Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband is a UK citizen We will be moving from the US to the UK in July. The company he works for presently wants to keep him on as a contractor after we leave.

My question is will I qualify for a settlement visa if he will be contracted to the US company while working in the UK. We will still be living in the US with him working for US company when I apply for my visa.

Complicated stuff this!

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
My husband is a UK citizen We will be moving from the US to the UK in July. The company he works for presently wants to keep him on as a contractor after we leave.

My question is will I qualify for a settlement visa if he will be contracted to the US company while working in the UK. We will still be living in the US with him working for US company when I apply for my visa.

Complicated stuff this!
By July the new rules on family migration may have come in, details of which we don't know yet. Whether the kind and source of your husband's income will have any bearing on your visa application is still undecided.

As things stand, provided there are sufficient combined financial resources from incomes, savings and external sponsorship come to (a fairly modest) minimum maintenance requirement (around £13,800 a year before tax), you will qualify.

We'll just have to wait and see. If you can bring forward your application to this side of June, it will save a lot of anxiety.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you -

One last question We will start looking for a place to rent only after I have sent in my visa application. Will my application be accepted if I do not have a firm address to give them?

If I apply for a settlement visa (I'm in Chicago) at the beginning of May, am I allowing enough time if we are leaving the US on the 4th of July?

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
Thank you -

One last question We will start looking for a place to rent only after I have sent in my visa application. Will my application be accepted if I do not have a firm address to give them?
That would be ok but it will look better if you can stay with his parents or other relatives until you secure a place of your own. They need to write a letter formally offering you to stay with them, with indication of how many bedrooms and number of people living.

If I apply for a settlement visa (I'm in Chicago) at the beginning of May, am I allowing enough time if we are leaving the US on the 4th of July?
Typical proceesing time is currently 7 days (because of Easter etc), which translates to an overall turnaround time of 14 days or so, but this isn't guaranteed. While it's rare for anyone to be kept waiting for two months, it's not unknown. So don't make a concrete plan to travel (by getting a fixed itinerary tickets, for example) until you get your visa.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.