Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I have lived together since September 2015.

Initially in Hong Kong (September 2015 until November 2016), and now in the UK (December 2016 until present) .

In both countries she was on a visitor visa:

* in Hong Kong she had to leave the country every 30 days
* in the UK she has to leave every 6 months

These past two years she has always been searching for a job, but unfortunately with no luck.

As such for the past two years I have paid all expenses. Rent, food, bills, holidays.

I just want to check what they actually mean by "do you and your sponsor have any shared financial responsibilities?".

In one sense we do, as I have the responsibility to pay for everything for us both. But I guess they mean a shared mortgage, lease agreement or such?

Should my answer be "no"?
Then add a letter to explain that she's been out of work for 2 years, largely because of companies being unwilling to employ someone who needs a visa?

Thanks for your help.
Matthew.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
To apply as unmarried partners you have to have cohabitated with shared responsibilities like joint tenancy, joint bank accounts and joint bills for 2 years. Time spent on visitor visa doesn't count as cohabitation.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I would also be concerned with how she has lived in the UK since December 2016 on a visitor's visa.

Vistitor's are only allowed to stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months, in a 12 month period. So your statement, that she needs to leave the UK every 6 months, is incorrect. she needs to leave the UK every 6 months, and not return for a full 6 months, if that makes sense?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To apply as unmarried partners you have to have cohabitated with shared responsibilities like joint tenancy, joint bank accounts and joint bills for 2 years. Time spent on visitor visa doesn't count as cohabitation.
Thanks for your input.
We did speak to an immigration lawyer about this, and he thought it would be more difficult because of her visa status over the past 2 years. But we had a chance by telling our story and appealing to the discretion of the immigration official.

Nevertheless, I think your answer is "no".
And we should explain ourselves in an additional letter.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would also be concerned with how she has lived in the UK since December 2016 on a visitor's visa.

Vistitor's are only allowed to stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months, in a 12 month period. So your statement, that she needs to leave the UK every 6 months, is incorrect. she needs to leave the UK every 6 months, and not return for a full 6 months, if that makes sense?
As I understand it, there's a guidance but no hard rule on the 6 month thing.

There is no specified maximum period which an individual can spend in the UK in
any period such as ‘6 months in 12 months’. However, if it is clear from an
individual’s travel history that they are making the UK their home you should refuse
their application.
But I agree that's a point that makes our situation more difficult.

As it happened we stayed in the UK for 3 months, and then 6 months.
And now we're off to her home country to apply for the visa.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
For unmarried partners they are looking for concrete evidence that you've lived together with shared responsibilities. They will expect to see 6 examples from each of you in the form of official post from providers like gas, electric, water, council tax, HRMC, NHS, banks. If you can't provide that, along with the fact that she's been a tourist, your chances are zero. A letter of explanation isn't going to make any difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In your case, the application will most likely be refused. Your girlfriend didn't own any residentship during her stay in the UK. And the stay as a visitor (tourist) doesn't count towards living together.
If your girlfriend is aged between 18-30, she could go for the tier 5 yms visa. The visa gives her two years time staying in the UK. She could live with you during those two years. Then you can apply for the unmarried partner visa.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Following up on this.

The advice we received here did make me doubt our chances, and think twice about spending the money,
But as it happened we applied, and got the visa!

To summarise the financial aspects of our claim:

* We said we had "no shared financial responsibilities"
* We showed that I had paid for many things over our two years together (rent, holidays, utility bills, etc)
* We provided lots of flight tickets together
* We provided several friend, family, and colleague statements saying we had lived together for the period
* We provided bank statements showing we had significantly more than the financial requirements
* We annotated my 6 months of bank statements showing shared trips, meals, and other expenses

Importantly:

* we had no shared bank accounts
* we had no shared lease
* we had no shared bills

But that was ultimately enough.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
:eek:

Mrs. May will never get her figures down with this sort of result !!!! :D

Reactions: sprite75