Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I am in midst of severing my ties with Canada so I can file as non-resident. Anyone have any experience with doing this?

I have been told that it is critical that you can provide proof to the CRA of severing your ties with Canada such as letters that have been sent to cancel credit cards, bank accounts and health card. Also, that these letters have to include your overseas address. Is this true?

I am able to cancel my online bank account and credit card by phone. They do not require anything written. Also, the official form to cancel your Ontario health insurance card (change of information sheet) does not require you to fill in an address. You just have to provide name, health card number, date of birth and effective date for leaving Canada.

So I guess my question is what is the correct way, from the CRA's point of view to sever my ties?

Many Thanks

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
I am able to cancel my online bank account and credit card by phone. They do not require anything written.
OK, but do they require you not provide a written cancellation request? Just because you have one method available (telephone) doesn't mean that you cannot use another available method (written postal mail). If the CRA prefers method #2, use that.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I hope you can turn over this situation asap. best wishes to you.:fingerscrossed:

Hi Everyone

I am in midst of severing my ties with Canada so I can file as non-resident. Anyone have any experience with doing this?

I have been told that it is critical that you can provide proof to the CRA of severing your ties with Canada such as letters that have been sent to cancel credit cards, bank accounts and health card. Also, that these letters have to include your overseas address. Is this true?

I am able to cancel my online bank account and credit card by phone. They do not require anything written. Also, the official form to cancel your Ontario health insurance card (change of information sheet) does not require you to fill in an address. You just have to provide name, health card number, date of birth and effective date for leaving Canada.

So I guess my question is what is the correct way, from the CRA's point of view to sever my ties?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
We did it 15 years ago and it was very straightforward. That is not particularly useful advice, as things may have become stricter. Also it was the one time I had my taxes done so I don't know how it was handled in detail.

We kept our bank accounts, one credit card, and RRSPs - it may not be necessary to get rid of all financial accounts. We had no property (save for some possessions jammed into a storage locker). We didn't liquidate every bureaucratic tie, we just moved and filed as non-resident.

Beyond that I can't say anything specific. Follow the CRA guidelines and document whatever it's possible to document.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We did it 15 years ago and it was very straightforward. That is not particularly useful advice, as things may have become stricter. Also it was the one time I had my taxes done so I don't know how it was handled in detail.

We kept our bank accounts, one credit card, and RRSPs - it may not be necessary to get rid of all financial accounts. We had no property (save for some possessions jammed into a storage locker). We didn't liquidate every bureaucratic tie, we just moved and filed as non-resident.

Beyond that I can't say anything specific. Follow the CRA guidelines and document whatever it's possible to document.
Thanks for your reply. One question, did you apply for non residency before you left or after you left?

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Thanks for your reply. One question, did you apply for non residency before you left or after you left?
After. Definitely not before. I don't think we did anything specific until we filed taxes the following year, but it was a long time ago so I don't really remember - my sister-in-law the accountant might have filed something for us shortly after we'd left.

In our case we wanted non-residency declared on the specific date of travel because of our complicated (but successful) plan minimize the capital gains owing on the stock options I had from the software job I'd just quit. (We left a month after the IPO but had a six-month employee lockout. Sometimes I miss the late-nineties boom.) Hence the accountant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for all of your replies. I spoke with the CRA and they said they did not care about receiving written confirmation of severed ties just said sever what you need but don't need to provide proof.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts