Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an American who applied for a settlement visa just recently through visa4uk. I paid for priority processing and the round trip courier service through VFS, plus I paid for the health surcharge.

We are scheduled to be married on October 3rd in England. How long does this specific visa last for and am I able to work? I have been getting conflicting answers, one being that I have to apply again for a spouse visa in 6 months and the other being that this visa lasts for 2.5 years.

Once I receive this initial visa, will I be able to work immediately or will I have to be married first? Can someone please clarify for me.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
So you applied for a fiancé visa which is good for 6 months and you must marry in that time. You cannot work. After you marry you apply for FLR (M) which is good for 2.5 years. Once FLR (M) has been issued you can work. The NHS Surcharge does not apply to those applying for a fiancé visa so you should get a refund.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently I cannot get a refund until they process my application. I already wrote my IHS reference number on the application and per the IHS refund directions online, I cannot get a refund until the application is processed.

Can I still use that same IHS reference number when I apply for the FLR (M). I understand this may be a far fetched question, but I'm hoping somebody here might know.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I think to avoid any confusion, you should get a refund on IHS and pay again for your FLR(M) and generate a new reference number.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already wrote the IHS reference number on the hard copy of my fiancee visa application on the front page. Is there anyone in the community that has done this already? Simple mistake on my part, especially since this was a 6 months or under visa but it is what it is.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
When your application is processed, they will refund your IHS. Then you pay again when you do your FLR(M) in UK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.