Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe everyone, be it new or those in waiting will be adversely affected by the new priority processing announce recently by DIAC.

I lodged in my visa application via appointed agent in Malaysia on Jun 2008. I have gone through the initial processes till the stage of waiting for state nomination reply. Initially I was offered SA as my nominated sponsor state but due to my profession in IT, I opted VIC instead. I been accessed twice by ACS and used the 2nd accessment (computing profesionals, asco 2231-79) to apply for VIC state sponsorship.

Last couple of days I received email notification from DIAC and it says...

Australian Government
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Level 4, 55 Currie Street Adelaide SA 5000 • GPO Box 1638 ADELAIDE SA 5001
Telephone: + 61 1300 364 613 (outside Australia) • 1300 364 613 (within Australia)
29 October 2009

Dear Sir/Madam
General Skilled Migration (GSM) Priority Processing Arrangements

The Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Senator Chris Evans, has, in accordance with Section
499 of the Migration Act 1958, given a Direction setting processing priorities for certain skilled
migration visa applications. This Direction applies from 23 September 2009 to all skilled migration
applications, including those in the final stages of processing.
The Direction gives priority to employer sponsored applicants and to applicants who have a
nominated occupation which is in critical need, and are either sponsored by a State/Territory
government or by a family member.
Section 51 of the Migration Act 1958 contains powers by which the Minister can consider and
finalise visa applications in an order of priority that the Minister considers appropriate. Officers of
the Department of Immigration and Citizenship are bound to follow this Ministerial Direction which
applies to every stage of visa processing.
All General Skilled Migration (GSM) visas are subject to the processing priorities set out in
Direction 42 Order of consideration – certain Skilled Migration visas, except for:
• Skilled – Recognised Graduate Subclass 476;
• Skilled – Designated Area – Sponsored Subclass 883;
• Skilled – Regional Subclass 887.
These applications will continue to be processed in the order in which they were received by the
Department.
The Direction gives the following processing priorities (with highest priority listed first):
1) applications from persons who are employer sponsored under the Employer Nomination
Scheme and the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme;
2) applications from persons who are nominated by a State/Territory government and have
nominated an occupation on the Critical Skills List (CSL);
3) applications from persons who are sponsored by family and who have nominated an
occupation on the CSL;
4) applications from persons who are neither nominated nor sponsored but who have
nominated an occupation on the CSL;
5) applications from persons who are nominated by a State/Territory government and have not
nominated an occupation on the CSL;
6) (i) applications from persons who have nominated an occupation that is listed on the
Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL); and
(ii) applications from persons who are sponsored by family and have not nominated an
occupation on the CSL;
7) all other applications are to be processed in the order in which they are received.
The CSL is a list of occupations developed in response to the changing critical skills needs of
Australia. The CSL can be found on the Department’s website at:
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf
This new Processing Priority Direction replaces the previous Processing Priority Direction which
commenced on 1 January 2009.
The processing priority arrangements change the order in which applications are processed and the
length of time it will take to finalise applications. However, these changes have not affected the
requirements to be satisfied for the grant of a visa.
As the economic situation changes, the Government will review its measures to ensure that the
program target and objectives are achieved.
How are you affected?
As your nominated occupation is not on the CSL and you have applied for an offshore GSM visa it
is unlikely that your visa will be finalised before the end of 2012.
Your ‘nominated occupation’ is the occupation you nominated at the time you lodged your
application and can not be changed.
The priority processing arrangements apply to all applications, irrespective of the date your
application was lodged; whether health and character clearances have been provided or your
application is in the final stages of processing or your nominated occupation was previously on the
CSL.
Please note that these application processing times are based on the current visa application rate, the
Processing Priority Direction (in effect from 23 September 2009), and the availability of places in the
Migration Program.
You will be contacted when your visa application is re-allocated to a case officer. Please do not
contact the Department to request your application be exempt from the Minister for Immigration and
Citizenship’s Priority Processing Direction as case officers must adhere to the Minister’s Direction.
Processing priorities are subject to change. Any changes to these priorities or processing times will
be updated on the Department’s website. See: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilledmigration/
whats-new.htm
Providing outstanding documents
If you were previously requested to undergo further health and character checks but have not yet
initiated these, you should not proceed until a further request is made by the Department.
If you have already undergone your health and character checks, these should be forwarded to the
Department. However, processing of your application will not be finalised until further notice.
Unless you are advising the Department of a change in your personal circumstances (for example,
changes to address, contact details or family composition) no further documentation should be
provided by you until your case officer contacts you.
Your visa status
For Offshore GSM applicants (subclasses 134, 136, 137, 138, 139, 175, 176, 475, 495 (offshore), and
496) who are in Australia, bridging visas are not applicable to your application. To remain lawfully
in Australia you will need to ensure you continue to hold a visa (such as a Tourist or Student visa).
Can I provide a new skills assessment?
If you obtain a new skills assessment for an occupation included on the CSL, this can only be
considered with a new application. You must ensure you meet the legislative criteria in place at the
time of lodgement. Any new application will require a new Visa Application Charge (VAC).
Can I withdraw my application and get a refund of my Visa Application Charge (VAC)?
If you wish to withdraw your application, you must advise the department in writing. This advice
can include any number of applicants but must be signed by each person aged 18 years and over.
You may seek a refund of the VAC; however legislation provides only limited circumstances in
which refunds may be given. A VAC is usually only refunded when an application is deemed
unnecessary or was made as a result of a mistake by either the applicant or the Department.
A refund will not be given in circumstances where an applicant considers a ‘mistake’ was made
because they:
• changed their mind;
• do not satisfy a criterion for visa grant; or
• do not wish to proceed with their application because it will take longer to process than
expected.
Where can I get further information?
The case officer previously assigned to your application will no longer be able to assist with
enquiries about your application.
Information on skilled visa processing is updated regularly and can be obtained by sending a blank
email to: [email protected] (for applications being processed in Adelaide) or
[email protected] (for applications being processed in Brisbane). This is an
automated email service.
Further advice and information concerning priority processing arrangements and other changes to
General Skilled Migration visas is available on the Department’s website at:
What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration
Yours sincerely
Sunita Krishnan
General Skilled Migration
GSM Adelaide
Phone: +61 1300 364 613

So I think the wise thing I should do now is to wait and hopes the order of processing will revise and get reply and need not waits till end 2012....My migration keeps mum on this when I refered to them for advice.

Appreciates if someone can sheds some light here...TQ mate!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when did you lodge for Victoria SS?

r u in CSL?
My agent lodged the VIC SS application around early Aug 09. My ACS accessment with asco 2231-79 computing professionals UNIX. Not sure if my Vic SS application affected by new ruling? Am a bit doubtful if my agent fwd the application timely as they couldn't tell me the exact date the application was lodged after numerous follow up.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi,

Since ur skill is Unix, u r in CSL category.........U must have got Case Office already bcos ppl who launched in the month of feb/Mar 2009 with CSL already got the CO and most of them got the visa also.
Follow up with consultant....most ppl r not doing properly.

Regarding Vic SS, if it was applied surely ur consultant must have user ID and pw for login, ther ur lodgement date will be mentioned with ur case ID.....

I think its the time for u to ask ur agent of ur details completely...possible cross check.

Regards

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Since ur skill is Unix, u r in CSL category.........U must have got Case Office already bcos ppl who launched in the month of feb/Mar 2009 with CSL already got the CO and most of them got the visa also.
Follow up with consultant....most ppl r not doing properly.

Regarding Vic SS, if it was applied surely ur consultant must have user ID and pw for login, ther ur lodgement date will be mentioned with ur case ID.....

I think its the time for u to ask ur agent of ur details completely...possible cross check.

Regards
Thanks rangola1 for your advice, will follow up with the consultant and will update on this thread as reference for those who might be in same shoe like me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts