Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there . I sincerely hope someone can advise me. My husband who is a British citizen are planning on returning to uk at the end of May next year. We intend to spend a month in Greece before the uk so would be leaving Australia at the end of April . We meet all the requirements including the financial requirements. A good friend who runs a building business has guaranteed work for him on our return. So all was going well until we discovered that I need to hand over my passport and will be without a passport for the time it takes to process the application. I'm assuming that this could be up to or more than 3 minutes months. So we would need to apply for the visa the end of January. BUT I have already paid to attend a 5 day conference and training course in the UK from February 26. What on earth can I do? If we wait til I return from the course in early March and apply I may not have my passport back in time for Greece. Could we apply for the visa in November assuming it will be back for February? Then would I be able to enter the uk on the visa ( my husband will not be travelling with me) attend the conference, return to Australia in early march and then enter the uk again at the end of May with my husband? If that is not viable I understand that I can pay a whopping extra amount of plus £500 for priority processing if we lodge in early March allowing two months for processing but still no guarantee? I really would appreciate advice from someone who knows a bit more about entry clearance requirements, time frames etc. Many thanks .

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Can you apply for a second passport? I don't know about Australia but many countries allow their citizens to hold more than one passport, esp for business travellers who have to submit their passport for a visa and still want to travel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response Joppa. I could look in to a section bc passport. However will u be able to travel in to the uk on one passport while the other one is being held for uk visa processing ?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes, as you have essential travel need unconnected with your settlement visa application. Make sure you carry documentary evidence of the course you are attending.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much once again from Australia and good morning to you Joppa! I have found out that you can indeed get a second passport in Australia but it's not an easy process and is a discretionary decision. I am also concerned that at the U.K. Border they may be very concerned that I'm trying to enter the U.K while waiting for a visa - would they maybe think that I might overstay if the spouse visa wasn't granted? I'm saying this because last year I entered the uk in April to transit through to Greece . We then travelled back to the uk in July for 4 weeks. We then travelled to Italy for a wedding and returned to uk the day before our flight home to Australia. All was ok with me entering at Heathrow and Gatwick airports but when we returned from Italy into Luton the immigration officer for whatever reason wrote in my passport that I could only enter for 48 hours. This is despite being given entry clearance for 6 months way back in April. So I fully understand that the officer at the border has discretion on entry and perhaps because I was entering with my husband who is British citizen he thought I was an overstay risk. These sorts of things do make me wary and uncomfortable because I would never stay in any country illegally. So I'm wondering if we should look at applying for my settlement visa in November and allowing 3 months for processing. So in this situation could my husband and I enter on the spouse visa the end of February, return to Australia, then going to Greece in late April ( we would have to transit through uk for the flight to Greece) and back to uk in late may for settling in the uk? Is there a time frame for entering the uk once the visa has been granted? I'm so sorry this is complicated but I don't want to do anything wrong .

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
The trouble with that is it can take longer for settlement visa to be issued, and you need to have at least 30 months left on your visa when you start your UK residence.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hello there . I sincerely hope someone can advise me. My husband who is a British citizen are planning on returning to uk at the end of May next year.
One an unrelated point - your British Citizen husband may want to consider getting Australian citizenship before returning to the UK if he qualifies for it and not already done so. This will give him the option of returning to Australia for short visits and long stays at anytime he wants.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One an unrelated point - your British Citizen husband may want to consider getting Australian citizenship before returning to the UK if he qualifies for it and not already done so. This will give him the option of returning to Australia for short visits and long stays at anytime he wants.
Hi there its been a while since I have logged on but thanks for your pos. My husband has Australian permanent residence which is equivalent Indefinite Leave to Remain. So he can come back in to Australia I the future, however if he is out of the country for more than 5 years he just needs to complete a returning resident application. He hasn't thought about applying for citizenship at this stage since to be honest the only benefit he would get would be an Aus passport and he has a British one and the right to vote!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi there its been a while since I have logged on but thanks for your pos. My husband has Australian permanent residence which is equivalent Indefinite Leave to Remain. So he can come back in to Australia I the future, however if he is out of the country for more than 5 years he just needs to complete a returning resident application. He hasn't thought about applying for citizenship at this stage since to be honest the only benefit he would get would be an Aus passport and he has a British one and the right to vote!
I am just thinking ahead - rather than going back to Australia every five years to keep his permanent residence, your husband can apply for Australian citizenship which means that he can go back to Australia at any time he so wishes. You need to remember that immigration law is liable to change which can catch your husband out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.