often done for a fee by the council, will be useful too, as the accommodation is shared. And council tax statement and utility bills as proof of occupation.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2-bedroom council flat is fine, provided your mother gets the council's approval in writing for your fiancée to move in. To sponsor her visa. you need £112.55 per week left after housing cost and council tax. Once you get her visa and she moves in, your mother must notify the council about change in circumstance, emphasising your fiancée is subject to immigration control with no recourse to public funds. A property inspection report, often done for a fee by the council, will be useful too, as the accommodation is shared. And council tax statement and utility bills as proof of occupation.
Thank you so much Joppa!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, one last question if you are able, Joppa!

Am I right to believe that this sum is correct for her since I am not paying any rent or council tax?

12 x 482 = 5784

Thanks so much for helping me

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Sorry, one last question if you are able, Joppa!

Am I right to believe that this sum is correct for her since I am not paying any rent or council tax?

12 x 482 = 5784

Thanks so much for helping me
Not exactly. You have to show that you have £112.55 per week left over after paying rent and council tax. If you pay neither than you just have to show that you are receiving £112.55. Your above calculation is a little short.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Divide 5784 by 52 to get the weekly amount. At £111.23, you are £1.32 short, which can easily be made up through savings - £171.60 left untouched for 6 months before application.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply both!

I've just been really worried about this to the point that I lose sleep.

I having around 2 thousand in savings and am due to start work, bringing an anual income of atleast 10-11k.

Am I still exempt even if I get the low-rate of DLA at 20-ish pounds a week?

I apologize for so many questions

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.