Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

apologies if this has already been asked however I couldnt find mention of it on the forum.

My partner and I are married and he currently lives in the US. We are ready to apply for a spouse visa and I have been reading up and know which visa I needed to apply for when I then came across the new 'online application' website for UK visa's.

My question is around the visa he should be applying for as they are now called Visitor and Settlement however the visitor visa gives you 3 options

up to 2 years
up to 5 years
up to 10 years

I was under the impression that the spouse visa would grant 2.5 years and then we would need to renew / re apply however these new options are causing a little confusion.

Am i right in thinking that

- He should apply for a long term visitor - up to 2 years
- This visa will allow him to work in the UK and then renew for a further 2 years which will then in turn let him apply to settle?
- A settlement visa is only for people currently in the UK on a long term visitor visa?

I know these questions seem fairly basic, I had done my reading and knew which to manually apply for however the online application website has thrown me slightly.

If anyone has any previous experience with the online application website your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi all

apologies if this has already been asked however I couldnt find mention of it on the forum.

My partner and I are married and he currently lives in the US. We are ready to apply for a spouse visa and I have been reading up and know which visa I needed to apply for when I then came across the new 'online application' website for UK visa's.

My question is around the visa he should be applying for as they are now called Visitor and Settlement however the visitor visa gives you 3 options

up to 2 years
up to 5 years
up to 10 years

I was under the impression that the spouse visa would grant 2.5 years and then we would need to renew / re apply however these new options are causing a little confusion.

Am i right in thinking that

- He should apply for a long term visitor - up to 2 years
- This visa will allow him to work in the UK and then renew for a further 2 years which will then in turn let him apply to settle?
- A settlement visa is only for people currently in the UK on a long term visitor visa?

I know these questions seem fairly basic, I had done my reading and knew which to manually apply for however the online application website has thrown me slightly.

If anyone has any previous experience with the online application website your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Visitor visas are valid for 2/5/10 years but you can only be in the UK for a maximum of 6 months each year. They are also strictly no work. They basically remove the inconvenience of applying for multiple tourist visas if you're a regular visitor to the UK.

For a spouse visa, you can apply outside the UK and you are given an initial 33 months.

Please research this thoroughly before applying as it is very costly. Try starting here https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

·
Registered
39,127 Posts
For fiancé visa, select Settlement > Settlement > Marriage at online visa application site visa4uk.fco.gov.uk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, we don't need the fiance Visa as we are already married. He isn't coming to the UK in order to get married. We are applying for the spouse visa.

I was under the impression that the settlement visa was only for people who have been living in the UK for 2 years on another type of visa. The website states this.

We are currently updating our online visa application service. You may be able to apply using our new service for visit visa applications if you are applying for a:

- Standard Visitor Visa
- Marriage Visitor Visa
- 1 month Permitted Paid Engagements visa

Does this mean that the visa I need is not supported on the website and I need to physically print the form and apply?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi, we don't need the fiance Visa as we are already married. He isn't coming to the UK in order to get married. We are applying for the spouse visa.

I was under the impression that the settlement visa was only for people who have been living in the UK for 2 years on another type of visa. The website states this.

We are currently updating our online visa application service. You may be able to apply using our new service for visit visa applications if you are applying for a:

- Standard Visitor Visa
- Marriage Visitor Visa

Does this mean that the visa I need is not supported on the website and I need to physically print the form and apply?
You follow Joppa's advice above. The

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But he isn't my fiancé. He is my husband. The fiance Visa is something different. With a fiance visa you aren't allowed to work in the UK

·
Registered
228 Posts

- Standard Visitor Visa
- Marriage Visitor Visa

You follow Joppa's advice above. Your first application must be from outside the UK. You get initially entry clearance for 2.5 years and then, from inside the UK, you apply for an extension. After a total of five years, you can apply for indefinite leave to remain and, possibly citizenship.

If yo get a 2 year visitors visa, what you will have is a two year multiple entry visa with a limit of six months per trip/year. If you then want to settle, you are required to apply from outside the country.

·
Registered
228 Posts

- Standard Visitor Visa
- Marriage Visitor Visa

You're reading this wrong. What it is saying is that there is a new online application form (besides the one you are looking at) that applies to the three type of visas listed.

Create an account and username and you will see the options for the visa that we are describing.

Spouse visa, not fiancé visa.

Also, I suggest doing plenty of research on the documentation required. I added a link somewhere above to the government information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.